Author Topic: Leeds FC  (Read 2734 times)

Leeds FC
« on: 12 September, 2021, 05:59:01 pm »
I remember from the 70's Leeds were not only one of the most boring clubs to watch but also one of the dirtiest.

Today their fans were booing when physios rushed on to treat a serious injury to one of the Lpool players, and some booed again as he was stretchered off. 

I've never seen that in an English football game before.  There's usually a dignified truce in these circumstances with the player applauded off the pitch by all.

Morons.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: Leeds FC
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2021, 11:41:43 pm »
Match of the Day reported the Leeds fans' applauding the player in sympathy, and his responding. Contrasting versions of the same event. Wasn't there, so no way to know.

« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2021, 12:32:17 am »
The pundits I've seen quoted seem to think it was a bad accident, rather than a malicious foul worthy of a red card, so possibly at least some of the fans were booing the ref..  I remember the 70s, though - and my delight at second division Sunderland sticking it to Leeds, the dirtiest team most of us can remember, in the Cup Final.

« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:12:38 am »
There was apparently some singing of a song referencing the injury, "always the victims", and other Hillsborough songs. The "singing section" is right next to the away end, so the troublemakers tend to congregate there and the away fans get to hear it while the stadium mikes don't.

The pundits made a big song about how Klopp was complaining unnecessarily when for the last 2 games he's been warning that excessively heavy challenges are being ignored under the "let it flow" directive, and it was only a matter of time before someone was hurt. Now it's happened, they can't say that letting dirty stuff go results in injuries, so they double down on the idea that flying into a challenge with both feet off the floor and scissoring the player with the back leg is fine so long as you get the ball.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:22:47 am »
You should watch The Damned United.

Leeds is also the UK capital of animal cruelty.  It's a rough place.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:40:42 am »
The pundits made a big song about how Klopp was complaining unnecessarily when for the last 2 games he's been warning that excessively heavy challenges are being ignored under the "let it flow" directive, and it was only a matter of time before someone was hurt. Now it's happened, they can't say that letting dirty stuff go results in injuries, so they double down on the idea that flying into a challenge with both feet off the floor and scissoring the player with the back leg is fine so long as you get the ball.

Especially ironic given that the comments he made after the Burnley game were largely in response to the deliberate roughhousing of Harvey Elliott - he was clearly targeted in that game, and again yesterday.

It was a rash, clumsy tackle from behind, deserving of a red card regardless of the injury - that's not an opinion, that's the letter of the law. It was an impetuous response to being made to look like a mug by an 18yo kid. And for the likes of Gary Neville and Dion Dublin to claim it was an innocuous challenge is pure gaslighting.

As for the fans, I didn't hear the booing or the songs on the TV coverage but read about them afterwards. Pretty unpalatable. Unfortunately, you're always going to get a section of idiots. There were a few among the Liverpool fans at the Norwich game a few weeks ago too, as widely reported, but they're not representative of the fanbase as a whole. Same probably applies to Leeds.

The majority view was expressed by those who applauded Elliott as he was carried off the field.

I don't believe Leeds are an especially dirty club these days, and their football is certainly not boring.

Also, I love the city. I went to Uni there and would happily have stayed if work hadn't dragged me back down south.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2021, 10:47:14 am »
I was responding solely to what I read on the news page - I haven't actually seen the tackle, though I suppose I could look on you tube.  seems to be a plum case of "Believe half of what you see and less of what you hear" (attrib. EA Poe and adjusted by Paul Simon into "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest).  It occurs to me that the following audio doodle (li la li, as most versions have it) would be more appropriate as "lie, lie, lie"!

Peter

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2021, 10:53:27 am »
I suppose I could look on you tube

Don't. It's not nice. I only saw it in real time, which was bad enough. There's a good reason the broadcasters chose not to show replays!

adjusted by Paul Simon into "a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest).  It occurs to me that the following audio doodle (li la li, as most versions have it) would be more appropriate as "lie, lie, lie"!

Nicely put! But it feels more like a deliberate shutting down of the argument, rather than just ignoring it.

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2021, 12:22:14 pm »
They show it on the Sky highlights thing on Youtube. It's from behind, he lunges past him with the one leg to get the ball, and the trailing leg and all his weight land on Elliot's back leg.
I'm impressed they managed to put a dislocated ankle back into place on the pitch. Hopefully there are no longer term consequences.

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2021, 01:30:27 pm »
Also, I love the city. I went to Uni there and would happily have stayed if work hadn't dragged me back down south.
<OT>+1. When were you there? Never supported the football club, though my brother did/does.</OT>

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2021, 02:27:00 pm »
<OT>+1. When were you there? Never supported the football club, though my brother did/does.</OT>

Arrived Oct 91, left early 95. My mum is from Pontefract originally, but I don't recall us ever going to Leeds on any of my childhood visits to my gran - too sophisticated  ;)

Of course, that meant I was there the year Leeds last won the league. I remember the celebrations well. I could never bring myself to support the local team though - considered going along to a game but the stadium was right across the other side of the city, so could never be bothered to make the effort.

Did spend quite a lot of time at Headingley watching cricket though.

In my final year there, I was living with my girlfriend and we seriously considered moving to Hebden Bridge - this was just at the very beginning of it becoming a fashionable haven of middle class mediocrity. But then she got a job in London so we moved down together. And split up a year later. Looking back on it, I should probably have seen the writing on the wall and stayed up north.

« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2021, 08:10:22 pm »
Ah, I was there somewhat earlier than that. Actually my second visit, as I lived there as a child. I'm kind of on my second lap of the country ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2021, 11:04:07 pm »
The pundits I've seen quoted seem to think it was a bad accident, rather than a malicious foul worthy of a red card, so possibly at least some of the fans were booing the ref..  I remember the 70s, though - and my delight at second division Sunderland sticking it to Leeds, the dirtiest team most of us can remember, in the Cup Final.

My Mate Terry Who Art in Sibton went to that cup final to support Sunderland. Before he went, I forecast a Sunderland win, and he laughed at me.

My recollection of a Leeds drubbing was a little older: Colchester United were 3 - 0 up in a 1971 FA Cup match, which Leeds managed to pull back to 3 - 2.

More recently, my younger son had a Uni pal who supported 2 football teams: Leeds United and Histon United. A discussion arose: who would he support if the two teams played one another in the F.A. Cup? "Leeds,  of course! Histon wouldn't get a look in!"

The rest, of course, is Histonry. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7744743.stm
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2021, 11:38:13 pm »
My recollection of a Leeds drubbing was a little older: Colchester United were 3 - 0 up in a 1971 FA Cup match, which Leeds managed to pull back to 3 - 2.

An amazing achievement