Author Topic: Bike fit  (Read 6422 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Re: Bike fit
« Reply #25 on: 04 November, 2015, 10:20:49 am »
The one most recommended is the bike whisperer and also Mr Hewitt of Hewitt cycles. Neither use any fancy equipment.

From reading around this, it appears there are lots of different philosophies, so freeflow's bikefit worked for him. I tried something similar (moving saddle back and lower) but it really did not work for me. What worked for me, perversely was sitting more forward than I expected.

I am still tinkering, but my position works up to a 200km ride, which was wholly unexpected. I am also a pernickety chap, so really minor differences in seat angle, height really bother me, whereas others would just get on and ride.

« Reply #26 on: 04 November, 2015, 10:38:05 am »
The first and only time that I have been measured for a bike fit was by Roberts Cycles when I had my Roughstuff tourer built in 2004.   When I got on the best I knew immediately that it was the best, most comfortable fit for a bike that I'd ever had.   The saddle had been wrongly set low as was established after the test around the block and a quick check with a tape measure back at Roberts.

Since then I have worked to reflect these measurements onto all of my machines and I have to say that my back ache which was once a permanent fixture and I was a martyr to has long since disappeared.     

I'd been riding the Roberts for a few weeks culminating in Kim's Tunnels Ride on Saturday.   On Sunday I hopped on the clean and lubricated Thorn for a Sunday jaunt.   Immediately I noticed that the saddle was a bit low.   A quick check with the tape measure confirmed this - half a centimetre!

All sorted now.   :thumbsup:

Samuel D

« Reply #27 on: 04 November, 2015, 11:26:31 am »
Affordable new bikes and off the shelf frames (Audax/cyclocross/touring) with seat tubes <72 degrees seem to be non existent.

They’re certainly rare. If you’d be happy with 72 degrees on the dot, Spa Cycles has its Tourer model. The Audax model is 72.5 degrees. (There are links to the full geometry on those pages.)

« Reply #28 on: 04 November, 2015, 10:52:49 pm »
Depends where you are but Adrian Timmis at Cadence sport in the midlands is very good in my opinion.  I have a 0.5 inch leg discrepancy which I do not tell physics, bike fitters, etc about.  I let them work it out.  If they notice it that is good, full marks is working out which leg is shorter.  Adrian had it within seconds.  He adjusted the cleats with a custom shim and also provides total contact ergonomic footbeds.

« Reply #29 on: 16 October, 2021, 03:07:58 pm »
Thread resurrection alert. Makes sense, I think, to tag on to an existing thread.

Mini-hatler had a bike fit done for him at C&N Cycles in Redhill back in August in preparation for his 200 miles in a day Big Ride® at the end of September.

He was well impressed at the attention to detail and insights he gained from the session.

He reckons it made things much better for him; both speed and comfort on the bike improved. It might be just perception, but if he perceives things to be better, then they are.  Anyhow, it certainly resulted in a mindset that the 200 miles was more doable, and he did it.

A big fat recommendation for the team at C&N.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #30 on: 16 October, 2021, 05:06:41 pm »
I recently had a bike fit done at Bicycle Richmond. It took a little over 3 hours and covered everything from arch support and cleat location through crank length experimentation, saddle experimentation (both the position and the model), and then front end stuff. Saddle position movement (down and forwards) basically cured the hip issues I'd been having on my bike and stopped me riding for approaching a year, the new saddle is more comfortable to sit on, and the reach adjustment (stem and bar change) means I ride on the hoods and not just back of them. We decided not to change the cranks - 172.5 is OK for me (6ft), and my hip RoM is fine, I was just hyperextending the right leg. I was kinda expecting to go down a fair chunk, but we tried it on the jig and found no benefit.

If you are having issues, especially if they relate to your feet, and you can afford the £300, I would highly recommend them.

« Reply #31 on: 17 October, 2021, 12:37:09 am »
I recently had a bike fit done ... the new saddle [what is it?] is more comfortable to sit on...

I have had two not so satisfactory bike-fits in the last 6 years and with a collection of saddles bigger than many bike shops I still yearn for a comfortable and efficient position on the bike that would allow me to do the longer distances, always interested in what saddles people find comfortable although have resolved to stop buying them as the problem is likely me and not the saddle. Earlier this year I got a "smart" trainer that has a power meter built in and am doing more scientific trials with saddle / position combinations etc but looks like a 3rd bike-fit is in order for me.

« Reply #32 on: 17 October, 2021, 11:07:50 am »
Edit
It's a Prologo Ergon Man Pro, I'm not sure what model exactly.
I was on a Selle Italia SLR, which was OK, but felt quite hard on the sitbones. The strange thing is that it actually has a reasonable amount of padding, but it seems that the way that the wings curve downwards meant I wasn't getting much support. The Ergon is a lot flatter on the wings (still with the cutout), and that seems to make all the difference. I've not ridden it for more than a couple of hours yet, so have yet to discover if it's properly comfy for many hours, but it's a lot better even in 10 minutes.