Author Topic: 2020/2021 Olympics  (Read 12550 times)

Re: 2020/2021 Olympics
« Reply #50 on: 30 July, 2021, 01:10:36 pm »
I always understood that the reason that GB never entered a a football team in the Olympics was because of the fear that if they did so, FIFA would insist on the same for the world cup, rather than allowing the teams from the four separate nations.
I see that there is a GB team in the women's competition.  Has the fear of FIFA's attitude passed?

* One wikipedia binge later *

One problem is that they can't qualify because Team GB doesn't compete in other competitions. This didn't apply in 2012 as we were hosting.

The women's Team GB this year is actually England, because they did best in other competitions.

All very silly.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #51 on: 30 July, 2021, 01:33:02 pm »
Thanks  grams, that's very interesting.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #52 on: 30 July, 2021, 06:24:43 pm »
I always understood that the reason that GB never entered a a football team in the Olympics was because of the fear that if they did so, FIFA would insist on the same for the world cup, rather than allowing the teams from the four separate nations.
I see that there is a GB team in the women's competition.  Has the fear of FIFA's attitude passed?
Women’s football isn’t football so it doesn’t matter.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #53 on: 31 July, 2021, 09:27:06 am »
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #54 on: 31 July, 2021, 09:42:57 am »
Sport isn’t clean, particularly when big money and prestige is involved. It is naive to think otherwise. Consider high level sport as an unscripted version of professional wrestling and it becomes more palatable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/30/usa-swimmer-ryan-murphy-sparks-war-of-words-over-doping-after-olympic-final
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #55 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:39:51 pm »
BBC athletics coverage crap as usual.  Rather than showing the live discus final (no GB competitor) they spend 25 minutes pondering why a GB athlete didn't make it to the woman's 100m final (hint - she didn't run fast enough).

Honestly, I want to see live action where possible, not a few heads in the studio endlessly pontificating.  It rarely gets beyond stating the bleedin' obvious anyway. But this has been the BBC way for years.  I guess they are justifying the wages of the presenters and "experts".
The sound of one pannier flapping

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #56 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:43:48 pm »
BBC athletics coverage crap as usual.  Rather than showing the live discus final (no GB competitor) they spend 25 minutes discussing why a GB athlete didn't make it to the woman's 100m final (hint - she didn't run fast enough).

Honestly, I want to see live action where possible, not a few heads in the studio endlessly pontificating.  It rarely gets beyond stating the bleedin' obvious anyway. But this has been the BBC way for years.  I guess they are justifying the wages of the presenters and "experts".

https://www.channel4.com/news/tokyo-olympics-best-action-often-stuck-behind-paywall

« Reply #57 on: 31 July, 2021, 12:47:45 pm »
BBC athletics coverage crap as usual.  Rather than showing the live discus final (no GB competitor) they spend 25 minutes discussing why a GB athlete didn't make it to the woman's 100m final (hint - she didn't run fast enough).

https://www.channel4.com/news/tokyo-olympics-best-action-often-stuck-behind-paywall

Yes - I know they are restricted to 2 live events, but in this case (and countless others) they choose not to show live events and instead have endless tedious studio twaddle.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #58 on: 31 July, 2021, 01:14:54 pm »
BBC athletics coverage crap as usual.  Rather than showing the live discus final (no GB competitor) they spend 25 minutes pondering why a GB athlete didn't make it to the woman's 100m final (hint - she didn't run fast enough).

On another site I look at, someone posed the question, "What is your favourite Olympic sport?"  I answered, "Throwing the pundit."  This went down pretty well.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #59 on: 01 August, 2021, 08:04:02 pm »

"Can we have two golds?"

https://twitter.com/stevemagness/status/1421854621186809857

This is just beautiful.

