Author Topic: Heat shrink  (Read 1000 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Heat shrink
« on: 04 October, 2021, 08:53:02 pm »
This is something I've just learned elsewhere, rather than a question: that you can shrink heat shrink by holding it in the jet of steam from a kettle. I've yet to try this myself, but might find a reason to do so soon.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Heat shrink
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2021, 09:08:29 pm »
I've used a toaster to apply heat-shrink, but not tried a kettle.  I'd have thought 100C would be a little on the cool side...

*grabs a bit to try, for SCIENCE*

*asks barakta if she'd like some TEA*

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2021, 09:10:30 pm »
I think it will depend on the heat shrink material (some shrink at higher temps) but personally, I wouldn't want to get loads of moisture inside my connection (if that were what I was using it for)

Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2021, 10:19:08 pm »
That worked better than I expected:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJHY_OGsXMA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MJHY_OGsXMA&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/MJHY_OGsXMA

The larger piece of heatshrink was rated at 125C, the other was unmarked Chinesium.  A couple of boiling cycles were needed to finish the job.

Obviously this is a stupid idea if the objective is to keep something dry by wrapping it in heatshrink!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2021, 10:33:27 pm »
Yeah, the application in which someone recommended this was to apply it as heat protection on metal handles of a camping pot.

Curious about the toaster method now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2021, 10:35:11 pm »
Turn toaster on, sans bread.  Dangle your electrical wires in between the live heating elements until nicely toasted.  What could possibly go wrong?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2021, 10:38:47 pm »
Nothing at all could go wrong but it could lead to Baldrick getting a new source of currants in General Melchett's tea cakes.

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2021, 11:44:41 pm »
Nothing at all could go wrong but it could lead to Baldrick getting a new source of currants currents in General Melchett's tea cakes.

That’s better;)

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2021, 11:45:51 pm »
Turn toaster on, sans bread.  Dangle your electrical wires in between the live heating elements until nicely toasted.  What could possibly go wrong?

On the kitchen utensils front I tend to use the little blowtorch - the bigger being more suitable for joining large copper pipe with solder

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2021, 10:19:19 am »
I used boiling water from a kettle yesterday to apply some heat-shrink to a zip toggle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2021, 12:17:17 pm »

On the kitchen utensils front I tend to use the little blowtorch - the bigger being more suitable for joining large copper pipe with solder

I was using the toaster because I was away from home, where I have a sufficiency of more optimal tools for applying heatshrink.