Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255063 times)

Martin

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #175 on: 25 September, 2011, 10:45:19 pm »
Martin - would that be instead of Hengists Hills, or an additional event?

additional I think;Tim said it would work out at the same number of AAA so this would have to on the "hilly 100k section" rule I suspect, it certainly won't pick up much climbing around Romney Marsh.

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #176 on: 26 September, 2011, 12:02:21 pm »
If he wants to keep it hilly he can strike out east along the "Crown" route towards Wye, Folkestone, Dover and (ouch!) St. Margaret's Bay.

« Reply #177 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:29:10 am »

Hi everyone, decided not to return to GdS this year but glad to see it's business as usual. I was considering organising a "Crown" as I think I can get the use of a suitable base in Kennington - is there still a hole in the calendar for this and would there be interest? I've never organised before so it would be a new venture. Just a thought.

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #178 on: 27 September, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »
would there be interest?

Hi Paul - Yes, I think we all miss the "Crown". Go for it!

Martin

« Reply #179 on: 27 September, 2011, 12:52:37 pm »

Hi everyone, decided not to return to GdS this year but glad to see it's business as usual. I was considering organising a "Crown" as I think I can get the use of a suitable base in Kennington - is there still a hole in the calendar for this and would there be interest? I've never organised before so it would be a new venture. Just a thought.

Paul; I'm looking into helping set up one in Essex (yes Essex!) at the end of May / beginning of June. The calendar is looking like
Jan Hills and Mills
Feb Mad Jack
Mar Invicta Grimpeur
Apr Tour of the Sussex Hills
May free so far but the IOW is the first weekend and is a discretionary qualifier (and also DIY)
June free
July Sussex Corker
Aug Tour of the Hills / Billy's two
Sep Hengist's Hills? and maybe a 200
Oct Mid Sussex Hilly / Olympic

The Crown is by no means dead and buried; check with PatC if you were thinking of reviving it.

Billy Weir

« Reply #180 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »
+August;  AAA Milne 100 (and assuming it gets the AAA points my contour count suggests, Weald at Heart 200).

I've just registered these and next steps will be to submit details of the 200 to the AAA meister to confirm my contour count climb figure.

I did think about a 300km grimpeur, but decided against it as all of the possible routes I've plotted out would require too many controls or some less than ideal roads.

Martin

« Reply #181 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »
Billy; added yours to the list; shall I add them as provisional to the GdS page (which has no dates but has the events listed in rough chronological order)?

NB whatever AUK decide to do with the official calendar; the GdS always runs to the last calendar event which is the MSH.

Billy Weir

« Reply #182 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:28:56 pm »
Best put them down as provisional until they appear in the calendar with official AAA points.

AAA Milne is the permanent route, so will get the 1.75 AAA.

Weald at Heart will be tweaked until 3.25AAA is confirmed, but in correspondence with the AAA Man about whether I need to add infos etc (or, if this becomes cumbersome, I'll take riders up Kidds Hill instead of via Motts Mill from Forest Row to Mayfield).

PS: not relevant to the calendar events, but I am pondering radically changing the AAA Milne permanent so that it is a figure of 8 based on Forest Row, Pease Pottage, Uckfield, Langton Green, Mayfield, Forest Row.  Early planning stage though.

Martin

« Reply #183 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:41:08 pm »
Motts Mill would be nicer  :thumbsup: I well remember my first ever Audax the TBAB where 2 riders fell off due to coming to a sudden stop (plus the ride up to Argos Hill is very nice)

PS: not relevant to the calendar events, but I am pondering radically changing the AAA Milne permanent so that it is a figure of 8 based on Forest Row, Pease Pottage, Uckfield, Langton Green, Mayfield, Forest Row.  Early planning stage though.

looks interesting; do you have permission to use my roads?   ;)

« Reply #184 on: 28 September, 2011, 09:02:55 am »

The Crown is by no means dead and buried; check with PatC if you were thinking of reviving it.

I've just emailed Pat at the address I had a couple of years ago. PM me if you have a newer one so I'm not waiting in vain for a reply.

« Reply #185 on: 28 September, 2011, 10:45:38 pm »
Paul; I'm looking into helping set up one in Essex (yes Essex!) at the end of May / beginning of June. The calendar is looking like
Jan Hills and Mills
Feb Mad Jack
Mar Invicta Grimpeur
Apr Tour of the Sussex Hills
May free so far but the IOW is the first weekend and is a discretionary qualifier (and also DIY)
June free
July Sussex Corker
Aug Tour of the Hills / Billy's two
Sep Hengist's Hills? and maybe a 200
Oct Mid Sussex Hilly / Olympic

I heard back from Pat - all good, so looks like I might be on. It was previously on the end May but your Essex (!) foray will scotch that, so I might bag a slot in June - how about the 10th?

Billy Weir

« Reply #186 on: 29 September, 2011, 07:18:23 am »
I'll be amazed at your ingenuity if a grimpeur event can be put on in Essex.

Martin

« Reply #187 on: 29 September, 2011, 03:47:24 pm »

I heard back from Pat - all good, so looks like I might be on. It was previously on the end May but your Essex (!) foray will scotch that, so I might bag a slot in June - how about the 10th?

sounds good  :)

« Reply #188 on: 03 October, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »

The 10th isn't looking good for me as it clashes with something else so Martin I'm now looking at the 17 June if you're still intending on using the end May.

