Author Topic: Tablet battery and loom - can this connector be unclipped (non-destructively)?  (Read 940 times)

These photos are of the battery (and bits) of one of my wife's tablets which die regularly under the pressure of Netflix, Dailymotion, Tiktok etc. On this one the battery puffed up, eventually putting the screen in a great curve and peeling apart the casing of the tablet. I connected it up to a charger the other day and it still works apparently correctly. New batteries are available on the net.

1. To get the battery out I need to unplug one end of this wiring loom which runs over the top of it. The loom must be already a bit fragile, given the pressure it's resisting from underneath. Does anyone know if these connectors should pull out and what, if anything, locks them in place. They don't want to just fall out and I am loath to just pull like an idiot and destroy the loom.

2. What makes the battery puff up like that? I have had this also with a telephone battery but not to such a spectacular effect (and the telephone was rubbish anyway, from when it was new). Is it gas from a reaction during charging? I know that it is clearly marked "Do not puncture" but can one make a pinhole to release the pressure (covering it up afterwards) or will this release enough toxic substances for the USA to declare it a weapon of mass destruction and declare war on Limoges? How are these batteries made? I was expected a rigid plastic case, this is just a foil bag!

One option to keep a useable tablet would be to disconnect the battery and wire in a new one without removing the old one. It would require cutting a hole in the existing back for room for the old battery and sticking a suitable cover over the complete back with new battery piggybacked onto the board over the old one. What are the risks from the old battery if left in place and disconnected? Will it remain inert or is it likely to explode if left untouched?

Having destroyed this tablet and the Asus that preceded it (and that no local repairer wants to touch; it just needs a battery and a charging port but they say that Asus tablets just enchain the problems once they start the repair) madame now has a Galaxy. It went back under warranty after less than a month! The repairmen say that they will repair Samsungs but in this case it went to Samsung after-sales and came back working!

The black plastic bit should hinge at the connector side. Get your fingernail between the black bit and the ribbon and lift it up

The black plastic bit should hinge at the connector side. Get your fingernail between the black bit and the ribbon and lift it up

Ahh! I was right not to pull like an idiot. I was assuming the black bit was a plug, not part of the socket!!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
On some connectors like that the black plastic part slides out a mm or so before hinging up.
The main cause of good quality batteries expanding is heat, keep them cool especially when charging.  Avoid Netflix or charging with it flat on a cushion or quilt.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

On some connectors like that the black plastic part slides out a mm or so before hinging up.
The main cause of good quality batteries expanding is heat, keep them cool especially when charging.  Avoid Netflix or charging with it flat on a cushion or quilt.

Thanks for that. Now I know that Madame's browsing and charging habits are the likely cause of problems I may well have to live with a high tablet turn-over - little chance of converting her to a more "conservationist" browsing régime!! :( :(