Author Topic: Slipping seatpost  (Read 2440 times)

Slipping seatpost
« on: 22 June, 2021, 09:23:11 pm »
Since I am now using the Montana for some slightly longer rides than it was bought for I have a problem of the seatpost slipping down presumably because I am bouncing on the saddle a bit. The frame design has a very shallow depth where the seatpost is a close fit and the rest a lot looser. I have already put an extension on the post (the id is exactly 25.4mm, luckily) so folding the bike means that the post comes out rather than sliding down the tube. To cure the post sliding I am thinking of putting a 3mm screw into it as a stop at the right height to rest on the qr collar (means that it will have to come out if anyone else wants to ride it, unlikely to happen at present).

A second idea is to repurpose an old seatpost adaptor collar to bolt on as a stop which would possibly provide better support and less agression to the qr collar.

An advantage of this mod is that I will always have the saddle at the right height. An advantage of taking the post out is that the fold becomes easier with the saddle out of the way.

Can anyone see any problems with this plan? Which idea would be better, with or without collar, (I don't have a collar the right size, it would mean stretching a 27.2mm one out to 30.4)?

On an aside changing the tyres to the Mitas bmx ones has noticeably improved the speed; next step a cassette rear wheel to sort the gearing a bit (I run out of gears, which explains the bouncing; I am not as supple as I was due to replacement knee and arthritis elsewhere). I am really enjoying this folder business!  ;D ;D ;D 8)

Re: Slipping seatpost
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:03:22 am »
Jubilee clip. One of these will definitely solve your problem.
Our Original JubileeĀ® Clip range

« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:59:55 pm »
One of these will definitely solve your problem.

I have my doubts about whether it will be tight enough on the post but I am trying it all the same. This evening's company car fetch was not really long enough to draw conclusions but so far so good. Another use for the less well-known 7mm spanner, it tightens Jubilee clips so much tighter than a screwdriver. I will try a longer ride at the week-end to test a bit harder.

Thanks for the tip, I must admit I had completely overlooked hose clips.

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2021, 07:10:26 am »
Jubilee clip.

I have my doubts about whether it will be tight enough on the post but I am trying it all the same.
I've been using one for years on my Spa Audax bike and the seatpost hasn't slipped since.

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2021, 07:44:05 am »
I have my doubts about whether it will be tight enough on the post but I am trying it all the same. This evening's company car fetch was not really long enough to draw conclusions but so far so good. Another use for the less well-known 7mm spanner, it tightens Jubilee clips so much tighter than a screwdriver. I will try a longer ride at the week-end to test a bit harder.

Thanks for the tip, I must admit I had completely overlooked hose clips.

O's ?   (Here we go - Ed.)