Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134336 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14275 on: 25 January, 2020, 12:58:20 pm »
Replaced the fixed’s brake levers that I crunched in a fall during my commute Monday night. To be fair, the bushes on the levers were pretty flogged out. Had to replace the brake cables and handlebar tape at the same time. Replaced the newly repaired (last Sunday!) crunched taillight mount on the fixed.

Repaired the Pedros Trixie that was a bit overmatched last weekend.

Disassembled/ reassembled the headset on HK’s Kinesis. Hopefully that gets rid of the phantom creaks.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14276 on: 25 January, 2020, 07:54:26 pm »
Bar tape to the rhs of the Giant, and repositioned the lever while at it, it was irritatingly not aligned with the left.

Also re lubed the rhs pedal spindle and loosened it a bit, its self-tightened twice for some reason.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14277 on: 28 January, 2020, 08:19:55 pm »
New chainring day. Spa own brand offerings fitted to my existing Shimano 105 triple. Went 48/38/28 as the old 50/39/30 was worn and I wasn’t making best use of my whole 11-32 cassette.

Got to say the Spa rings are very pretty and are an almost exact fit on the 105. Slight cosmetic discrepancy to the trained eye and that’s it. I’ll try them out on a 1.75 AAA ride on Saturday.

« Reply #14278 on: 30 January, 2020, 11:31:12 pm »
Lots of tyres. Set my Surly up in MTB mode, and the 3" tyre at the rear seems to be staying up now (tubeless). And fitted a new chain.

I had a quick look at the tyres on my Dave Yates too - fucked. So I fitted some new ones, some Jack Brown Mile Munchers I've had for a while.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14279 on: 31 January, 2020, 08:41:53 am »
Rechargeables in MrsT's cordless phone died. I put in a couple of Duracell AAA NiMHs that have been lying on my desk for the last 5 years and they still had enough juice to power the thing up. Surprising.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14280 on: 02 February, 2020, 03:41:40 pm »
As per upthread I have replaced my chainrings which made climbing 1750m over 117km yesterday a revelation. This month I need to replace the cassette which is shot. The chain is fairly new and according to my measuring stick, in good shape. Would it be an unnecessary extravagance to replace it? I am worried about meshing issues. Thank you.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14281 on: 02 February, 2020, 04:47:04 pm »
Replaced some rusted stem bolts on my fixed with SS. Also fitted a replacement dyno headlight to it, replaced the dodgy bearings in the On One hub and lubed the chain. Hopefully I can ignore my fixed for a good while now but the Campag triple crank (running a single ring) looks to be very tight to the driveside cup of the Centaur BB. The headset bearings are sounding ominous too.

Replaced the SunXCD 46t big ring and associated chainring bolts on HK’s Kinesis. Maybe that’ll quiet a persistent creak but I suspect I’ll have to pull and refit the BB. The chainring lasted about 15 months but more than 20,000km. The 30t small ring hasn’t been used much. Also swapped a corroded headset bolt with stainless.

The rear rim on the Kinesis has cracked in two places on the driveside. Time to look at Hunt’s warrantee - 3 years, so should be ok but still a hassle.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14282 on: 02 February, 2020, 04:48:32 pm »
HC, I can’t see how you can have worn chainrings and cassette but not chain if the chain wasn’t skipping dramatically with the worn equipment.

« Reply #14283 on: 02 February, 2020, 05:04:05 pm »
HC, I can%u2019t see how you can have worn chainrings and cassette but not chain if the chain wasn%u2019t skipping dramatically with the worn equipment.

I%u2019ve only recently put a new chain on. Chainrings%u2019 first outing yesterday. It wasn%u2019t entirely clear what was causing issues. After yesterday%u2019s spin it is really noticeable how sweet the front by end is now. As it%u2019s smoother it makes it more noticeable that the cassette is junk. Originally I was going to just change the cassette for better gearage. Then a club mate pointed out there was more to it and the lot needs to go but different chainrings would be wiser than fiddle with rear derailleur lengths and huge cassettes. I%u2019ve done it in stages for budgetary reasons.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14284 on: 02 February, 2020, 06:39:29 pm »
If the chain measures as brand new, then continue to use it. If the chain is part-worn, it will rapidly wear the cassette to match.

« Reply #14285 on: 02 February, 2020, 06:50:44 pm »
If the chain measures as brand new, then continue to use it. If the chain is part-worn, it will rapidly wear the cassette to match.

Godessy wisdom appreciated. Measures as new (not as in dodgy EBay descriptions)

Hope you are on the mend btw  :-[

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14286 on: 02 February, 2020, 06:59:29 pm »
You may be confusing me with LittleWheels. I’m a strapping bloke with only the usual aches and pains at the moment.

« Reply #14287 on: 02 February, 2020, 07:17:01 pm »
You may be confusing me with LittleWheels. I’m a strapping bloke with only the usual aches and pains at the moment.

