Author Topic: Brompton tyres  (Read 22083 times)

Brompton tyres
« on: 24 May, 2012, 03:49:26 pm »
Hello everyone. Which is the fast tyre for brompton?

Is Schwalbe the only one manufacturer for Brompton?

Thanks
Italian commuter in London with my
new (second hand) red M6l Brompton

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Brompton tyres
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »
The fastest tyre is a Primo Comet, difficult to find in this country. Brompton's own tyre/s aren't bad (the discontinued Yellow is noticeably faster than the Green). Schwalbe's Kojak isn't faster than the Green and the Marathon is like running in gumboots. The Marathon Plus, don't even go there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:23:28 pm »
The Kojak feels slower to me than the discontinued Stelvio.  I'd go for Brompton's green label tyre, although the Marathon Plus, despite its weight, has undeniable benefits when changing a rear tube is such a faff. and it rolls pretty well.  I've ridden 80 miles on them a few times.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2012, 08:53:15 pm »
So, the brompton's own tyre are not so bad. Are the primo comet good on wet street?

Thanks

« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2012, 02:20:07 pm »
Which is the difference between:

Schwalbe Kojak HS385 http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-kojak-hs385-rigid-tyre-16-inch-(349)-prod25082/

and

Brompton Kojak Folding Road Tyre http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-kojak-folding-road-tyre-16-x-1-1-4-inch-(32-349)-qtyrkojak-prod23183/

???

The "Brompton" Kojak are lighter and with the reflective strip, but also the "conventional" Kojak are reflective (reflective label).

@LittleWheelsandBig  is the Primo Comet size for Brompton 16x1 3 8?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »
The Marathon Plus, don't even go there.

As I may have mentioned before, I rode the 2010 BWC on a Brommie shod in M+ and finished a respectable 96th (IIRC). Imagine what I'd have achieved if I'd been using "fast" tyres!

Anyway, my experience of the Stelvios is that they're not significantly faster than M+, so if Kojaks are slower than Stelvios, I really wouldn't bother. Although having said that, it could just be that I'm a faster rider generally than I was when I had the Stelvios, so maybe don't use my experience as a reliable yardstick.

These Primo Comets sound interesting...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2012, 03:44:39 pm »

Schwalbe Kojak HS385 http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-kojak-hs385-rigid-tyre-16-inch-(349)-prod25082/

and

Brompton Kojak Folding Road Tyre http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-kojak-folding-road-tyre-16-x-1-1-4-inch-(32-349)-qtyrkojak-prod23183/

???

The "Brompton" Kojak are lighter and with the reflective strip, but also the "conventional" Kojak are reflective (reflective label).

The lighter version is lighter because it has kevlar folding beads instead of rigid steel.  The casing and rubber is the same, so the ride is the same.

Kojaks are not racing tyres, but I don't reckon they're terribly slow either.   They don't puncture easily.  (In fact I've never punctured mine).  Note that they're narrower and shallower than many/most other tyres to fit the Brompton, so they effectively lower the gear a bit.  That's one reason why I chose them.  Low weght is good as well, particularly on a bike that you lift and carry frequently.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
I have just changed over to Marathon Plus on the Brompton from Green Label. I was honestly quite shocked how flimsy the Green Label tyres felt. On the road I dont notice any difference.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »
I bought a pair of Marathon Plus at the time of ordering my Brommy.  They went straight in the cupboard under the stairs and remain unusued.  I thought I might want them if ever I got a commute so important that it was vital to maximise puncture resistance.  Hmmm.  That time may never come, and I wouldn't like the extra weight to carry anyway.  Maybe I'll sell them.  Keep an eye on For Sale.

« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2012, 04:41:26 pm »
Yes please, if you decide to sell.

citoyen

Brompton tyres
« Reply #10 on: 27 May, 2012, 06:18:25 pm »
I bought a pair of Marathon Plus at the time of ordering my Brommy.  They went straight in the cupboard under the stairs and remain unusued.

So have you ever actually ridden or carried a Brommie fitted with M+ tyres?

d.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 27 May, 2012, 06:35:14 pm »
Yes, Brompton tyres are 349.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2012, 07:10:35 pm »
So have you ever actually ridden or carried a Brommie fitted with M+ tyres?

No.  I know what they weigh and I ride another bike with M+ tyres.

First dibs for the tyres goes to Domestique.  I'll think about it for a day or two more though.

citoyen

Brompton tyres
« Reply #13 on: 27 May, 2012, 08:01:24 pm »
No.  I know what they weigh and I ride another bike with M+ tyres.

Are they the same size as Brompton tyres?

Do you carry that other bike around much?

I'm not having a dig, just trying to ascertain the basis for your comments - its just that my extensive experience of riding a Brommie with M+ tyres is that the weight is not an issue.

Mind you, I use M+ because reliability is the primary consideration for me. If rolling speed were my top priority, I'd seek out the Primo Comets mentioned by LWaB.

d.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 27 May, 2012, 08:36:42 pm »
The extra weight of the M+ tyres isn't significant by itself.  My decision not to use them on the Brompton is just part of a larger program.  I don't need extra puncture resistance on this bike, therefore I do without with the extra weight, rolling resistance and size of M+.

Kojaks save weight and lowers the gear without being too impractical, whereas pure racing tyres might not be durable and puncture resistant as I want.  So they're a compromise.  I will be interested to know more about Primo Comets though.  Perhaps they could be good for a bit of summer fun?  I'd definitely give them a go if I was entering the BWC (which I'm bottling out of).

« Reply #15 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »

and

???

The lighter version is lighter because it has kevlar folding beads instead of rigid steel.  The casing and rubber is the same, so the ride is the same.

Kojaks are not racing tyres, but I don't reckon they're terribly slow either.   They don't puncture easily.  (In fact I've never punctured mine).  Note that they're narrower and shallower than many/most other tyres to fit the Brompton, so they effectively lower the gear a bit.  That's one reason why I chose them.  Low weght is good as well, particularly on a bike that you lift and carry frequently.

I ride mainly in the 5th gear (not to many hill except between Finsbury park and Camden, in London) so I think I'll try the Kojak, folding option (not the "Brompton" Kojak, just to save a little bit of money).

Thanks

« Reply #16 on: 30 May, 2012, 12:21:44 am »
The fastest tyre is a Primo Comet, difficult to find in this country. Brompton's own tyre/s aren't bad (the discontinued Yellow is noticeably faster than the Green). Schwalbe's Kojak isn't faster than the Green and the Marathon is like running in gumboots. The Marathon Plus, don't even go there.

Is the Primo Comet this one?? http://www.amazon.com/Primo-Comet-Bicycle-37-349-Black/dp/B000AO5L5A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is it good on the wet?

Not able to find the website of this tyre

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 30 May, 2012, 06:10:33 am »
Harder rubber rolls faster but doesn't stick in the wet. The Primo, like most of the tyres for a Brompton, uses fairly hard rubber.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 30 May, 2012, 06:37:57 am »
I have the terribly expensive Kojak folding tyres, and they are not significantly faster than M+.  Lighter, yes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 30 May, 2012, 09:59:28 pm »
Recent Bromptons will take Greenspeed Scorchers (older Bromptons don't have the clearance) with just a few millimetres to spare. I've not used them but they are reckoned to be a shade quicker than the Comet.

« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2012, 04:21:15 pm »
I have the terribly expensive Kojak folding tyres, and they are not significantly faster than M+.  Lighter, yes.

What he says. Lighter means better acceleration though, so if you're sprinting traffic lights they might be worth it.
The Kojaks weigh about the same as the Stelvio Light. But the Stelvio is 28mm where the Kojak is 32mm, and accepts an ever higher pressure which will rattle your bones even more, unless you have a very smooth road surface. For comfort reasons (!) I prefer the 35mm M+.
If I was to carry the bike daily in and out of a train I'd use the Kojaks, since the weight difference is noticeable on carrying it.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #21 on: 06 June, 2012, 12:37:42 pm »

What he says. Lighter means better acceleration though, so if you're sprinting traffic lights they might be worth it.
The Kojaks weigh about the same as the Stelvio Light. But the Stelvio is 28mm where the Kojak is 32mm, and accepts an ever higher pressure which will rattle your bones even more, unless you have a very smooth road surface. For comfort reasons (!) I prefer the 35mm M+.
If I was to carry the bike daily in and out of a train I'd use the Kojaks, since the weight difference is noticeable on carrying it.

I carry daily my bike in and out of the office and home (first floor flat), but for the moment I never used it in train/tube/bus. And I do 8 miles in the morning and 8 in the night. At this point of the post I really don't know if to spend money to change the green labeled Brompton tyres with something else. The pair that I have is still good, and it seems that all the alternatives (.. not so many) are not much better then the basic one

« Reply #22 on: 05 July, 2012, 02:58:23 pm »
Ok, I bought the Kojak tyres 2 weeks ago. Done with them 250 km. (london main roads, I am 78 kgs, condition of the road 70% of the time wet). And they are already full of cuts. Is this normal?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #23 on: 05 July, 2012, 03:16:59 pm »
I don't have that many cuts in mine after much more mileage (including on wet roads).  I make an effort to avoid places where broken glass collects, including the gutters.

I don't worry about cuts that haven't gone all the way through the casing anyway.

« Reply #24 on: 13 July, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »
The KojaK are not for me. Running now on Marathon Plus. If interested I have a pair of new Kojak to sell, never used or installed! Plus the one reported in the picture