Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255373 times)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #625 on: 14 December, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »
+1 for the Down to Downs, especially if you ride from Green Street Green. He, he!

The excellent Reliable is up there too.

You could try my little DIY The Gimp in Kent, 100km 2AAA DIY by GPS, which conveniently starts and finishes at a pub with excellent beer and a roaring log fire.

Contact me for the homework or see;

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3834190

Sorry forgot to add, there's a little bit of off road in it to spice it up a bit  ;)

« Reply #626 on: 14 December, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »
AAA Milne ridden today and very enjoyable it was too with the weather not affecting it too much!

5th GdS ride since October so I had better get the ride validated :-)

These rides are AAAddictive
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

« Reply #627 on: 14 December, 2014, 10:09:23 pm »
Next in the GdS series (calendar events) are these -

Hills and Mills http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-77/

Mad Jack's JSM http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-85/

Come on down, (TG, if you're down in this neck of the woods, free entry to both Sir)  :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #628 on: 15 December, 2014, 09:48:01 am »
Nice, first GdS set completed!

Meridian Hills 200k (cal), 3.50 AAA
The AAAnfractuous 200k (cal), 3.00 AAA
Down to Downs 100k (perm), 1.75 AAA
AAA Milne 100k (perm), 1.75 AAA
The Reliable 100k (perm), 1.75 AAA

Been fun, all good enjoyable routes and rides. All had moments of weather though.  :)

« Reply #629 on: 20 December, 2014, 10:23:21 pm »
Are there any GdS rides of 300km or 400km?

Or would it be OK to have a start of Edenbridge and ride an existing 200km perm (Around Weald) and on arrival back at Edenbridge ride a 100km perm (Down to Downs) which has the same start place?

cheers
Jim

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #630 on: 20 December, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »
No doubt martin will be along soon with chapter and verse, but as a first quick reaction I'd guess you could certainly do it if you were capable but I am unsure if you would get 3 audax points for it: you'd get 2 points for the 200 but no points for the 100, I think. You would of course get the AAA points.
IMHO all these rides are great, and I have particularly fond memories of the AAA Milne. I wear my GdS badge on my Carradice with pride.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #631 on: 20 December, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »
Makes sense  :) Got some other rides over that way planned so may just plot my own DIY once I get more familiar with the area.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #632 on: 21 December, 2014, 03:52:18 am »
I looked into doubling up the AAA Milne and The Reliable, as I could easily ride them both from Crowborough as a 200.

It seemed to be a bit tricky getting everything in place to get both the GdS credit and the 2 AUK points, so I gave up with AUK and rode them as 100's.

Basically it seems to be that you enter both rides with the permanent organiser and pay your fee to get the GdS, then combine them and enter again with AUK as a DIY by something or other and pay your fee. Whether the AUK system will throw one or not remains to be seen.

There are some 3 & 400's but they exist as DIY's and you could speak to Billy, Martin or Pat to get the tracks.

I believe that something more permanent is in the pipe, however.

Martin

« Reply #633 on: 22 December, 2014, 12:40:47 pm »
currently there are no GdS over 200 although Billy has ridden a 3 4 and 600 DIY;

if you double up or extend an existing GdS to make a longer distance it's no problem using any of my routes gratis but please ask the other organisers,

no matter what distance however if it's one ride it only counts once for the GdS

Rode an excellent GdS DIY yesterday out West which would be great to make into a perm watch this space...

if anyone wants a real challenge try entering the Rapha Festive 500 (between Dec 24th and 31st)  using just GdS (including at least one 200) did it last year but won't have enough free time this season  :(

« Reply #634 on: 22 December, 2014, 01:03:58 pm »

Audax Club Hackney (with routing input from HillBilly) are working on a 300km from London, "Greenwich Mean Climb" (4.5AAA points):

A hilly ride out of South London and through the quiet lanes of the Downs and Weald to the south coast. Featuring not one but two trips to the seaside and around 4500m of climbing. Includes refreshments at the start, a second breakfast at the first operated control and full meal at the finish with a traditional Audax Club Hackney welcome at the home of one of the organisers.

I assume this will eligible for GdS? Currently looking to schedule this into the calendar next September, as that's the best gap I've been able to find so far.