Oops! Please accept my apologies and pass on my good wishes  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14288 on: 02 February, 2020, 09:38:16 pm »
Had a nasty loud click from the chainring region every revolution when about 30-40 km into a ride.  Stopped to check chainring bolts and general looseness without success so I just carried on for about another 30 clicks as the US military would say.

Sorted now - the pedal was just a tiny bit loose on the crank.
Move Faster and Bake Things

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14289 on: 04 February, 2020, 07:19:44 am »
Tried repairing a Cyo's broken mounting tab with Sugro and a couple of SS washers a couple of days ago. We'll see how it survives real life soon enough.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14290 on: 04 February, 2020, 11:15:02 pm »
Replaced my second dead Axa dyno headlight on my fixed commuter with a repaired Cyo.

It looks like the driveside crank has taken the anodising off the Centaur BB cup. Something to investigate this weekend.

« Reply #14291 on: 05 February, 2020, 03:52:57 pm »
The culmination of an extended fettle of a Bugaboo Bee pram that has resulted in a silent! rolling item. Given that I am now an hexpert, I will share the knowledge for those interested, those uninterested look away now.

The bugaboo wheels are foam filled and, as they wear, they start making a heck of a racket. While most whole components are available, including bearings, the tyres and inserts are not. If you are looking to pick up some second hand wheels to replace a noisy one, look carefully at the wheel profile. If the centre of the slick tread is not a lump/bead, if it is flat like you expect a wheel to be, then it is worn, do not bother with it. Look carefully at this image, you will see what I mean, it is NOT smooth edge to edge.

If you can only get the front wheel and you need a rear wheel, they can be removed, heating in an oven at 80 degrees or soaking in boiling water will make it removable with the application of a screwdriver/tyre lever and significant brute force.  A removed wheel and insert can be applied to a new wheel without any further heating.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14292 on: 05 February, 2020, 09:05:24 pm »
Pulled both cranks off my fixed and the RH crank has been rubbing on the Centaur BB cup hard enough and long enough to remove 0.5 mm or so of metal off each surface. I can’t seem to find my Campag BB tool to remove the BB, so I am a little stymied at the moment. I was wondering why I was slowing down on my fixed lately.

About the only way I can pedal to work tomorrow is by tricycle. That wouldn’t be very popular in the rather snug bike room.

Stripped the cracked rear Hunt wheel off HK’s Kinesis so that the courier can pick it up tomorrow.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14293 on: 06 February, 2020, 11:09:09 pm »
Removed and disassembled the Centaur BB from my fixed. Realigned the axle in the bearings and reassembled my fixed for the commute tomorrow. Not impressed with this BB design, a bit delicate and fussy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14294 on: 08 February, 2020, 06:16:19 pm »
Replaced the cracked Mavic rear rim on my Frezoni with a Kinlin, along with the rear brake pads and both tyres. Still needs a good wash though.

Replaced the front tyre on my fixed. Also needs a wash.

Recharged the mudguard taillight batteries on HK’s MTB commuter and replaced a corroded mudguard rivet with a SS bolt and Nyloc nut. Like all the other bikes, it needs a wash.

« Reply #14295 on: 09 February, 2020, 12:09:50 pm »
Some temporary support / bracing for our neighbours fence. She’s an elderly widow, so can’t do it, and she won’t pay anyone else to fix it because she’s just sold the house.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14296 on: 09 February, 2020, 09:41:27 pm »
Disassembled the rear wheel of HK's Roberts and ordered replacement Campag pawls and spring. That wheel will be together in time for HK to ride to Salisbury next weekend if the replacement Hunt rear wheel hasn't arrived to go into her Kinesis. EDIT: told the replacement wheel is being dispatched Monday.

Still to refurb the worn Campag Ergos on the audax tandem and still to convert the racing tandem to audax configuration. Perhaps next weekend.

One of these days, all of the bikes will be in full working condition simultaneously, surely?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14297 on: 09 February, 2020, 09:45:47 pm »
Fettled my Garmin off the green bike for selling tomorrow morning.

Fettled a QR wheel onto the front of the fixed as a replacement for the track hubbed wheel which was damaged in a crash.

Might try and rebuild the wheel onto a new rim in the fullness of time.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14298 on: 10 February, 2020, 10:30:09 pm »
Great start to Monday - went to check my tyre pressure as the new spikey tyres were feeling a bit weird last week.
Unscrewed the valve cap and the rest of the valve came with it.  :facepalm:
Managed to screw it back in and pump it up. Rode to work, forgot all about it until I left work and found I had a squishy tyre again.
Home via EBC for some new inners. Fingers crossed it's still alive tomorrow morning.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14299 on: 11 February, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »
Fettled our voracious buddleia into handy buddleia morsels with the chainsaw.  Very gratifying feeling of POWER the thing conveys.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight