Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626566 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2175 on: 21 August, 2012, 08:26:39 pm »
An update on that.

I drove to the chippy, missed the trip to the offy, got home, ate the chips and it stopped raining!

I gave up on the idea of a bike ride so went out and did a bit of fettling, then came back in and fettled the firewall (needed a new PSU, which was sat on a shelf in the office, I just hadn't had time to fit it)

Tomorrow WILL be different....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2176 on: 22 August, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »
My Light & Motion Stella 120 has packed up.  :( Totally dead. Not a flicker. Bugger. I know it's not exactly bright by current standards, & I've had almost 4 years of use out of it, but it's still annoying. I liked that light. Very compact, handy to pack as a spare, & a nice beam. It was actually as bright as the manufacturer claimed, unlike most: barely dimmer than a Magicshine which claims 200 lumens.

I think if I ever see anyone selling a secondhand Stella I'll buy it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2177 on: 24 August, 2012, 04:51:33 pm »
Purveyors of women's clothing - it's been decades, if not longer, since women had dressers to assist them with fastenings etc. Any chance you can put trouser zips on the right now please?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2178 on: 24 August, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »
My dad's just phoned to ask if it's all permit parking in this street, and if there are metered spaces, what times aren't metered. Given that I've never owned a car, I don't know why he'd think I'd know.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2179 on: 24 August, 2012, 06:01:57 pm »
My dad's just phoned to ask if it's all permit parking in this street, and if there are metered spaces, what times aren't metered. Given that I've never owned a car, I don't know why he'd think I'd know.

Some spaces will probably be reserved for permit holders only and will be marked with (a) white paint "permit holders only" on the outside of the relevant batch of bays and (b) labels on little white signs that should distinguish between "permit holders only" and "tickets and conditions apply" spaces.

Your dad can park in the second type of place, provided he complies with the conditions - generally speaking, buying and displaying a ticket between specified times.  These details should be on the ticket machines.  Precise details vary street-by-street in Embra, but there will come a point (daily, and for at least part of the weekend) where there's no need to pay. 

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/1265/parking_and_car_parks

Looks like Priestfield is the nearest area with unrestricted parking.  Could he use the Park and Ride?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2180 on: 24 August, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »
He could, but he wouldn't! The meters clock off at 1730 so he should be ok outside till Monday morning.

LindaG

« Reply #2181 on: 28 August, 2012, 08:43:04 am »
My neck hurts and my feet hurt. Hmph.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2182 on: 29 August, 2012, 01:01:15 pm »
Dum, de dum de dum de dum

Came in  this morning and my cha-air was gone

de dum de dum de dum

found another, but the set up was wrong

de dum de dum de dum

Ain't got the right angle, seat's in a mess,

How to alter the back is anyone's guess.

Gonna be a long day, gotta handbook to write,
there's gotta be something will make it alright...

ONE WHISKEY, ONE SCOTCH AND ONE BEER

Or two, or three, or...

« Reply #2183 on: 29 August, 2012, 01:09:59 pm »
Pah!

I go away on my holidays tomorrow.

So naturally Giles (that's the horse) has a foot abscess/stone stuck inside his frog (that's the soft part of the hoof), which is going to require vet, sedation, removal, poulticing and antibiotics.  And I can't bloody well be there! 

ARGH!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2184 on: 29 August, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »
Which is why you pay good money for him to be stabled at a good yard, where ppl will look after him well in your absence. And they will.  Giles will be fine, you will be fine.  Doesn't stop it being an absolute arse timing-wise and worth grumbling about thobut!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2185 on: 29 August, 2012, 05:58:07 pm »
Bah. I could have sworn I owned a chain-breaker. Well it's not in my toolbox  :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2186 on: 30 August, 2012, 12:48:47 pm »
My wife had a prang in the car this morning. Some old duffer drove into her on a roundabout. His fault, obviously...

As she described what happened, I was having trouble envisaging it. "You know that bit where the roundabout narrows down from two lanes to one..."

Er... ???

I eventually got enough detail from her to work out what happened and I hate to say it, but it sounds like it was probably entirely her fault. But I'm not going to say that to her, am I? No, I'm not that stupid. I value my testicles. I'm going to be a good husband and offer her sympathy and hope she's OK after her nasty shock.

Sigh.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2187 on: 03 September, 2012, 09:51:59 pm »
Back working away from home for half the week :(
But I remembered the bike, he***t, gloves, shoes and shorts. :)
Then the last meeting of the day overran and I don't have lights :(
So, no ride today. Tomorrow I'm going to see my mother, so no ride then
And Wednesday I'll be driving home so no ride then either. 
Hope the bike enjoys its tip in the car.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2188 on: 04 September, 2012, 08:32:10 am »
So far, just a grumble, but it may escalate!