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Martin

« Reply #635 on: 22 December, 2014, 03:32:02 pm »
yes definitely GdS eligible  :thumbsup:

« Reply #636 on: 22 December, 2014, 08:50:20 pm »
Ivan, that AC Hackney ride sounds ideal, will keep an eye out for it even if I cobble together my own 300 in the meantime :-)

Martin, fine about it counting as only one GdS ride as I only need one a month to carry on the GdSRTY. I will see if Billy OK with using one of his as well and will also seek some advice on routing for a 300 km ride. Quite hooked on these now!

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #637 on: 22 December, 2014, 10:07:45 pm »
Quite hooked on these now!
Agreed. When I was riding them I found them more amenable than the 200s needed for a RRTY. Good routes in good scenery. The AAA Milne was especially good.

Martin

« Reply #638 on: 23 December, 2014, 10:27:04 am »
You've not tried the new AAA Milne, as different as I could make it to Down to Downs although no apologies for leaving in Friars Gate the most iconic climb up Ashdown Forest, coupled with the sublime road up to Wych Cross  8)

running as a calendar event on Sat July 4th with hot dogs natch  :P

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #639 on: 23 December, 2014, 11:41:52 am »
You've not tried the new AAA Milne

running as a calendar event on Sat July 4th with hot dogs natch  :P
Not yet. And on my return in March from forrin parts I will be on the bike quite a bit and GdS is in my sights.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #640 on: 23 December, 2014, 12:49:16 pm »
Does that new and improved AAA Milne avoid the motor city hell hole of East Grinstead ?

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #641 on: 23 December, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »
http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MM02/

It would appear not to avoid the delights of East Grinstead.

« Reply #642 on: 23 December, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »
Mad Jacks JSM route sheet has been revised, nothing new to worry about, just a few uneven/ muddy sections noted.
Evidence of new resurfacing too (Farthings La). Some still out in shorts and as John used to say "he is riding for arthritis research"!!!!!!  ::-)

Hills and Mills / Mad Jacks JSM route sheets are ready to fire off to those that have entered via the postal option.
Entries starting to flow in thank you, lots of new names too, so to my loyal AAA crew, don't be caught off guard if you intend to ride (limits on both rides)  ;)

I thank you..

Martin

« Reply #643 on: 24 December, 2014, 12:00:20 am »
Does that new and improved AAA Milne avoid the motor city hell hole of East Grinstead ?

if you do it by gps you can avoid the town centre and just do the short section of A22 after Herontye Drive  :) if you are after a receipt and very lucky you might find the shop in Dunnings Rd open;

or even buy a pint of Harveys at the Dunnings Mill and quadruple the cost of the ride  :o

Lurcio

• Lurcio
« Reply #644 on: 16 January, 2015, 04:50:08 pm »
Hell of the coastal hills 1.75 AAA points. Routesheet and gps are now ready to print off.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-184/
Put my medals on the table....you must be jokimg!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #645 on: 16 January, 2015, 06:28:58 pm »
I believe I can enter this one as it's straight after Yr Elenydd. It'll be my first El Supremo event and I may have a hunger on............

There you go, button pushed and I'm looking forward to a hilly weekend.

« Reply #646 on: 16 January, 2015, 06:42:29 pm »
I believe I can enter this one as it's straight after Yr Elenydd. It'll be my first El Supremo event and I may have a hunger on............

There you go, button pushed and I'm looking forward to a hilly weekend.

Have another look at the organiser for this  ;D :thumbsup:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #647 on: 16 January, 2015, 06:51:17 pm »
But,but,but....It says El Supremo catering clearly on the packet. Is this a job for the ASA ?

« Reply #648 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:02:56 pm »
The packet says-"A challenging ride with several classic climbs in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Experience the legendary catering of Dave 'El Supremo' Hudson to replace those expended calories".

Orgs the new boy on this block, well sort of (doffs cap) welcome Sir  ;D :thumbsup:

ASA never heard of em  :P
Are you keeping chicane company on H&M :-* One must apologise to chicane for this comment, no offence meant  :-X :-*

Martin

« Reply #649 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:15:33 pm »
Hell of the coastal hills 1.75 AAA points. Routesheet and gps are now ready to print off.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-184/

1893m is 2AAA in my book; not that I'm playing this year*, Aunt Maud you have competition  :demon:

* other than another AAA century to bag