Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254139 times)

Martin

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #450 on: 28 December, 2012, 06:53:37 pm »
I rode my proposed new AAA Milne perm route today; the track suggests 1.75AAA we'll see what the AAA Man says;

Starting from err where I live it makes fast progress to Groombridge (receipt and alternative start) before the classic Friars Gate drag up the forest; thence back over the forest twice via Twyford and the never before used Nutley-Duddleswell road which offers lovely views of the South Downs on any other day than today  :-\

Low point is at Barcombe (receipt and alternative start) before a long steady and very forgiving drag up with steam train spotting potential before the final assault of Stone Hill just before the finish;

I commend it to the House

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #451 on: 30 December, 2012, 10:03:42 pm »
 :-* I did the old Aaa Milne today, the fords were surprisingly low although the wind was a bit high. Bank in Forest Row is now closed but receipt from the garage over the road, which does a nice cheese and ham sarnie. The southern variation is a nicer route but longer. And the nav is trickier, although it was dark by then  :o.
 So I have done only four GdS rides in 2012. Not the five needed to get The Badge.
I wish I had done them in the summer. Now I must get out of the house and do The Reliable in the morning. Why The Reliable? Because I can enter online when I can see the weather, and know how knackered I feel. Given the forecast, I may not acquire my coveted GdS badge for 2012  :'( :'( #lastdayoftheyearblues
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Hillbilly

« Reply #452 on: 31 December, 2012, 06:58:24 am »
I rode the 2013 version of the AWE 200km grimpeur (3.5AAA), which I hope some of you will ride in the summer.  It is a fine route,  which to my tastes is superior to the event I offered in 2012.  A little shorter but a little hillier (it may have been the wind/weather, cumulative miles over the festive period, or poor feeding pattern - croissant and a rocky road were all I had - but I was feeling it at the end of the ride).  Some of the changes made reflect feedback from those who rode last year's event, others for distance/AAA purposes.

• Gone is the out and back to Keston, replaced with a trip to Farleigh (which then allows for a better descent off the North Downs)
  • Gone is the meander round the lanes by Eridge/Rotherfield, replaced with a stern climb up Kidds Hill to the Ashdown Ridge followed by a long descent to begin a meander round lanes by High Hurstwood/Five Ashes (familiar from my AAA Milne)
  • Gone is Newick Lane, replaced with a nicer climb via Scotshall Lane
  • Gone is the B road bash to Battle and back, replaced with a much nicer trip to the observatory at Hurstmonceux palace (hoping I can blag the use of the cafe, but it was closed yesterday)
  • Gone is the rolling B road from Wadhurst to Frant, replaced with a trip up to Bells Yew Green
  • A different descent off of Toys Hill is used (but not mandated)

Most of the route offers fine views, which is my key aim for this ride (and is the reason for the shunt to the observatories).  That there are hills is almost coincidental  O:-)

7 July is the date to put in your diary.  This would be a way to keep the legs prepped for LEL, especially (imo) if ECE'd up to a 300km ride, without building up sleep deprivation.

Those wanting to relive the magic of the 2012 route by entering my permanent, which is largely faithful to that version (albeit out of "24hr control" necessity stretches beyond Eynsford to control in Swanley).

Martin

« Reply #453 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:00:40 am »
Chapeau to latest GdS and first Grimpeur du Vectis (5 qualifying rides on the IOW) Hilary Searle  :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #454 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:21:13 am »
John Oakshott has just posted 2.25 points for a new hilly route in the SE portion of the map.

Alas it will not qualify for GdS as it is in Western Australia!

« Reply #455 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:07:49 pm »
This is my first attempt at the GdS and it should be very interesting as I am a cr&p climber.
 I am treating it as a make or break exercise

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #456 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:10:43 pm »
take some advice: do not leave two days at the end of December to do the two remaining rides of the five you need to get the GdS badge. You might find you can do one ride but not the second. DAMHIKT

« Reply #457 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:18:34 pm »
take some advice: do not leave two days at the end of December to do the two remaining rides of the five you need to get the GdS badge. You might find you can do one ride but not the second. DAMHIKT

one way or another I will have finished the GdS by then  ;D

Martin

« Reply #458 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:37:29 pm »
anyone think a 2013 GdS qualifier thread might be a good idea as a motivator like RRTY? it was included in the 2012 Awards thread but it rather died a death

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #459 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »
yes

Hillbilly

« Reply #460 on: 13 January, 2013, 05:47:43 pm »
SE based grimpeurs who cycle in the Surrey Hills may be pleased to know that the awful surface on the descent to Peaslake at Walking Bottom has had a fresh layer of tarmac put down and is much improved as a descent (and ascent) of Pitch Hill.  Raikes Lane also looked like it was having some work done to it on the Holmbury side (although it was dark when I sneaked past the "road closed" signs, so couldn't see exactly what the big digger was poised to do - I suspect it was reinforcing the banks at the passing places).

Martin

« Reply #461 on: 03 February, 2013, 11:04:36 pm »
I'm pleased to announce that the AAA Milne will continue under my watch; same AAA (1.75) slightly shorter (104km) 4 (count 'em) different ascents of Ashdown Forest and lots of lovely Mid Sussex lanes;

coming soon....

Hillbilly

« Reply #462 on: 04 February, 2013, 06:46:15 am »
Anyone wanting to experience my soon to be defunct, and different to Martin's version, AAA Milne route must send entries to me by the end of this month (February).  The brevet will be validated if ridden before 30 September 2013.

(And in other news, I intend to add another 200 grimpeur to the perms available.  Called the North and South Downs 200.  Makes a GdS with a 200 Brevet Randonneur more accessible.  A 300 is being worked on and will also take in the Surrey Hills, so linking the principal grimping zones in mid/West Sussex and Surrey).

Martin

« Reply #463 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:20:55 am »
I completed GdS no 7 yesterday with a DIY 200 based on Plodder's excellent Whitchurch event, it was nice to be back in Pam's old stomping ground. Some lanes were ultra skoggy though

A heads up for the 1.5AAA Lasham Loop 9 March which now qualifies, that will just be a train down and back for me as I have 3 flat 200s that month

Hillbilly

« Reply #464 on: 10 February, 2013, 11:09:09 am »
Had my first independent completers of the Sussexy Beast yesterday.  Their comment was "great ride, very challenging". 

It's getting to the time of year where a 150KM ride can be done in daylight, with lights only needed for being seen.  This gives an opportunity to make a smooth transition to longer hilly events - an extran 50/60km over 100 doesn't sound much, but is just enough to start feeling like a challenge. 

Beyond that you can look forward to the Around Weald 200 and the soon to be submitted "Hills of the Meridian" alternative.

Entries in the usual way.

PS: five AAA Milne entries remain.  Two are being held for riders who have expressed an interest.  So three to be claimed.  If these are not taken up by the end of this month you will have lost your opportunity to ride this particular route as a card based permanent.  (But fear not, Martin's new improved route will more than fill the small hole left by my ride being put to rest).

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #465 on: 10 February, 2013, 11:30:01 am »
Mr HillyBilly

Sir,
There's an entry in the post today from me.

Hillbilly

« Reply #466 on: 10 February, 2013, 12:35:56 pm »
Cool.  I'll keep an eye out for your entry.

I was wondering about offering a "group" ride to say farewell to my version of the AAA Milne, for those with cards in their drawers or newly purchased.  Perhaps 24 March.  Failing that, a "sweep up" ride in September to help ensure the cards are used up (it won't be possible to validate them if ridden after 30 September).

Any interest?

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #467 on: 10 February, 2013, 01:19:11 pm »
I cannot make march 24 as i am going to a 90th birthday celebration. And no, it's not El's.

Martin

« Reply #468 on: 10 February, 2013, 02:14:35 pm »
24/3 is Man of Kent innit? my first flat ride since December 1 (also the Man of Kent perm)

Hillbilly

« Reply #469 on: 10 February, 2013, 02:54:02 pm »
Ah, in that case, forget 24 March as a group ride.  If there are cards left out in circulation in September, I will bandy the idea of a final hurrah.

« Reply #470 on: 10 February, 2013, 07:13:27 pm »
I was one of those completing the Sussexy Beast yesterday - I wondered if others had done it before us. It was an excellent route, though relentless with all the climbing! Easy to get to the start from London so perfect for those wanting to make the jump from 100km up to 200km events, I'll do it again later in the season, but first, must complete the Around Weald 200km after dnf'ing it recently.

Very interested in the 300km as well, I was thinking of riding a solo 300 mid march and had thought of putting a couple of your perms together, any idea when you'll have the 300 ready to test out?

Joel 

Hillbilly

« Reply #471 on: 10 February, 2013, 07:24:08 pm »
I have a rough 300 route in mind.  Lingfield - Preston Park/Brighton - Cranleigh - East Horsley - Pease Pottage - Crowborough - Orpington/Green Street Green - Uckfield - Lingfield.  So takes in 3 of the hilly areas that make up the Weald, as well as Ashdown ridge, and mixes hilly with some flat bits.  Need to try it out though, as at the moment it would use rather too much of the A281 at Horsham.  Possibly in April (at a stretch, first weekend in March).

If it works, it would be "live" from June time.

(Lots of crossover with my planned Meridian 200; it's possible I will drop the idea of the 200 in preference to the 300, depending on the "tempo" of the 300).

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #472 on: 10 February, 2013, 09:14:41 pm »
a solo 300
Look at the Man of Kent 300 by Dave Winslade, starts at Tonbridge and goes eastwards across largely flat Kent, lots of food places available, returns to Tonbridge and goes westwards to Lingfield, lots of civilised pubs, shops, etc for food. Not many main roads and not too hilly. Also has trains across the Medway plain and at Tonbridge if weather goes wrong. Trains from London make it accessible, either by getting the first one down or maybe the last one from London, which would give you the chance to ride all night and get an evening train home after finishing.

Martin

« Reply #473 on: 23 February, 2013, 05:46:23 pm »
I just rode The Reliable for the first time this year to mark its emergence from hibernation (in reverse, but no easier!)

Usual pothole hazard but no worse than any other roads around these parts.
Roads are clear of Skog TM

Hope it's several (like 20) degrees warmer for the calendar event in May

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #474 on: 23 February, 2013, 06:19:31 pm »
On a scale of 1 to 10, exactly how cold were you by the end? (no fibbing)