Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626607 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8650 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:10:29 pm »
I have finally had to admit I can't see close up stuff that well any more. Been avoid that admission for at least a couple of years  ;D
In normal life it doesn't affect me much- except when Simon thrusts his iPhone into my face to look at something and I have to hold it away to see it.
But when I am operating I find I can't peer at things to get a better view. Little of what I do would class as micro-surgery, and my experience makes me automatically more epic than someone with less than 20 years experience on the job. But I think I might have to go for an eye test- first one in 30 years  ::-) Am 46 now so about time  :facepalm:

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #8651 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:18:34 pm »
In American measures I'm XS (could probably fit XXS, but I like to leave room to gestate a pie baby after lunch) so you must be really tiny.

s' prolly quantum innit?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8652 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:24:23 pm »
I have finally had to admit I can't see close up stuff that well any more. Been avoid that admission for at least a couple of years  ;D
In normal life it doesn't affect me much- except when Simon thrusts his iPhone into my face to look at something and I have to hold it away to see it.
But when I am operating I find I can't peer at things to get a better view. Little of what I do would class as micro-surgery, and my experience makes me automatically more epic than someone with less than 20 years experience on the job. But I think I might have to go for an eye test- first one in 30 years  ::-) Am 46 now so about time  :facepalm:

you'll soon be joining the rest of us mortals, on the borderline of bi-focal-ness, harumph
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8653 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:35:32 pm »
I am a year or so older than you and succummed to this a few years ago. Yes it is annoying. I would suggest that you do not go down the route of bifocals for close work unless you are needing to rapidly switch between close and distant vision. I have bifocals for the lab and it is mostly fine except when it isn't - the most recent example having to read the screen of a machine that is at just above head height, requiring some considerable tneck contortions.

Just do it, a pair of close work specs will make a big difference. I also have some cheap (pound shop) 'reading glasses' that are good for sticking in the jersey pocket for bike rides.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8654 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:36:27 pm »
PS. The 'let me get my glasses and take a look' also gives you a bit longer to work out what the heck is going on without people expecting an immediate pronouncement. :)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #8655 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:41:46 pm »
I am a year or so older than you and succummed to this a few years ago. Yes it is annoying. I would suggest that you do not go down the route of bifocals for close work unless you are needing to rapidly switch between close and distant vision. I have bifocals for the lab and it is mostly fine except when it isn't - the most recent example having to read the screen of a machine that is at just above head height, requiring some considerable tneck contortions.

Just do it, a pair of close work specs will make a big difference. I also have some cheap (pound shop) 'reading glasses' that are good for sticking in the jersey pocket for bike rides.

My main worry is when I get to the point of not being able to see my Garmin while riding without using something to help which then steams up when I am climbing a bastard-hill  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8656 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:42:42 pm »
If you're climbing a bastard hill, you don't need a Garmin to know that it's the right direction.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8657 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:49:34 pm »
No bifocals for me quite yet, just a suggestion at the last eye test, but having worn specs for 20 odd years that's not too bad.  I just take my current specs off for close work these days.

As for the Garmin, surely all you need is the clock and the next turn?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8658 on: 20 February, 2017, 12:01:54 am »
No bifocals for me quite yet, just a suggestion at the last eye test, but having worn specs for 20 odd years that's not too bad.  I just take my current specs off for close work these days.

As for the Garmin, surely all you need is the clock and the next turn?

