Author Topic: Late season Super Randonneur 2020  (Read 13816 times)

Late season Super Randonneur 2020
« on: 29 September, 2020, 09:37:42 pm »
Just a marker for posts pertaining to those still in the process of going for a late season SR in 2020.

Personally I have a 400 and 600 to ride in October. Last weekend I completed my 300. The 400 is a week on Saturday and a DIY from home.

Re: Late season Super Randonneur 2020
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2020, 09:19:49 am »
400, 200 and 300 done in September. 

400 was the Chilterns Cycleway, 200 a very tough lap of the Lake District and 300 an easy ride down to and along the Kent/Sussex coast from New Romney to Pevensey.

600 was going to be Mr Pickwick in search of Dragons but I'm not sure I fancy it with shortening days, so will probably go for something faster, starting from London.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2020, 09:58:37 am »
I've just got a 600 to do. Probably the end of next week.
Will either be MK to Exeter and back or a very flat one via Lincoln, Goole and the fens on the way back.
Depends on the weather forecast.

« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2020, 10:32:53 am »
My 600 is a north south affair but given last weekends winds I’m going to plot a west / east backup 600 out to the Severn bridge and back.  I’ll decide in the few days before based on what wind direction and speed looks like.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2020, 10:43:02 am »
Trying to work out the easiest 600 for me given I've got concerns about re-injuring my leg.

400 was a 140 to the caravan via the sma glen, lap of rannoch (80) from there and then home (100) for a blat round north fife (80). 22hrs and a bit.

the biggest problem for a 600 is there's only really 2 routes between home and caravan that don't involve sustained climbs and as good as the sma glen was, 140 leaves me a bit short or well past the sort of stop over distance I want.

Have been trying to work out how to use Strathmore and the flattest crossing into the highlands (back road into dunkeld from meikleour) to my advantage.

rob

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2020, 11:28:21 am »
I've got a 400 to do this Saturday, having bailed on doing it last weekend.   The weather currently looks a bit changeable.

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2020, 12:16:06 pm »
I just completed my SR with a 600 on the 19th. It seems a reasonably good achievement given the state of the season. That was my first solo 600 as  DIY and a good confidence builder for doing a 1000km DIY in the spring.

With the extension of the season to the end of October I'll look to do a couple 200s next month and maybe a 300km bash of Snow Roads

Hopefully next season will allow some longer events to aim for, WaWA LEL 

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2020, 12:55:10 pm »
Just finished my late-season SR, all done in late Aug / Sept.

200k DIY of Deeside Loop;
300k Snow Roads Perm;
400k DIY ABZ-EDI-ABZ;
600k DIY based on Old Military Roads 400 + 200k loop down past Montrose.

Mostly done on Thursdays ( take a day off work so as not to use the weekend ).
A week between them, except 2 weeks between the 400 and 600.

Wanted to get the 600 done before the weather turned too Autumnal and the daylight became short.

« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2020, 01:16:35 pm »
I enjoy the company as much as the cycling on the longer distances, so with the restrictions in place, i'm not going to bother this year.
@CorbieLinnRider

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #9 on: 30 September, 2020, 01:19:11 pm »
600 completed at the weekend through the winds and sands of Norfolk

Just a 400 left, planned a route from Herts to Aberystyth mid-October. Planned route goes through the few Welsh counties still open but that may change by then. We'll see.

« Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2020, 01:43:11 pm »
Just a 600 left to do, which I'd have hoped to do last weekend but the kids brought a cold home from school so I'm now waiting for a weather window (in October ha!). This weekend has been abandoned already.

Plan A is an early start 400 back to home, sit out the coldest hours, then a daylight 200 on day 2. Routes have been planned but we'll see whether I can still ride through multiple counties in 10 days time. 600km in Dorset alone will be a different beast. :hand:

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2020, 02:10:15 pm »
Just the 400km left for friday, the weather looks favourable. There has been a lot of B7009 (day) and A701 (night) to keep them as traffic free as possible and familiar. Not a year to be too adventurous with new routes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2020, 02:57:37 pm »
I enjoy the company as much as the cycling on the longer distances, so with the restrictions in place, i'm not going to bother this year.

Your company was missed Russell on the 600 How close are you to your UR now?

« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2020, 04:57:25 pm »
Just did a 300 from MK via Whittlesey Wetherspoons (and there was headwind in the Fens, Tomsk) on Monday. Got a 600 DIY to Yorkshire to see my dad for a few hours to do sometime, plus a 400 DIY (via Skeggy to visit my dad again, then invite him down if I get a lift home). Wish I'd done these a few weeks ago when the weather was nicer! This has been a year of lonely DIYs.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2020, 05:15:59 pm »
up to now i thought i'll skip this year without riding audaxes, but now that the auk season has been extended i might just do an sr (do dyi by gps count towards it?). there are bound to be days in october without the wind and rain?..

« Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2020, 05:25:03 pm »
do diy by gps count towards it?

