Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 341556 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #2075 on: 20 October, 2021, 12:03:14 am »
Rafe Spall mumbled his incomprehensible way through the entirety of the TV adaptation of He Kills Coppers so it ent just a USAnian high crime/misdemeanour.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2076 on: 20 October, 2021, 08:22:41 am »
Might just be our age

« Reply #2077 on: 23 October, 2021, 08:46:32 am »
Now up to episode 6 and I'm really enjoying it. So much going on. Wondering if and when Cedric Daniels will eventually smile.

« Reply #2078 on: 23 October, 2021, 10:27:36 am »
Good documentary on Frank Zappa on BBC4 last night.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2079 on: 30 October, 2021, 09:44:06 am »
I'm on episode 8 of The Wire. It's very, very good. Such a range of characters and themes. The two blandest characters are Avon Barksdale and Stringer. Not sure whether this is deliberate, but they seem like the only two without a personality.

« Reply #2080 on: 30 October, 2021, 12:07:52 pm »
Not how I remember it, at least with Stringer. Or maybe his character developed after S1. Neither ever came close to Omar though.

Are you aware of the structure of the whole, how each of series 2-5 shifts focus onto a different Baltimore, for want of a better word, institution - with the thread of police/drugs obviously continuing throughout?

« Reply #2081 on: 30 October, 2021, 12:22:14 pm »
I'm only on S1 so it's still just police and drugs gangs.

Yeah, Omar is great, scary predatory psychopath but also a loving, emotional realist, and a product of his environment.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2082 on: 31 October, 2021, 02:38:43 am »
Not how I remember it, at least with Stringer. Or maybe his character developed after S1. Neither ever came close to Omar though.

I think Stringer really comes into his own in series 3. He’s an extremely cold fish in the first series.

Omar is just one of the best characters in any tv series ever.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #2083 on: 31 October, 2021, 02:43:45 am »
Seeing the comments here & in The Guardian I gave the 1st ep of Guilt a try.
That's right up my street. Wonder how it'll keep up for 4 episodes though..

It’s great.

We’ve just started watching the second series. I wasn’t sure what scope there was for continuing it after the way the first series ended but it’s very good indeed.

One thing I don’t remember from the first series is how great the music is - Fat White Family and Working Men’s Club in one episode. That’s fucking cool.

Only disappointment in the second series so far is no Bill Paterson. But the replacement is pretty good. And Mark Bonnar is still reliably excellent.

citoyen

« Reply #2084 on: 01 November, 2021, 09:52:21 pm »
Latest episode of Succession was breathtakingly good. It’s like a Shakespearean tragedy.

Some cracking lines too…

“The DOJ is coming in like a combine harvester in a wheat field of dicks.”

Hard to believe Matthew Macfadyen is the same guy who was in Spooks.

« Reply #2085 on: 01 November, 2021, 10:20:02 pm »
After the first two episodes in this series I thought it was losing its way a little - a bit aimless. Not any more.

citoyen

« Reply #2086 on: 02 November, 2021, 02:00:56 pm »
After the first two episodes in this series I thought it was losing its way a little - a bit aimless. Not any more.

I think the first two episodes were just warming us up. Not sure I could have coped if they'd gone in that hard from the start.

« Reply #2087 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:03:53 pm »
Finding Jack Charlton

BBC 2
Nov 7th Sunday 9pm

Wonderful piece of film making
Garry Broad

« Reply #2088 on: 14 November, 2021, 12:13:20 pm »
Arcane.

If you at all like anime steampunk, give this a go. Go. Only watched three episodes but it's rather savage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2089 on: 19 November, 2021, 11:59:14 pm »
Fans of amiable nutter and bicyclist TV's Guy Martin might wish to know he has a new multi-part series starting at hours 21:00 on Monday Nov the twenty-twoth on 4, in which he and a couple of bonkers mates convert various unsuitable vehicles into racing ones.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2090 on: 20 November, 2021, 12:23:17 am »
And an hour later, on the same channel, another amiable bicyclist, David O'Doherty will lead rides with 4 different celeb friends - Grayson Perry, Richard Ayoade, Mel Giedroyc and Joe Wilkinson. That's 4 hour-long shows with a different celeb on each one.

https://tellymix.co.uk/tv/598082-david-odoherty-and-celebrity-guests-to-cycle-across-the-uk-in-new-channel-4-series.html

The Ride (w/t) is a comedy interview show on two wheels that delivers lots of laughter, proper conversation and stunning scenery while meditating on the physical and mental health benefits of cycling. The series sees David and his guests ride along spectacular routes in Wales, Northumberland, Dungeness in Kent and along the Suffolk coast. 

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2091 on: 20 November, 2021, 05:58:21 pm »
Sounds good!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2092 on: 20 November, 2021, 07:53:33 pm »
I’ve got The Lakes with Simon Reeve on. I came for the landscape. I’ve got one of the most personal, thoughtful bits of tv about hardship I’ve seen for a while.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2093 on: 20 November, 2021, 08:26:32 pm »
I’ve got The Lakes with Simon Reeve on. I came for the landscape. I’ve got one of the most personal, thoughtful bits of tv about hardship I’ve seen for a while.

I think Reeves is an underrated TV gem. I discovered him doing films about 3rd world countries (and 3rd world bits of US cities). Always brilliant.

Cumbria is a precious place to my family, so I wasn't sure what to expect ... but Simon came up trumps. A great mixture of landscapes, human stories, and analysis on the future of farming in a National Park. Fantastic telly.

(and red squirrels.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2094 on: 20 November, 2021, 08:42:12 pm »
And an hour later, on the same channel, another amiable bicyclist, David O'Doherty will lead rides with 4 different celeb friends - Grayson Perry, Richard Ayoade, Mel Giedroyc and Joe Wilkinson. That's 4 hour-long shows with a different celeb on each one.

https://tellymix.co.uk/tv/598082-david-odoherty-and-celebrity-guests-to-cycle-across-the-uk-in-new-channel-4-series.html

The Ride (w/t) is a comedy interview show on two wheels that delivers lots of laughter, proper conversation and stunning scenery while meditating on the physical and mental health benefits of cycling. The series sees David and his guests ride along spectacular routes in Wales, Northumberland, Dungeness in Kent and along the Suffolk coast. 

Monday 10pm C4

« Reply #2095 on: 20 November, 2021, 08:47:48 pm »

I think Stringer really comes into his own in series 3. He’s an extremely cold fish in the first series.

Omar is just one of the best characters in any tv series ever.

Bubz bubbles is a great character too.   He’s one of the constants through all the series and incredibly touching at times

« Reply #2096 on: 20 November, 2021, 09:48:43 pm »

It was an excellent episode. Just watched it for the second time. Ep 2 is on tomorrow night I believe.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2097 on: 20 November, 2021, 10:01:22 pm »
Finished watching s2 of Guilt. Not as good or the same feel as s1, but alright.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2098 on: 20 November, 2021, 10:04:37 pm »

It was an excellent episode. Just watched it for the second time. Ep 2 is on tomorrow night I believe.
Ah thanks! It hadn’t occurred to me that it wouldn’t be weekly.

« Reply #2099 on: 21 November, 2021, 12:15:03 pm »
I think it is weekly, and last night was a repeat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0011p16/broadcasts/upcoming