Author Topic: very gentle 2 or 3 day tour ideas?  (Read 3855 times)

very gentle 2 or 3 day tour ideas?
« on: 11 April, 2008, 01:10:42 pm »
My little brother had the genius idea of cycling the thames path over 3 days, 30-40 miles a day staying at B&Bs and visiting a lot of pubs on the way. He got his other 1/2 and about a dozen friends excited about it, then realised the thames path is a footpath and is closed to bikes. 

Any suggestions for a very easy 3 day tour, somewhere closeish to London with quiet roads / bridleways and lots of pubs & B&Bs?    Good public transport to one end would be handy too.

bikenerd

Re: very gentle 2 or 3 day tour ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:14:18 pm »
Mike: actually cycling is "tolerated" on much of the Thames Path, despite it not being a bridleway.
If you want to stay strictly legal then you could do some of Sustrans route 5 from Birmingham to London.  In fact, you should be able to do it all in 3 or 4 days.
Or, a tour into the Cotswolds getting the train back from Bath.  We plan to do this from Oxford at the end of May.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:45:44 pm »
How about the Kennet & Avon canal from Reading to Bath or Bristol? PGTips & I rode it when he was about 9, it was an easy two and a half days ride then. With adults it would probably only be two days so you could have some diversions.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:51:17 pm »
I think you'll find that the Thames Path is now classed as a 'National trail' and therefore open to both bikes and pedestrians.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:52:57 pm »
I think you'll find that the Thames Path is now classed as a 'National trail' and therefore open to both bikes and pedestrians.

excellent!!  thanks v. much - will let him know.  Canal paths are being investigated as we speak...

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2008, 01:54:34 pm »

excellent!!  thanks v. much - will let him know.  Canal paths are being investigated as we speak...

meh.  Just did 'thames path national trail' in google and got this:
Following England's Greatest River

On its way the Trail passes peaceful water meadows rich in wildlife, historic towns and many lovely villages

The Thames Path follows England's best known river for 184 miles (294km) as it meanders from its source in the Cotswolds through several rural counties and on through the bustle of the City of London. It is a long distance walking route only for most of it is a public footpath which CANNOT BE CYCLED (anyone wishing to cycle any of the Path should see our FAQs about cycling) .

Back to canals, i think.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:00:54 pm »

meh.  Just did 'thames path national trail' in google and got this:
Following England's Greatest River

On its way the Trail passes peaceful water meadows rich in wildlife, historic towns and many lovely villages

The Thames Path follows England's best known river for 184 miles (294km) as it meanders from its source in the Cotswolds through several rural counties and on through the bustle of the City of London. It is a long distance walking route only for most of it is a public footpath which CANNOT BE CYCLED (anyone wishing to cycle any of the Path should see our FAQs about cycling) .

Back to canals, i think.

Interesting....  it's included in a book of long distance walking and cycling trails that I have and a huge part of it forms part of the Sustrans Thames Valley cycle route.   I know that the parts of the Thames Path that are in Greater London are cycleable - as there has been a lot of uproar over Southwark Council trying to make their patch non-cycling.

Sounds to me like the usual SNAFU over the status of something I have to expect from 'the powers that be'...   ::-)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:04:39 pm »
I rode along the Thames for miles last year - starting in SW London. As far as I could tell it was NCN 4.

Might have deviated on to footpath only bits at times though  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:07:09 pm »
I have the 'Thames valley cycle route' (NCN 4/5) map if you want to borrow it.
PM me your address and I'll get it in the post.

Rich.

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »
How about the Kennet & Avon canal from Reading to Bath or Bristol? PGTips & I rode it when he was about 9, it was an easy two and a half days ride then. With adults it would probably only be two days so you could have some diversions.

The K&A is nice (though the dog walkers do get somewhat annoying on hot days ;D), and once you reach Bath, you can take the Bristol - Bath railway path right up to the front door of Bristol Temple Meads station.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 14 April, 2008, 02:39:18 pm »
Here we are on a wee trip along the K&A last summer. We plan to hire a narrowboat this autumn and do it again.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes