Author Topic: Producing a merged calendar feed  (Read 1378 times)

Producing a merged calendar feed
« on: 26 June, 2023, 09:10:33 am »
Here's one where Googling has failed.

My personal Google calendar is quite complicated because I take maybe half a dozen or more feeds. To the events that I enter manually, I add different feeds for the Scout Troop's programme, and another for its camps and events; for church events including my rota turns on the projection system; for the cycling club's calendar; and so on. I also get a feed from my wife's calendar.

I want to share my diary with her, because I sometimes forget to mention things :-[ But that means giving her a big list of feeds to turn on or off, on the occasions when she wants to check my diary. The same is true for me at work, if I want to compare my personal diary with work to make sure I don't have conflicts.

So I'd like somewhere where I could take six feeds and send out one combined feed. Ideally, I could choose which feeds to include for different purposes (I don't want to feed my wife's calendar back to her as part of mine, or things will get confusing).

Has anyone come across anything like this?

Re: Producing a merged calendar feed
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2023, 12:55:50 pm »
What happens if you set your default visibility to Private, and set the stuff you want your wife to see to public?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2023, 01:33:15 pm »
Unless she takes all the feeds I do, she won't see most of my diary entries. And I want her to see all of them except the ones from her own calendar (which she obviously already knows about).

If she just wants to check my calendar quickly before confirming that we'll both do something, it's not very convenient to turn on the six or eight feeds that make up my full calendar, then turn them off again so that she can see only hers normally.

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2023, 01:48:00 pm »
Depends on what calendar app you are using.
Could try aCalendar+. It lets you set up profiles, so can have a different set of calendars selected for each one. Then it is fairly quick to switch between profiles.

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2023, 05:19:21 pm »
Could try aCalendar+. It lets you set up profiles, so can have a different set of calendars selected for each one. Then it is fairly quick to switch between profiles.
Interesting. But can it output a single feed that combines all those included in one profile?

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2023, 05:11:01 pm »
Interesting. But can it output a single feed that combines all those included in one profile?
No, doesn't output any feeds. It is just a calendar app.

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2023, 05:26:08 pm »
Yes, I suspect it might require a calendar platform rather than an app. So, unless Google or a competitor decide to offer it, I may be out of luck.

Looking at it again, I've realised that you could be suggesting that my wife use the app. Maybe, though I think she thinks I'm causing the problems, and I should do the work ;D

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2023, 05:44:39 pm »
Yes, I suspect it might require a calendar platform rather than an app. So, unless Google or a competitor decide to offer it, I may be out of luck.
Maybe could setup your own CalDAV server to get all of your feeds, and do fancy stuff with them. But is it worth the effort?

Looking at it again, I've realised that you could be suggesting that my wife use the app. Maybe, though I think she thinks I'm causing the problems, and I should do the work ;D
Yes, I think it is nicer app than Google Calendar anyway. Can customise it to work how you want, and less silly pictures etc.

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2023, 09:25:42 pm »
Interesting. Does some of what I wanted, I think.