Martin

« Reply #189 on: 03 October, 2011, 08:28:13 pm »

The 10th isn't looking good for me as it clashes with something else so Martin I'm now looking at the 17 June if you're still intending on using the end May.

sounds good; I'll probably be doing a Grimpeur du Nord (Nord Alpes that is) that day but plan away  :)

Martin

« Reply #190 on: 16 October, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »
2012 calendar definites so far; expect Tour of the Hills in Aug and another couple hopefully in May / June

21 Jan 12 Sat  100 Hailsham      Hills and Mills                                    1.75
18 Feb 12 Sat  120 Hailsham      Mad Jack's John Seviour Memorial         2.5 
11 Mar 12 Sun  100 Otford          Invicta Grimpeur                               2     
01 Apr 12 Sun  100 Polegate      Tour of the Sussex Hills                       1.75 
08 Jul 12 Sun  100 Midhurst        Sussex Corker                                   2 
26 Aug 12 Sun  200 Edenbridge    Round Weald ride                              3.25
26 Aug 12 Sun  120 Edenbridge    Kidds Toys                                       2
20 Oct 12 Sat  100 Chailey             Mid Sussex Hilly                            1.5
20 Oct 12 Sat  100 Chailey             Mid Sussex Olympic                       1.75

a reminder; the GdS season will not be changing to the new AUK one; there are currently no calendar qualifying events in November / December so it makes sense to keep the year from November to October (perms in the first 2 months are of course eligible)

Martin

« Reply #191 on: 29 October, 2011, 08:22:19 pm »
Congratulations to the latest GdS (and only the second grimpeuse) Polepole  :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #192 on: 30 October, 2011, 09:47:49 am »
Congratulations to the latest GdS (and only the second grimpeuse) Polepole  :thumbsup:
And this from someone who says: "I don't do hills." She seemed to manage OK on the ones from Paris to Brest. And back  :thumbsup:
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #193 on: 30 October, 2011, 11:24:34 pm »
And this from someone who says: "I don't do hills." She seemed to manage OK on the ones from Paris to Brest. And back  :thumbsup:

and the ones from Hailsham to Liss and back today; the day after riding Down to Downs  :o (I had to be reminded today that I gave blood 2 days ago partly to give the Polepolemobile a chance to catch up and also as I wondered where my climbing ability had suddenly gone)

Martin

« Reply #194 on: 06 November, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
NB the 2012 GdS season opened on 1.11.11 and will close on 31.10.12;

however it's likely there will be a calendar event in November 2012 in which case the season will be extended to 31.12.12 and theafter will be a straight calendar year Jan-Dec

Hopefully riding my first ride; AAA Milne, next Sun

Martin

« Reply #195 on: 02 January, 2012, 06:07:55 pm »
first GdS x 6 already today thanks to Billy's wonderful perms; they really are an inspiration  :thumbsup: even at 07.25 on a cold climb of Ashdown Forest in the dark

what are you waiting for? there's only 25 gold badges left (ever!) you have until 31.12.12 to complete (extended season this year!)

I'm hoping to make a new perm myself soon; The Reliable, a tiddly 1.5AAA based on the ESCA RT; does a few stiff climbs near Crowborough (start) and Ticehurst and the classic climb up to Brightling from the East but generally managable if you don't try to complete in 4h 45  :facepalm:

« Reply #196 on: 02 January, 2012, 06:50:49 pm »
OGrimpeurs d'Or, 10 eligible events ridden in the same year

Eligible events include

Hailsham East Sussex Hills and Mills AA 1.75
Hailsham East Sussex Mad Jack's - John Seviour MemorialAA 2
Otford Kent Invicta Grimpeur AA 1.75 (the 50k Invicta Hilly is not eligible for the Brevet)
Edenbridge Kent Down to Downs AA 1.75
Isle of Wight 100km Randonnee AA 1.5 (non AUK) Click here for details NB now available all year round as an AUK DIY permanent, contact Martin Malins for details
Midhurst West Sussex Sussex Corker AA 2 NB this event will take a break in 2011 and run again on Sunday July 8 2012
Hailsham East Sussex The South Downs National Park 100 AA 2
Shere, Guildford Tour of the Hills AA2.25
Bredgar Kent Hengist's Hills AA 1.75
Chailey, East Sussex Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier AA 1.5 / 1.75

see Audax UK Calendar for more details.

http://www.audax.uk.net/cal

Martin Sir,

Any chance of putting the individual Calendar links up and along side each event on this list..

Here's Hills and Mills - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-77/ 

Mad Jacks JSM- http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/12-85/

Cheers,

MJ
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #197 on: 02 January, 2012, 07:17:51 pm »
there's only 25 gold badges left (ever!)
Oh gawd. OK. Hills and Mills entered. Mad Jack's about to enter. I agree re Billy's perms, they really are super. I'll have to rode both several times to get the coveted
Grimpeur d'Or
though
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #198 on: 02 January, 2012, 09:07:38 pm »
what are you waiting for? there's only 25 gold badges left (ever!) you have until 31.12.12 to complete (extended season this year!)

Oh dear-in that case I have no excuse! I'll have to go for 10 rides. I'm hoping to get 5 done by the end of April this year (2 perms) so hopefully fitting a further 5 in shouldn't prove too difficult. Famous last words.

Martin

« Reply #199 on: 03 January, 2012, 09:19:07 am »
10 this year and 10 next will bag you the coveted gold badge as you did 5 in 2011

gonna need some more medals at some stage too  :-\