Author Topic: Iceland  (Read 2195 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Iceland
« on: 13 August, 2021, 03:31:39 pm »
I've got three weeks between jobs starting August bank holiday weekend.  The plan is to go to Iceland, probably cross the interior on the F26, hang about in the north for a few days, maybe take a day trip to Grimsey Island then cross back on the F35 via Geysir.  If I run out of time for the return crossing I can always get the bus back round the ring road, which fits bikes on a rack. 

Does anyone have any tips?  Apart from "Get a warm coat" and "Re-spray all your waterproofs"?  Has anyone been and can advise on what's good, what isn't, what I should see and what I should miss?  I'll probably have 16 days, maybe more if I push for an earlier flight out - what should I include on my itinerary that isn't just cycling?

Re: Iceland
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2021, 03:53:56 pm »
To be honest there’s so much round each corner . Many different volcanic landscapes.  That it is hard to recommend any one place.  If you are at a particular tourist area such as Myvatn.  Then take advantage of the long daylight hours. Any tourist coaches keep to fairly typical European daylight hours when it comes to dispensing hoards at the attractions.  So have your evening meal then head up the Caldera or volcano etc. You’ll have it to yourself.

If you want to see Puffins up close then visit Latrabjarg cliffs in the west.  There is also an emergency shelter for stranded sailors, on a cove below the cliffs. Well worth a trek down there if in the area. There is accommodation in an old school house out that way, unless you are camping.

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2021, 04:20:17 pm »
My report from 2002.   https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100602.0

Edit.  It's worth reading the old Desmond Bagley thriller "Running Blind" for a good description of the Icelandic interior.  or watch the BBC version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVJ-3iS3j8
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2021, 05:05:23 pm »
Thanks both  :thumbsup:

Edit.  It's worth reading the old Desmond Bagley thriller "Running Blind" for a good description of the Icelandic interior.  or watch the BBC version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVJ-3iS3j8

I read it when I was in school  ;D  As I recall he likes classic land rovers and killing guys who have really niche custom sniper rifles.  I'd better give the series a watch before I go.

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2021, 11:37:35 am »
Perhaps worth a watch if you've not seen it... 

GCN's 200km in Iceland:   Gravel Bike Vs MTB | Iceland Bikepacking Epic - Which Is The Ultimate All-Rounder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsAlxJjuY7E
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2021, 12:00:28 pm »
I haven't been.  I know somebody who has. If you want to PM me an email address I don't mind going and asking if they want to assist with advice, but obviously I am very much a messenger in the middle.

From the vague recollections of the tales from the pub, it was a fantastic place, well worth riding, hard work at times, and expensive.  I think they cut their trip short by a couple of days as they were able to change the flight and couldn't afford to wait until the original planned return.    However when we go to the pub it#s usually a good session so my memories are a bit hazy of somebody else's ride report.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2021, 12:57:34 pm »
Perhaps worth a watch if you've not seen it... 

GCN's 200km in Iceland:

That has given me much envy. I’ve only been to Iceland without the bike, and didn’t get any deeper in than Reykjavik (and since it was mid January, going off road would not have been possible anyway), but I’m desperate to go back and explore more.

The Rift is on my bucket list -
https://www.therift.bike

Also very much fancy the Cyclothon (a lap round the outside of Iceland) but would rather do it as a more leisurely tour than a race.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2021, 07:48:01 pm »
I hadn't seen the GCN video so thanks Andy.

Tickets are now booked: I'm going out on a Sunday and back on a Thursday, so the best part of three weeks.  That should allow for plenty of cycling and also plenty of time relaxing in hot springs  :thumbsup:

Next task: find what are the fattest tyres I can fit on the Tripster.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2021, 07:24:18 pm »
I have discovered the Troll Peninsula.  I intend to go there, log into here and post inflammatory comments about Brexit.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #9 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:32:01 pm »
I have discovered the Troll Peninsula.  I intend to go there, log into here and post inflammatory comments about Brexit.
Looks magnificent! I hope the naming is based on Myth and Magic/Fairytale rather than modern usage (hope ther aren't any bridges).