Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 84319 times)

Re: Southend Football
« Reply #525 on: 15 November, 2022, 11:39:19 pm »
You are not alone, J.  I thought they were Solihull Motors, too!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #526 on: 15 November, 2022, 11:42:32 pm »
 ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #527 on: 16 November, 2022, 06:30:16 pm »
You are not alone, J.  I thought they were Solihull Motors, too!

Which is quite on-topic as Solihull Mo'ors would be how it is pronounced by Saarfendians. Interestingly enough, long before the phrase "Estuary English" entered the lexicon my old school chum Felix* and I used to refer to "Dagenese - the universal language of the used car industry".

*an odd cocktail of pet foods there
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #528 on: 16 November, 2022, 07:22:07 pm »
As in "E'o, mayh, go'a new mo'a?"  immortalized by Alexei Sayle.  Liked the pet food juxtaposition!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #529 on: 16 November, 2022, 08:21:22 pm »
Ah. Solihull Moors.
Many years ago when I lived in Bournville,  Moor Green was my nearest non league club. I would attend several times a season.  What I liked about them was that when I arrived, they would open the big gate so that I could take my bike in, let me out again so that I could re-enter via the turnstile.
So, our biggest local derby was Solihull.
Moor Green were struggling financially and when their stand burnt down it was the end.  They merged with bloody Solihull.
I vowed never to go there, and never did.

RIP Moor Green FC. 😮‍💨
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #530 on: 16 November, 2022, 11:21:39 pm »
Happy Days, Basil!  Rochdale FC jobsworths won't even let me take my bike into the almost always half-empty car park at all.  And so, I very rarely go.

« Reply #531 on: 17 November, 2022, 10:50:33 am »
Is there a rotund female warming up her vocal chords?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63659926

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #532 on: 19 November, 2022, 03:49:09 pm »
Hardly-poo Untied 3 nil down, and it's not even half time yet.
I suppose I should just give up and accept the inevitable.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #533 on: 19 November, 2022, 11:00:13 pm »
Southend managed to lose 3 - 1 to the lowly Gateshead today - their first loss for quite a lot of matches. I suppose their squad is depleted because they've got so many of them on World Cup duty.

« Reply #534 on: 20 November, 2022, 10:35:06 am »
Hardly-poo Untied 3 nil down, and it's not even half time yet.
I suppose I should just give up and accept the inevitable.

Of more interest is why Hartlepool were allowed to play with no physio on bench

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #535 on: 04 December, 2022, 06:25:23 pm »
Yesterday, on a train full of Gloucester Rugby fans, I saw a man wearing a Forest Green Rovers bobble hat.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #536 on: 09 December, 2022, 09:47:47 pm »
Never mind WC penalty shoot outs and stuff.  Hardly Poo Untied have won a match.  Away.  And are now out of the relegation zone. (Well, until everyone else plays tomorrow)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #537 on: 14 January, 2023, 11:26:51 pm »
Interesting match at Roots hall today. Darlington took the lead after 1 minute, Southend equalised 5 minutes later. The same player, one Harry Cardwell, scored Southend's winner in the 3rd minute (out of 9) of injury time. This was an FA Trophy match.

Had it not been for Southend's winner, I was speculating that this match was a bit like Bizet's opera "The Pearl Fishers*". You don't want to turn up five minutes late for that: the famous duet comes right at the start and the rest of the opera is a bit meh - or so I'm told. I've never listened to it.

*not to be confused with The Shrimpers.

« Reply #538 on: 15 January, 2023, 08:00:01 pm »
Interesting match at Roots hall today. Darlington took the lead after 1 minute, Southend equalised 5 minutes later. The same player, one Harry Cardwell, scored Southend's winner in the 3rd minute (out of 9) of injury time. This was an FA Trophy match.

Had it not been for Southend's winner, I was speculating that this match was a bit like Bizet's opera "The Pearl Fishers*". You don't want to turn up five minutes late for that: the famous duet comes right at the start and the rest of the opera is a bit meh - or so I'm told. I've never listened to it.

*not to be confused with The Shrimpers.

The result of the game is insignificant when one looks at the fact Darlington player Almond has ended up having an operation this morning at a London hospital to reduce pressure on his brain after suffering a bleed.

No one to blame for the incident, but the result is insignificant compared to this

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #539 on: 15 January, 2023, 08:09:47 pm »
Bloody hell. Wasn't aware of that.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #540 on: 21 January, 2023, 10:10:36 pm »
The future of Southend United Football Club hangs in the balance. A petition by His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to have the club wound up over unpaid tax liabilities has just been adjourned by the high court until March. The court had previously granted one stay of execution from November to January, but agreed another after being persuaded by lawyers for the fifth-tier club that it may yet clear its debts.
Wowbagger wearing a false clean-shaven face at a recent SUFC match:

https://theconversation.com/football-club-collapses-in-lower-leagues-how-to-avoid-them-for-the-good-of-the-community-198244

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #541 on: 21 January, 2023, 11:08:16 pm »
That reminded me to check Sarfend's result this afternoon, only to find that the game, away to Oldham, had been postponed. Not surprised, given the arctic wastes that prevail up there.

« Reply #542 on: 22 January, 2023, 05:54:27 pm »
https://theconversation.com/football-club-collapses-in-lower-leagues-how-to-avoid-them-for-the-good-of-the-community-198244

Re the article. There is a simple way to avoid clubs in lower leagues collapsing.

do not spend more money than you have coming in

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #543 on: 22 January, 2023, 06:31:36 pm »
It's not mentioned in the article but AIUI lower league clubs are most likely to go insolvent in two circumstances: either when they've been relegated and suffer a loss in both TV rights and gate receipts (there are parachute payments for clubs demoted from the Premier League, I'm not sure about clubs demoted within the Football League), or when chasing promotion, so spending big on players and ground improvements, but failing to get it.