Ryanair: your online checking in process makes no allowance for change of travel documentation. Two of my kids' passports have expired during their stay and the new details need to be added to the booking, but no, you can't do that online can you? I called your £1/min premium number to see how to do this and expected a looooong call, but your agent was helpful and within 2.30mins said an email would arrive within an hour detailing how to proceed. We shall see.

Update: Now resolved, although the Ryanair offshore drone did say there would be instructions with the follow up email. There weren't, it was just a new reservation number, so I wasn't sure it was the correct email.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2189 on: 05 September, 2012, 11:53:45 am »
My boiler is supposed to get its annual inspection today. The engineer was supposed to ring between 8 and 9 to let me know what time he'd be here. I rang the service people at 10 to ask what time he'd be here. They said they'd find out and phone back. They haven't. *sigh*

« Reply #2190 on: 05 September, 2012, 12:50:17 pm »
Border Agency nazi at the Eurotunnel station in France: I don't expect a smile, I don't expect pleasantries; I do, however, expect you to show me that you aren't Robocop. For dog's sake show a trace of humanity...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

essexian

« Reply #2191 on: 05 September, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »
Just spent three hours checking and printing out 30, three page documents.

I come to staple them together only to discover the printer ran out of ink after the fifth document.... :facepalm:

Might have to go out for a cycle ride.

Chris S

« Reply #2192 on: 06 September, 2012, 09:23:25 am »
Dear The Men painting the outside of the flats,

Whilst nowhere near as annoying as the wolf whistling and calls of "Get yer tits out darlin'"1 by the charming hairy apes who put the scaffolding up, your attempts at singing are a distraction when I'm trying to get this SQL query to work.

Please. Stop it.

Sincerely
A. Tenant.

=============
1 This wasn't addressed to me btw, but to a couple of young ladies walking by  ::-).

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2193 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:17:55 am »
Office air-con on the blink. Windows helpfully sealed shut.

It's bad now; at this rate it'll be intolerable later.

« Reply #2194 on: 07 September, 2012, 08:29:05 pm »
Bah I'm such a ninny. Bought a doorframe pull up bar. Though it was just friction fit but turns out it has brackets you need to screw to door frame.

Frame is only just deep enough for the screw holes required (in a triangle layout) so being impatient I thought I'd just wedge it in without brakets to see if it'd hold my weight. Using a bit of corrugated cardboard each end to protect the paintwork. Well it held me but the card was insufficient and I now have a dented doorframe.  :facepalm:

When will I learn to do things properly andbe a bit more patient.

Really annoyed at myself which is silly because the doorframe can be fixed and it's not even that bad anyway.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2195 on: 07 September, 2012, 08:29:29 pm »
2 week old Samsung Galaxy S3s don't float.
I know this to be true.

Feanor

« Reply #2196 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:53:32 pm »
Hmm, an update on the Galaxy floating thing.

From the department of Too Much Information, the thing was in the back pocket of my jeans.
As said jeans were being slid down, the thing slipped out and landed in the toilet bowl.
Clean fresh water.
Some bad words may have been said.

Grabed out instantly, and ripped apart, battery removed.
Surface-dried everything.
Shook it a bit, and some water came out of the innards.  Bah.
Tried to boot it.  No go.   Battery back out.
Took it home by bike, and sat it on top of hot water tank.

It's been drying for a couple of hours now.
Tried putting battery in.
It boots and works!

Battery back out, and let it cook overnight.
Looking hopefull, tho.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2197 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:01:18 pm »
Feanor, next time, get yourself a cheapie Samsung SGH-M150. Mine has survived two 30 degree wash cycles.
Not my fault though - Mrs eck is just a bit too keen to rip off my fragrant 'eau de cycliste' kit as soon as I get home and bung it in the washing machine.  :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2198 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:05:36 pm »
Feanor, try putting it in a sealable container and fill the remaining space with rice. The rice can absorb some of the water.

Feanor

« Reply #2199 on: 07 September, 2012, 10:13:30 pm »
Thanks to both for your suggestions.

I too suffer from excessive washings of kit imposed from HQ.
I have several items of nice merino which have been over-washed to death, and would now fit a doll.

The rice as a drying agent sounds quite good, too.

Anyways, the thing is cooking at the moment, and hopefully it may live.