Certainly yes! Good luck.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 30 September, 2020, 05:46:31 pm »
... and there was headwind in the Fens, Tomsk ...

There's a special incantation to the Weather Gods, given to AUK Organisers. Ask Team Cambridge about headwinds - there'll be a few nightmares resulting from last weekend's Flatliner. Traumatised for life maybe? Shelter from hedges must cut the wind speed by what, 30-50%? In the Fens you may as well be on a mountain-top or out at sea.

« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2020, 06:02:10 pm »
... and there was headwind in the Fens, Tomsk ...

There's a special incantation to the Weather Gods, given to AUK Organisers. Ask Team Cambridge about headwinds - there'll be a few nightmares resulting from last weekend's Flatliner. Traumatised for life maybe? Shelter from hedges must cut the wind speed by what, 30-50%? In the Fens you may as well be on a mountain-top or out at sea.
I didn't enjoy riding S/SW to St. Ives and St. Neots much after my 'spoons brekky. I realised after getting home, had I started at midnight with sleep depravation, I coulda cycled to my dad's with a good tailwind, leaving there late in the evening with a tailwind (and 40 mph gusts) back south. But on Sunday night I wanted sleep.

« Reply #18 on: 30 September, 2020, 06:06:57 pm »

Just a 400 left, planned a route from Herts to Aberystyth mid-October. Planned route goes through the few Welsh counties still open but that may change by then. We'll see.

You might well need a backup depending how soon your 400 is. Maybe something that hits the Severn bridge then dances north along the English / Welsh border till time to turn back east.

« Reply #19 on: 30 September, 2020, 06:10:51 pm »

You might well need a backup depending how soon your 400 is. Maybe something that dances along the English / Welsh border
I took my daughter back to Cardiff Uni the other week, and had thought of doing a 400 DIY to visit her. Now she's in lockdown, but luckily she's got five housemates for company. I hope East Yorkshire doesn't put up the barricades before I get up there!

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #20 on: 01 October, 2020, 08:46:30 am »

You might well need a backup depending how soon your 400 is. Maybe something that hits the Severn bridge then dances north along the English / Welsh border till time to turn back east.

Yes, we'll see what is open. Aber is trip to visit daughter at Uni, so if not possible will probably pick a completely different option somewhere that is open.

« Reply #21 on: 01 October, 2020, 09:10:20 am »

Your company was missed Russell on the 600 How close are you to your UR now?

I've done 8 years i think.
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #22 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:41:13 pm »
My 400 now tweaked , a DIY from home next weekend. I’ve got three places marked for a last take away Chinese blowout before the 10pm curfew. If I’m only at the first by around 9:30pm , it’ll mean there is a grim night ahead.  I’ll submit it Wed / Thu once I know the weather forecast, which may influence further changes.

« Reply #23 on: 04 October, 2020, 04:06:56 pm »
I've only had one year when I've not ridden an SR since I joined AUK in 1992. Ironically, it was the year I did my biggest annual mileage.

So....

IIRC, I've only done a 300 that I got in just before lockdown.
So I'm going for an SR week from Saturday 17 Oct to Friday 23rd.

Start the 300 at midnight for a leisurely ride with 2 sit down meal stops. Aiming for about 3-4pm finish and an early night.
Hopefully get up early and get the 200 done before tea time, including at least 1 sit down meal, maybe a cafe stop or two.
Monday, hopefully another early start, maybe at silly o'clock so I can ride the 400 in 20 hours including a sit down meal every 100km or so.
Tuesday, hopefully asleep in bed at midnight but maybe crawling home in the early hours, then an easy day, probably going out for my weekly meal with my mum on the Morpheus tandem.
Wednesday, day off but will probably do an EMS* session.
Thurs-Friday, standard 6am start for the 600. Ride SW for 180km then return so I get back home for an sleep after 360km and probably start with a lighter headwind than the tailwind I get back home. Then the last 240km by riding with the wind and returning, so that the tailwind means I have and easy start and should gain time for a meal easily, still have time in hand and won't need to make time up to finish in the time limit.

Hopefully a nice week of Type 1 fun riding on one of the Raleighs with the tubeless wheels. As easy as I can make it.
Not sure how that will go. I haven't ridden over 100 miles in a day since the 300 in March. Only been doing Deliveroo and utility rides since then.

« Reply #24 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:35:51 pm »
I had a couple of 200s on August Bank Holiday weekend, then I did a 600 and a 400 back-to-back weekends in mid-september. It was Surprisingly easy despite not having done more than a few 100k rides after lockdown times. 

My 600 was a tweaked flatliner with start in London, and finish at Cambridge. This ride was actually quite enjoyable with a good nights sleep in Scunthorpe. The second one was a tad bit less enjoyable due to constant headwind out to Dunwich, then a sleepy return in the dark back to the smoke. Thankfully night temperature was still in the double digits.

Silly enough I didn't continue my good streak the following weekend, so still got the 300 to do. Being an obese fair-weather cyclist I will choose the route accordingly the coming weeks  ;D