« Reply #544 on: 22 January, 2023, 10:18:24 pm »
It's not mentioned in the article but AIUI lower league clubs are most likely to go insolvent in two circumstances: either when they've been relegated and suffer a loss in both TV rights and gate receipts (there are parachute payments for clubs demoted from the Premier League, I'm not sure about clubs demoted within the Football League), or when chasing promotion, so spending big on players and ground improvements, but failing to get it.
clubs are more likely to go insolvent when their outgoings are higher than their income. Just the same as applies in any ther business.

the difference is too many football club owners are reckless with their finances

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #545 on: 22 January, 2023, 11:17:49 pm »
It seems to me that the Southend owner has starved the club of finances. He took over when in 2006 when Southend were a championship side and started their campaign with a win over Sunderland, who were promoted to the Premiership, whilst Southend were relegated. That season they had a League Cup run beating Brighton, Bournemouth, Leeds, Man United, and eventually losing to Tottenham 1 - 0 after extra time. Ever since then, Southend have been in a steady decline.

The owner, Ron Martin, has made no secret of the fact that he wants to "develop" Roots Hall and build and out-of town stadium with shopping centre. In October 2021 I spoke at a Council meeting opposing these plans because of the location of the new stadium and the effect it would have on the roads nearby. The council granted the planning permission anyway. That is not the first time the planning permission had been granted for such a scheme - on a previous occasion it lapsed because nothing was done.

The day after the meeting, it was announced that Martin would appear in court on fraud charges relating to more than £5m in unpaid VAT on land deals.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Martin is playing  a "long game" to make make millions on the deal: he's planning to build a stadium for a club that is about 5 times the size of the biggest crowd they normally get. Every so often, Martin "dips into his back pocket" to pay Southend's tax debt. Some staff also have to wait or their wages.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23218665.southend-united-staff-still-waiting-novembers-wages/

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19735530.southend-united-chairman-ron-martin-court-unpaid-tax-claim/

« Reply #546 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:24:30 am »
It seems to me that the Southend owner has starved the club of finances. .....

The club is a business. The club should be making a profit.

Football fans have this bizarre logic that an owner should be bankrolling the business.

What Ron Martin has done wrong is not to cut the clubs expenditure sufficiently to make its income.

The failure of the business to balance its books is what has led to the financial crisis.

it is a business after all, not a charitable organisation

« Reply #547 on: 23 January, 2023, 09:25:58 am »
It seems to me that the Southend owner has starved the club of finances. He took over when in 2006 when Southend were a championship side and started their campaign with a win over Sunderland, who were promoted to the Premiership, whilst Southend were relegated. That season they had a League Cup run beating Brighton, Bournemouth, Leeds, Man United, and eventually losing to Tottenham 1 - 0 after extra time. Ever since then, Southend have been in a steady decline.

The owner, Ron Martin, has made no secret of the fact that he wants to "develop" Roots Hall and build and out-of town stadium with shopping centre. In October 2021 I spoke at a Council meeting opposing these plans because of the location of the new stadium and the effect it would have on the roads nearby. The council granted the planning permission anyway. That is not the first time the planning permission had been granted for such a scheme - on a previous occasion it lapsed because nothing was done.

The day after the meeting, it was announced that Martin would appear in court on fraud charges relating to more than £5m in unpaid VAT on land deals.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Martin is playing  a "long game" to make make millions on the deal: he's planning to build a stadium for a club that is about 5 times the size of the biggest crowd they normally get. Every so often, Martin "dips into his back pocket" to pay Southend's tax debt. Some staff also have to wait or their wages.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23218665.southend-united-staff-still-waiting-novembers-wages/

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19735530.southend-united-chairman-ron-martin-court-unpaid-tax-claim/

Charges of which he was acquitted

not sure of the relevance here other than to try to besmirch his name by  suggesting he was guilty of offences that were long since dismissed
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/20297291.unpaid-tax-charges-southends-ron-martin-dismissed/

His conduct of affairs at Southend is bad enough without dishonestly implying he is facing charges long since acquitted of

« Reply #548 on: 23 January, 2023, 03:58:35 pm »
No club makes money, especially in the lower leagues. There are enough owners who are chasing glory to inflate the market, and the TV money down there is tiny. There are a couple of fan-owned clubs that have to break even to continue in existence, but a couple of others went back into private hands in recent years so they could receive "investment". Most of the clubs that have gone bust recently were run on the basis that the owners were prepared to prop up the losses, and then the owner changed their mind and didn't put the cash in.
There is a good case that football clubs, especially community ones in the lower leagues shouldn't be regular businesses, but should be some for of community asset. If you force everyone to run at break even then being fan owned suddenly seems like a viable plan. But there are too many fans waiting for the right owner to come along and spend billions to get them to the promised land. And there are owners like those at Stoke (the Coates family?) who resent being blocked from putting more money in.

Ron Martin has operated right on the edge of legality for ages - he's failed to pay wages, he waits for a winding up order from HMRC and then clears the bill etc. It's clear he's not interested in winning football games, he just wants to build houses on the stadium and make money on that. If he could do that and split the club from the stadium, I'd put a lot of money on Southend going into administration straight away.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #549 on: 23 January, 2023, 04:19:23 pm »
clubs are more likely to go insolvent when their outgoings are higher than their income. Just the same as applies in any ther business.

the difference is too many football club owners are reckless with their finances
And outgoings are most likely to exceed income when income has suddenly dropped as a result of relegation. Some players can be sold, but only a few, and that harms the chances of getting back up again, and the ground still has to be maintained though fewer visiting fans (and likely fewer home fans too) will visit. So those are common causes of club insolvency.