Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254969 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #100 on: 22 December, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »
 Martin, how many GDS do you need to do to bag the badge..
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

« Reply #101 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:41:50 am »

5 in any AUK year, including any perms / AAA DIY's / the IOW Randonee. You Sir have already bagged it last year just need to stump up 2 of the BRITONS pounds if you want one

and that is 1.11 to 31.10, not the new season they are introducing next year which ends in September, otherwise people might skip the MSH thinking they can catch up later

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #102 on: 23 December, 2010, 10:34:26 am »
people might skip the MSH
They would be very silly to do that. It's a fine ride.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #103 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
people might skip the MSH
They would be very silly to do that. It's a fine ride.

it makes sense to keep it those dates as there are currently no GdS calendar events in Nov-Dec so the whole series can be ridden Jan-Oct

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #104 on: 23 December, 2010, 03:56:55 pm »

and that is 1.11 to 31.10, not the new season they are introducing next year which ends in September, otherwise people might skip the MSH thinking they can catch up later

Someone's jumping the gun here.  We just talked about it at the end of the last AGM.  It'll need to be thought through and a proposal submitted to the next AGM, which must be approved by the meeting before anything can be changed.  Of course that means that no change can be made until the end of the 2012 season at the earliest.

Regards,

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Martin

« Reply #105 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:05:54 pm »

Someone's jumping the gun here.  We just talked about it at the end of the last AGM.  It'll need to be thought through and a proposal submitted to the next AGM, which must be approved by the meeting before anything can be changed.  Of course that means that no change can be made until the end of the 2012 season at the earliest.

<sales pitch>
agreed; but as it's a Local Award for Local Riders no need for it to stick to an rigid National calendar; it would not make much sense to kick off a GdS with the MSH and then take a 2 month break..</sales pitch>

« Reply #106 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:35:15 pm »

5 in any AUK year, including any perms / AAA DIY's / the IOW Randonee. You Sir have already bagged it last year just need to stump up 2 of the BRITONS pounds if you want one

Yes indeed, Sold! Pls bring one with you when you do Hills & Mills Sir..

« Reply #107 on: 27 December, 2010, 01:37:33 am »
I Say Zoom, what have you been doing with the Curry now, how hot did you make it :'( !

Billy Weir

« Reply #108 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:24:43 pm »
AAA Milne (108km, 1.75AAA, Edenbridge-Forest Row-Mayfield-Langton Green-Uckfield-Edenbridge) is now available for rides taking place on or after 15 January 2011.  Part of the growing 'Round Weald Series.  Paper entries in the usual way (Form + fee + SAEs).

AAA Milne 100 - (AAA 1.75)

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #109 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:30:42 pm »
Cheque will be in the post tomorrow.

Martin

« Reply #110 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:31:37 pm »
Top Marks Billy  :thumbsup: (I rode the prototype) a perfect winter ride (like the Hills and Mills)

is it going to be a calendar a la Down to Downs?

« Reply #111 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:15:21 pm »
AAA Milne (108km, 1.75AAA, Edenbridge-Forest Row-Mayfield-Langton Green-Uckfield-Edenbridge) is now available for rides taking place on or after 15 January 2011.  Part of the growing 'Round Weald Series.  Paper entries in the usual way (Form + fee + SAEs).

Fantastic Sir, Can we join it at say, Mayfield or Uckfield, as it's only 10 miles from Hailsham..
 ;D

Billy Weir

« Reply #112 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:25:44 pm »
Like my other perms, you can start at any point on the route if you can get a timed proof of control.  Uckfield and Mayfield are definites (cash machines, cafes etc).

Martin

« Reply #113 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:11:42 am »
dates for 2011 qualifiers so far;

Hills and Mills 15 Jan
South Downs National Park 100 30 Jan
Mad Jacks (John Seviour Memorial) 19 Feb
Invicta Grimpeur 13 March
Down to Downs  25 Apr
Tour of the Hills 21 Aug
Hengists Hills 25 Sep
Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier 15 Oct

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #114 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:55:46 am »
Hills and Mills 15 Jan - entered
South Downs National Park 100 30 Jan - entered
Mad Jacks (John Seviour Memorial) 19 Feb - can't do as am in the Isle of Wight
Invicta Grimpeur 13 March - maybe
Down to Downs  25 Apr - maybe
Tour of the Hills 21 Aug - hope to be in France
Hengists Hills 25 Sep - hope to be in France
Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier 15 Oct - will do the Hillier

Plan to do the AAA Milne perm plus the Down to Downs as a perm.

Does that make the required five events to wear and the coveted badge? - or do the Down to Downs (one as a perm, the other as a calendar event) count only as one event?

Martin

« Reply #115 on: 10 January, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
Does that make the required five events to wear and the coveted badge? - or do the Down to Downs (one as a perm, the other as a calendar event) count only as one event?

no; you can do perms and GPS DIY perms as many times as you like; and even have a GdS made entirely of perms. The award was intended to promote local Grimpeur calendar events; if it becomes apparent that too many perms are eating into calendar events (at least one of which was devised specifically for the award) this rule might have to be reviewed. But I hope that's unlikely :)

Martin

« Reply #116 on: 16 January, 2011, 11:09:42 pm »
Now we've got our first (or second  ;)) GdS under our belts who's up for the South Park 100? I decided it was much too hard but decided in a fit of something to print out an entry form and courier it over to El S personally yesterday;

Butts Brow bis High n Over Firle Beacon and Bopeep; we must be mad..

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #117 on: 17 January, 2011, 11:21:31 am »
who's up for the South Park 100?
Me. I hope to get to the controls with more than a minute to spare. Unlike on Saturday. :o Also hope not to be blown - bike and all :'( - into the verge by a strong gust of wind. also unlike Saturday. ::-)
El's oven was a great hit - piping hot tea by the gallon, hot mini-sausages and sausage rolls. Mmmmm. :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #118 on: 17 January, 2011, 03:23:46 pm »
Dave was telling me about it on Sat; it adds Bopeep and also the climb out of Wannock; I presume it's lost one of the 3 or is it 4? ascents of High n Over

Reminder; I hope to have a free embroidered patch for all GdSx5 (ie 5 years worth)this year

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #119 on: 17 January, 2011, 04:44:03 pm »
How about some sort of communal get-together at a local hostelry following the final GdS event of the year?
It would mark the end of a season of great effort and reward..............
You could, sort of, er, present badges, make a speech, drink beer.
Mind you some of the early finishers might have to wait awhile for the lanterne rouge to arrive.............
Maybe a pub near Chailey?
Or perhaps keep the village hall for an hour or two longer and have some sort of do? Maybe get in a barrel of Harveys? I could suggest an outside caterer who might be prepared to help...........
Just an idea to add to the burdens of your life, Mr Zoom. Others would help with the organising........

Billy Weir

« Reply #120 on: 17 January, 2011, 05:16:50 pm »
who's up for the South Park 100

Not I, for I have other (flatter) fish to fry.  Enjoy the climbs (and descents) on this route, which strike me as requiring levels of chutzpah well beyond mine at this time of year.

Martin Brice wrote...
How about some sort of communal get-together at a local hostelry following the final GdS event of the year?

Isn't the GdS rather niche to attract anything more than a handful of riders?  I did idly wonder if a South East Reunion would be possible, to which organisers, riders etc could attend.  Given the AGM appears to be fixed in York, this might be a better way for local riders to reflect on the year and renew acquaintances?

Martin

« Reply #121 on: 17 January, 2011, 07:49:22 pm »
Maybe a pub near Chailey?
Or perhaps keep the village hall for an hour or two longer and have some sort of do? Maybe get in a barrel of Harveys? I could suggest an outside caterer who might be prepared to help

nice idea but I'm always completely shattered after organising the MSH and just want to get home and flomp over a can of Stella,

But Billy's SE Reunion idea (with Darts to / from?) is a very good one; Pam used to do one but nothing much down this way recently. The last time the AGM was in Guildford there was a big SE presence, many of whom did not go up to York.

Martin

« Reply #122 on: 24 January, 2011, 09:45:30 pm »
who's up for the South Park 100?
Me. I hope to get to the controls with more than a minute to spare. Unlike on Saturday. :o Also hope not to be blown - bike and all :'( - into the verge by a strong gust of wind. also unlike Saturday. ::-)
El's oven was a great hit - piping hot tea by the gallon, hot mini-sausages and sausage rolls. Mmmmm. :thumbsup:

Got the route sheet today; I think it's best to hide it in my back pocket and just follow everyone else  :'(

And I spent a few hours yesterday fitting new wheels tyres etc to the light bike which is probably not going out this weekend  :(

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #123 on: 25 January, 2011, 12:59:42 pm »
i have followed the route on the map - there are lots of climbs and some are repated - I suspect we will be cursing all the gratuitous violence in the route planning. I might arrive at the start early to get away promptly so I finish before the dropdead point.

« Reply #124 on: 26 January, 2011, 05:44:11 pm »
i have followed the route on the map - there are lots of climbs and some are repated - I suspect we will be cursing all the gratuitous violence in the route planning. I might arrive at the start early to get away promptly so I finish before the dropdead point.

Good idea to keep rolling and don't linger longer than you need to at controls.

El would say- time is miles!  :thumbsup:

A