J
--

« Reply #60 on: 02 August, 2021, 08:04:44 am »
Yes, one of THE moments of the games so far.   :)     https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58048827  (Twitter link not working)

Also interview between them
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #61 on: 02 August, 2021, 09:53:02 am »
I want to know how the medal ceremony works for that. Presumably they only have one physical gold medal and they'll have to make another. How long does that take, who gets to go home with a medal in their luggage and who gets to wait for the postie? Whose anthem do they play: both, neither, maybe the Olympic anthem instead?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #62 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:20:40 am »
Medal ceremony today?  Perhaps we'll find out the details.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #63 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:32:06 am »
I don't know whether or not they are engraved but I would have thought there would be spare medals.  I think relay participants who are not part of the medal-winning teams but have helped in the heats are awarded medals and they can't be sure how many teams will use such tactics.  I'm not sure about it but I've heard it mentioned by commentators (so it could be wrong).

For what it's worth, I don't think the high-jumpers were necessarily being quite as Olympian and altruistic as people have enthused about.  Agreeing to share a medal (at your own, not the official's suggestion) could easily have been a way of avoiding the other athlete beating you in the jump-off.  This way no-one has to settle for silver.  But I'm still glad it happened.  I'm not so sure it'll be allowed again.  But it might, because both jumpers had identical records and jumped as high as the other.  I think a jump-off is not in the spirit of the thing, even though it could be argued that the medal would go to the most consistent jumper.  As they go down in height till one fails, the silver medallist would have failed a height he had already cleared in the competition. 

« Reply #64 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:38:53 am »
Ties don't seem to be that rare. I'm sure they have plenty of spares and protocols:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ties_for_medals_at_the_Olympics

(the odd "vacant" squares on that page all seem to be doping-related)

IIRC it's a particular problem in swimming because the the pools aren't constructed accurately enough to allow tiny time gaps to be considered significant.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #65 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:47:19 am »
One of those videos above said it was the first since 1912. They didn't specify in high jumping, but it seems that's what they must have meant.

Or perhaps they meant 2012, when there was a three-way tie for bronze, involving the same Qatari jumper.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #66 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:56:20 am »
Nasty accident for the Australians in the men's team pursuit. Handlebar failure. The time my handlebars snapped, at a lower speed, was the only time I was grateful to finish up in a bed of stingy nettles.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #67 on: 02 August, 2021, 07:39:04 pm »

I really hope Krystina Timanovskaya's flight doesn't go anywhere near Russian or Belarusian air space...

J
--

« Reply #68 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:27:58 am »
The 400m hurdles was insane. The winner obliterated his own WR, the guy in second merely smashed it! 3rd wasn't so far off the previous WR, and he was miles behind!

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #69 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:53:34 am »
There seems to be a lot of world records being destroyed just now. I wonder how it compares with previous olympic’s, I’m sure there’s a table somewhere if I CBA to look for it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #70 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:56:46 am »
In the sailing do competitors get to use their own boats or are they all the same and issued by the hosting Olympics committee ?
The sailing events I have watched all the boats look remarkably the same down to the graphics but I cant find out if that's just very tight class regulations or if they are all exactly the same.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #71 on: 03 August, 2021, 11:36:24 am »
A lot of the newer classes are strict one design all coming from the same manufacture, though older existing classes (such as the Finn) are also one design with very limited options. I believe that it’s been standard for all the boats to be provided at the olympics though so even where limited options are available, there’s very little wiggle room.

ETA
Here you are. About halfway down it says that “ Nacra 17 Multihull, the 49er and the 49erFX skiffs, sailors bring their own equipment to the Games” and the rest are provided.
Boat measuring at the olympics

« Reply #72 on: 03 August, 2021, 02:38:01 pm »
A lot of the newer classes are strict one design all coming from the same manufacture, though older existing classes (such as the Finn) are also one design with very limited options. I believe that it’s been standard for all the boats to be provided at the olympics though so even where limited options are available, there’s very little wiggle room.

ETA
Here you are. About halfway down it says that “ Nacra 17 Multihull, the 49er and the 49erFX skiffs, sailors bring their own equipment to the Games” and the rest are provided.
Boat measuring at the olympics

Thanks Beardy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #73 on: 04 August, 2021, 11:36:03 am »
Another sailing gold, a skateboarding bronze and a brace of silvers for team Kenny. Blimey thoughbut team GB are doing well out there.

« Reply #74 on: 04 August, 2021, 02:35:12 pm »
And now Gold for a British horse - at least, I assume it's British!  Then, most horses are Irish - but get slaughtered in Britain.