You (or rather I) need map screen, heart rate, cadence, average heart rate, average cadence, distance to go unit, next point (control), time until finish etc. etc.  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8659 on: 20 February, 2017, 01:41:14 am »
[OT] Was at a social event in the company of of a middled-aged optician, who was struggling with his phone's display; suggested maybe he should get reading specs.
Silly moo!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #8660 on: 20 February, 2017, 11:56:52 am »
 :facepalm: Typical clinician then! #NotAlletc...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8661 on: 20 February, 2017, 02:35:54 pm »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8662 on: 20 February, 2017, 02:40:12 pm »
Wanted a ride after my sterling efforts of this morning, but was curiously knackered so went for a stroll with the missus instead. 10/10 overcast, wind getting up and a few spots of rain so just as well. Allasame  :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8663 on: 20 February, 2017, 06:44:21 pm »
Against my better judgement I took the sprogs to Bicester Village* today. It was full of shallow, label-obsessed narcissists and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Even the sprogs disliked it and Jr phoned me an hour before we'd agreed to meet up to ask to get out of there.

*An out-of-town designer outlet mall, only outside.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #8664 on: 20 February, 2017, 07:41:53 pm »
new front door frame is to narrow for the trikes so i have had to lock them both out the front of the house  :(
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8665 on: 20 February, 2017, 07:58:54 pm »
new front door frame is to narrow for the trikes so i have had to lock them both out the front of the house  :(

That's more than a bit shit.  Any chance that they'll sort it out?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8666 on: 20 February, 2017, 08:06:52 pm »
Or get one of those cycle boxes, like so: http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage
I expect a bigger door might be cheaper.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8667 on: 20 February, 2017, 11:18:57 pm »
Fruit Computers nagged me to upgrade my OS.
Now my computer can't see our networked BIG HP printer in David's room.

Apple just works.
Not!

David spent frustrating evening trying to sort this out.
The best he can do is a workaround by my printing through his networked computer.

David will not be updating his OS any time soon...

He has let Apple know.
Printer drivers are now packaged in the OS and not available separately.

How handy!

« Reply #8668 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:10:32 pm »
gentleman from the door suppliers came round today . liz's new trike is the narrowest and he is hopeful of sorting something out for it but the trice is to wide  :'( . the new door is built into a frame and has less space due to it's "thermal design"  . i suspect the only answer is a metal cycle box . thanks for the link cudzoziemiec

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8669 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:36:25 pm »
You'd think that it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to design a door that could open wide enough for the things that need to pass through it without overheating...   :facepalm:

(If they really can't fix it, can they make the floor level so you can tip the trike sideways onto a dolly (front brake on) and wheel it in and out that way?  Barakta's has to go through our door sideways, which is fine as a carefully choreographed two-person lift, but tends to end badly if I attempt it unassisted.)

« Reply #8670 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
it might be possible kim . i am waiting to see they say  :). now i had a action man but i have never had a dolly..... :D

« Reply #8671 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:48:49 pm »
Against my better judgement I took the sprogs to Bicester Village* today. It was full of shallow, label-obsessed narcissists and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Even the sprogs disliked it and Jr phoned me an hour before we'd agreed to meet up to ask to get out of there.

*An out-of-town designer outlet mall, only outside.
That place causes frequent traffic jams, & has caused Bicester Town railway station to to be downgraded to Village.  >:(

Apparently it is well-known in China.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

barakta

« Reply #8672 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:13:08 pm »
Surely they should have been speccing up a door system wide enough for wheelchairs in case of that becoming a necessity for you Cycleman in the future?

Hope you can get a solution or some kind of secure outdoor storage solution.

« Reply #8673 on: 21 February, 2017, 11:12:28 pm »
of course they havent thought of that barakta  ::-). all tva housing round here is having these new doors and windows fitted and it is all standerd sizes. . i have not tried my wheelchair through it yet but i am not hopeful.

barakta

« Reply #8674 on: 22 February, 2017, 12:15:41 am »
Failure to consider your needs as a disabled person is unlawful in the extreme. They have a duty to make reasonable adjustments and as a services provider that duty is ANTICIPATORY and as you exist and already have a wheelchair they should have been asking about your likely access needs and meeting them.

On that grounds alone you can tell them they have to replace the door which is wide enough for wheelchair access even if that means them using different sized parts and replacing the ones they have just installed.

Stupid fuckers. How do organisations not think of this shit?