Author Topic: Bag for Stoker  (Read 3970 times)

Bag for Stoker
« on: 04 February, 2021, 04:44:58 pm »
What do people use as a bag with easy access for the stoker? I'm think either a saddle bag mounted on the pilot saddle or a bar bag on the stoker bars? Any recommendations? Thanks, Ian

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Bag for Stoker
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2021, 04:54:35 pm »
My stoker uses a top tube bag tucked under the stoker stem. A short captain puts the stoker stem too low for this to work. Anything too wide between my saddle and the stoker bars clashes with my stoker’s hands when they are on the tops. We have a tiny tool/tube bag tucked under my saddle for flat repairs. Other repair stuff (second tube, spare tyre and cables, etc.) goes into my handlebar bag or the saddlebag during brevets. My stoker can get food and other stuff out of the saddlebag side pockets without stopping pedalling.

There isn’t enough room around my hamstrings for a wide bag under the stoker bars unless it angles towards the stoker. Then the stoker’s knees hit the bag when we are climbing out of the saddle.

Stokers tend to load up my jersey pockets with all sorts of things, including food. If I try to get something out of my pockets, I tend to elbow the stoker, so I rely on the ‘in-flight trolley dolly’ (usually a bloke) for that sort of thing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2021, 06:46:27 pm »
How big a bag? We have used fabric bottle holders mounted on the stoker bars (facing backwards). Can pop small snacks, phone, sunglasses etc in there and easy to access. We did try a saddlebag but it was quite tricky to access on the move.

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2021, 07:12:25 pm »
I think this would be a good swop - everyone knows the stoker isn't pedalling (or peddling, as the latest copy of CTC mag. has it).

bairn again

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2021, 08:20:30 pm »
For all the reasons LWaB said, my stoker uses one of these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-tribag-top-tube-bag/rp-prod11335?gs=1&sku=sku34738&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Yeji4bR7gIVqIFQBh2X-g4IEAQYCSABEgLri_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anything bigger will cause more problems than it solves.

Ive just fitted a handlebar bag to our tandem so I also have ready access to stuff I can always pass supplies back on request. 

« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2021, 07:24:30 am »
Ive just fitted a handlebar bag to our tandem so I also have ready access to stuff I can always pass supplies back on request.

On our tandem, supplies are rather handed from back to front.  Captain's jersey pockets for the food, and a small saddle bag for the rest of the stuff. Navigation is assisted either by the smartphone on front bar, or by a traditional map/routesheet pinned on the back of captain's jersey.

A