Author Topic: Recommissioning a chainsaw  (Read 837 times)

Recommissioning a chainsaw
« on: 10 October, 2021, 04:20:34 pm »
I’ve been gifted a barely used chainsaw, but it’s been sat for at least 3 years with 2-stroke mix (unleaded plus oil)  in it. I’ve not tried starting it, but doubt it would run.  Is it worth trying to clean the carb, or should I just replace it, given an aftermarket one on Amazon is £15, and even a genuine one can be had for £25?  I must say, I’m leaning toward replacement. Other than the carb, and I guess a plug clean, do I need do anything else? Flush out the tank?  Then I’ll get some Aspen fuel for it, as I’ll not have frequent need for it either.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Recommissioning a chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2021, 10:17:33 pm »
There's no harm in trying to start it, but empty the fuel tank and part fill with Aspen, first. It's quite possible that the fuel in the carb has evaporated. At those prices, a replacement gen. carb might be easier than stripping, cleaning, and replacing diaphragms and gaskets on the original, if it actually needs any work. I use chainsaws for my local Wildlife Trust. They don't get used for at least the summer 6 months plus, are left with fuel in the tank, and start/run OK in the Autumn. I run my own saw on Aspen though. The other thought is that the chain is likely to be gummed up and stuck in the bar, because the chain oil has lost its lighter fractions. You should be able to peel the chain off the bar then give both a good clean in your favourite solvent. I'd soak the chain in oil before running it. My experience is that if the chain is gummed, the engine won't free it; the clutch will just slip. Maybe fresh chain oil too. Hope that helps. Martin

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2021, 09:03:31 am »
And whatever you do check the chain brake isn't on before you take the side cover off

It's a bloody nightmare to get the chain brake off if you do, when I worked in an place that sold and serviced chainsaws we had to make a special tool to sort it

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2021, 09:09:42 am »
Thanks both. I'll get some Aspen first then, and give the chain a clean (that at least I'm familiar with!).  If I can't get it started I'll get a new carb.

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2021, 10:39:54 am »
Well, much to my surprise, tipping out the old fuel, filling with Aspen, and a couple of (literal) false starts, and away it went  :thumbsup:  But pleasant though it is today (Sunday) I decided that I’d not assault my neighbours ears just yet. I could move all the wood to the bottom of th3 garden to cut up, but then I’d just have to bring it all back again, and my wife has the washing out. So, looks like a Friday afternoon job.

« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2021, 07:30:42 am »
You can sharpen the chain while you're waiting to do the sawing, too.  And do some test cuts to check that you're getting big chips instead of fine sawdust.

If the bar has a roller tip, lubricate that as well.  There are special pointy devices to inject grease into the ports there.