Author Topic: Route ideas in South Devon  (Read 3292 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Route ideas in South Devon
« on: 20 April, 2008, 01:44:02 pm »
We are going down to Devon in May for a few days. South of Dartmoor National Park right between Exeter and Plymouth.

Anyone know some great route ideas ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: Route ideas in South Devon
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2008, 07:50:03 pm »
Take maps because it is a maze of lanes, and if there are holiday-makers around the main roads can get busy.

You could go down to Kingsbridge by lanes: Avonwick, Diptford, Bickham Bridge, Gara Bridge, Kingsbridge, and on to Salcombe if you wish. There are also interesting tidal roads and creekside lanes to explore.

The Teign Valley road, A382 shouldn't be too busy. It's a good cycling road and you can find cafes in Mortonhampstead, or continue further to Sticklepath or right into Okehampton (north of the moor).

Through Ivybridge and north towards Shaugh Prior and Yelverton or Burrator reservoir. Cafes in Tavistock and other places.

Then of course there's the moor itself. Widecombe, Two Bridges, Princetown. You'll need your climbing legs.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 20 April, 2008, 08:01:26 pm »
We are going down to Devon in May for a few days. South of Dartmoor National Park right between Exeter and Plymouth.

Anyone know some great route ideas ?

On or off road? There's some nice tracks around Totnes

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 08:33:05 am »
Off-road, Hummers recommends the Princetown to Plymouth cycle route.

It's a classic and a stop off at the Royal Oak, Meavy, is highly recommended.

It's a great ride and is mostly downhill all the way to the Barbican.

The return would be a bit more of a challenge although you can plot a route back that avoids the main roads.

If you're going to do a circular route, it may be better if you start from Plymouth.

On-road, there's the Colin Lewis training ride which starts from Chudleigh, just off the A38. This is a really scenic circular ride that takes in the Hummers 3 star rated Drewe Arms at Drewsteignton.

Let me know if you want some help with route finding. I'm up in N. Acton tomorrow and Thursday.

H

P.S.

You may want to PM Bomber and Kitzy who are both reside in Plymouth.

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:06:06 am »
Funny. I seldom think off road.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:11:01 am »
Thanks all, but as we both do not have an off road bike, the routes should be on road.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:13:42 am »
I seem to remember all the roads go up, even near the coast...
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:24:04 am »
I seem to remember all the roads go up, even near the coast...

The Teign Valley and my suggestion to Kingsbridge are both valley routes, so not quite so hillsome, but Norfolk it ain't.

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:36:38 am »
Having been born and bred in Exeter, I ought to know some routes, but on reflection I never really cycled very far outside of the city as a kid, and left the City at eighteen to go to University, never to return, aside from visiting family, but I normally drive there, so little cycling.

The best suggestion I can think of is cycling from Exeter down the west side of the Exe, following the route of Brunel's Atmospheric Railway.  If you keep as close to the coast as possible, you'll avoid some of the busier roads, which is not to say you won't get traffic, although it won't be as bad this time of year as it gets in the summer holiday times.  I would imagine you could also follow the Canal at the Exeter end of the route, someone out there should have planned a route along some of this, but I haven't managed to Google one out yet.

(If nothing else, it's worth Googling for details of the Atmospheric Railway, which was an awesome if somewhat ill fated idea).

Personally I'd avoid cycling across Dartmoor, since it's stupidly hilly, but if you like hills, it would be an interesting route to go.  Certainly very scenic, and lots of nice Tors.
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:05:01 am »
If you feel macho, go chevron-collecting.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:07:55 am »
If you feel macho, go chevron-collecting.

Cyclists' equivalent of letterboxing?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:13:09 pm »
Thanks all, but as we both do not have an off road bike, the routes should be on road.

Then the Colin Lewis training route it is then.

35 miles of undulations but through some lovely scenery - even if the weather's not great, it's a super ride.

PM me if you want the route.

H