Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 61968 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #325 on: 02 October, 2021, 07:12:59 pm »
Some totally FREE! heat to keep the damp off, courtesy of the cherry prunings from last year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #326 on: 02 October, 2021, 08:29:01 pm »
I've been in the loft and checked the header tank. It's the first time I've been up there for a while and it's significantly easier since I've lost weight. There was no water in the tank so I bunged 3 or 4 litres in and turned the heating on.

Isn't there supposed to be a ball valve for that sort of thing?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #327 on: 02 October, 2021, 10:13:03 pm »
I've been in the loft and checked the header tank. It's the first time I've been up there for a while and it's significantly easier since I've lost weight. There was no water in the tank so I bunged 3 or 4 litres in and turned the heating on.

Isn't there supposed to be a ball valve for that sort of thing?

Quite possibly. But, given that apart from the cold tap in the kitchen, all of our water is softened, it's just as well there isn't. I have been told by a plumbery-type heating engineer that softened water had a tendency to dissolve heat exchangers.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #328 on: 02 October, 2021, 11:14:36 pm »
Whereas hard water just scales them up...

« Reply #329 on: 02 October, 2021, 11:37:31 pm »
Hard or soft water doesn't really matter in a sealed system as it never changes and the inhibitor sorts out most variables in the water.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #330 on: 03 October, 2021, 08:47:18 am »
Is it just me or is everyone here just living in poorly insulated buildings? Today and yesterday the outside temperature was 12/13 degrees at most and my living room is still at a comfortable 20 degrees. My house usually retains the summer warmth well into October, early November the heating is triggered. (It does help that 17 degrees is room temperature for me.)

What is this "summer warmth"? ???

My flat is fairly cool all year round, but is definitely lacking in insulation (and also has old sash windows, which probably don't help).

Are you living on the Shetlands? I'm talking about those days in July and August when the thermometer occasionally hits 25 degrees.
Even as far south as the Isle of May, 20c is a heatwave.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #331 on: 16 October, 2021, 02:54:44 pm »
I'm coaxing the log burner through its first fire of the season.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #332 on: 16 October, 2021, 11:05:23 pm »
WE are trying to avoid using the gas central heating. We have an oil filled radiator which has kept warm the two rooms we spend most of our time in. I don't  think that will be sufficient in the depths of winter though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #333 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:32:29 pm »
I switched the heating from off, to 18C for a few hours earlier. I'm not sure it's actually kicked in yet, but it's there for when it's needed.

rogerzilla

« Reply #334 on: 18 October, 2021, 09:06:08 am »
They can be buggers to light when the grate is empty, as the heat is sucked away through the base of the fire.  Much easier with half an inch of ashes.

« Reply #335 on: 09 November, 2021, 04:35:32 pm »
They can be buggers to light when the grate is empty, as the heat is sucked away through the base of the fire.  Much easier with half an inch of ashes.

Quite, plus the danger of a cold air plug in the chimney which results in smoke leaking from the door seams and vents instead of going up the chimney. Burning a sheet of newspaper first before lighting the kindling usually sorts this. Plus ours has a back boiler which feeds the heat store but its a pumped up and over system rather than a gravity loop so we also have the fun of bringing it up to temperature whilst listening to make sure the pump kicks in after a summer of slumber and that it doesn't start boiling the water in the pipes instead.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #336 on: 24 November, 2021, 10:49:19 am »
Still not cracked yet... But it is double jumper time now. Partly resisting in order to gauge how effective our new double glazing is.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #337 on: 24 November, 2021, 10:55:53 am »
Still not cracked yet... But it is double jumper time now. Partly resisting in order to gauge how effective our new double glazing is.
Respect!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #338 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:11:06 am »
With the weatherman* – who knows which way the wind blows – predicting a daytime high of 3 C tomorrow it may soon be time to turn all namby-pamby.

* actually it was TV's Sarah Keith-Lucas but she wasn’t born when His Bobness wrote Subterranean Homesick Blues
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #339 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:12:53 am »

Temp inside my flat has dropped by about 1°C. Am feeling it despite being in theory "thermostatic" radiator valves, they seem to be unable to keep the room at a set temp, but rather a set ratio between in and out. Might have to fight through the triffids to fettle the valve.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #340 on: 26 November, 2021, 03:26:16 pm »
I find wearing a scarf in the house helps to keep me warm.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #341 on: 26 November, 2021, 03:35:17 pm »
Yep, I'm into scarves indoors. Have been for a few weeks cos wheelchairing it is much colder than being mobile.

« Reply #342 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:04:41 pm »
My underfloor heating is broken.

Aka my downstairs neighbour is on holiday for a month.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #343 on: 26 November, 2021, 04:07:12 pm »
My underfloor heating is broken.

Aka my downstairs neighbour is on holiday for a month.

For years we have had a warm bit in our house that we attributed to our downstairs neighbour having their heating on quite a lot, eventually we worked out it is where their hot water tank is.  We do definitely get heat from downstairs when they have theirs on as well!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #344 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:38:46 pm »
Succumbed this evening and now head-hight in the Great Hall is luvverly'n'toasty.  Unfortunately, I don’t habitually keep my feet at that altitude.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #345 on: 26 November, 2021, 11:45:00 pm »
You lasted one more day than we did!

rogerzilla

« Reply #346 on: 27 November, 2021, 08:24:50 am »
20211127_082311 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Feline hearthrug as usual.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #347 on: 27 November, 2021, 08:58:46 am »
I do like my Shell Energy app. It tells me that on days when I have a bath, I pay an extra £1.50 for my gas. But using my electric fan oven on baking days doesn’t cost very much at all.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #348 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:13:42 pm »
Our heating has been on all day (well 7am-9:30pm) for several weeks. A matter of a not very mobile 77 year old and a house that leaks like a sieve. Todays wind being from the North means it hits the (solid 9” brick) gable. The heating took until 1pm to make it to the set point of 18C.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #349 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:38:50 pm »
The igloo shaped cat bed that we bought for the previous kittehs that was ignored and has only seen occasional interest from Ninkasi until now has suddenly become the place to be.

@rafletcher sounds like you could do with a girt big wood burning stove.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.