Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2173272 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14325 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:29:19 pm »
Degreased the s/h hedgetrimmer I got at the weekend.  Then it wouldn't start.  Turned out to be a loose LV spade connection on the ignition module.  Carb needs tuning a bit as the idle is barely fast enough to keep it from stalling, but I'll wait until the new spark plug and air filter arrive.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14326 on: 03 March, 2020, 04:19:06 pm »
A hand axe turned up so I converted a bag of softwood offcuts into kindling.  It's rather satisfying.

Also got a moisture meter.  The kiln dried stuff I had delivered last year is about 10% - it was in the wood store outside until ten days ago.  The eucalyptus I cut and split six weeks ago is about 25% (it was already dead, so not taking up sap) . That's for next year, though.  The kindling in the airing cupboard* is 0%.  I am, apparently, 38%.

*I have an unusually huge airing cupboard.  The builders must have been fans of homebrew.

« Reply #14327 on: 05 March, 2020, 04:00:35 pm »
Stripped down my elderly Garmin 800 Edge and installed a new battery.

Surprisingly easy, even for someone with fat fingers.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14328 on: 05 March, 2020, 04:06:21 pm »
Degreased and washed a new chain then coated it in wax lube.  It's hanging up in the workshop now until I get round to degreasing the cassette it's supposed to pull, at which point I'll mount it & give it another dose of lube.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14329 on: 06 March, 2020, 08:24:24 pm »
Took the Marathon Winters off the old bike and replaced them with Schwalbe Range Cruisers from the new one. Fitted Marathon Plusses onto the new one. The latter task was easier than expected. Fitted the feeble, standard front light from the new one onto the old one. Tweaked the v brakes on the old bike and oiled its chain ready for collection tomorrow. Hopefully.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14330 on: 07 March, 2020, 11:52:42 am »
Serviced the hedgetrimmer.  New spark plug, primer bulb, starter cord and air filter.  Fuel filter looked ok although I have one spare.  Greased the gearbox.

It now starts very easily (even at idle) and it cuts very well too.  The blades seem fine but I may give them a bit of a sharpen when I'm bored.

I'm quite impressed with the design, speaking as someone who once totally rebuilt a Briggs and Stratton engine and found it rather horrid, especially the flimsy air governor.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14331 on: 07 March, 2020, 06:59:29 pm »
I've un-fettled the temperature limiting blending valve from the bathroom at Feanor Outposts in Edinburgh.

This device limits the hot water temperature at the tap to luke-warm.
Now I understand why these might be appropriare in certain scenarios, this is not one of them.
The main downside is that although the temperature is *just* ok when you fill the bath, it's not possible to top it up when it cools.
That requires a smallish volume of properly hot water.
Trying to top up with water thats only a few degrees warmer than the bath means you pretty much need a full tub volume!

The pipework was JG speedfit, mostly demountable pushfit, but compression at the valve itself.
Demountable my arse. Like screws holding things together, they all come out but the last one.
And so it was. The demounting collar would not budge. Ended up just cutting the pipe.

And alarm bells should have sounded when one of the compression olives was under a yard of PTFE tape.
Tried to leave the backnuts and olives in place, and replace the valve body with a straight metal compression coupling, re-using the existing nuts and olives.
The suspect coupling would not stop weeping even with a bunch of PTFE.
Cut the pipe back behind the olives and used a new JG Pushfit fitting and all was well.

I can haz hot baths!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14332 on: 07 March, 2020, 08:17:12 pm »
I've un-fettled the temperature limiting blending valve from the bathroom at Feanor Outposts in Edinburgh.

This device limits the hot water temperature at the tap to luke-warm.
Now I understand why these might be appropriare in certain scenarios, this is not one of them.

Those things, while sometimes necessary, are a work of Stan.

« Reply #14333 on: 07 March, 2020, 08:36:20 pm »
I tried my hand and fettling tubless tyres onto wheels today (for the first time). The result was a draw: one wheel with tyre that holds air, the other with a tyre that bubbles white goo. Then I lost both the daylight and the little black bit that holds the valve in. So I went and fettled supper.

« Reply #14334 on: 11 March, 2020, 10:37:10 pm »
A bottom bracket, chainset and front derailleur onto my new frame. I also established that i need more spacers (i'm not planning to cut down the steerer until I've ridden it enough to be confident of where to cut).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14335 on: 13 March, 2020, 03:07:39 pm »
A new main controller PCB into the built in microwave at the flat in Edinburgh.

Several segments were out on the display. All working now.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14336 on: 13 March, 2020, 06:09:21 pm »
new chain onto the turbo bike.  The old one was so worn it was almost at the point of skipping as was making nasty noises in the higher gears.

Much smoother now, and shifting better.  I am almost tempted to repeat my last nastyval session which was the end of a progression just too see what different it might make.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14337 on: 15 March, 2020, 06:40:24 pm »
I added a rear derailleur, seatpost and saddle to my new bike. I can't put wheels on yet, so I'm avoiding things that will stick out and be in the way if it's hanging around indoors for days.

« Reply #14338 on: 16 March, 2020, 09:53:33 pm »
The adaptors for 12mm axles arrived today, so my new bike now has wheels. :D
That then meant i could take a first pass at saddle and stem height. There's a lot of spacers, until I'm happy with the position. I also put pedals on.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14339 on: 17 March, 2020, 11:06:47 am »
Straightened the shifter that got knocked out of line by the road yesterday, dismounted the tyre that caused it. Nothing spectacular in view - blow-out's only about a centimetre long.  Tube looks fixable.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14340 on: 19 March, 2020, 11:06:59 am »
Fettled my old aerobars into a lectern so that MrsT can use her Kindle while pedalling in the cellar.

« Reply #14341 on: 19 March, 2020, 10:41:14 pm »
Handlebars, brake levers and brake cables on the new bike. I recruited Miss Dan the Younger to help with the bars and levers.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14342 on: 21 March, 2020, 03:24:11 pm »
Pingu & I have just inspected the innards of my Roberts headset.
I'm at a loss as to why they chose to install a cartridge bearing at the top of the head tube but a set of caged bearings at the bottom.

The state of the caged bearings (of which ~30% were missing after ~14 years) explains why it felt a bit meh, despite the cartridge bearing feeling fine.

We had hoped we were just going to be measuring cartridges and putting it back together for a ride tomorrow while waiting for new ones to appear.
Hah  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #14343 on: 21 March, 2020, 04:33:04 pm »
Some car related bits and pieces. New wiper blades on the new-to-me Audi. New gas struts for the hatchback of my wife’s car. The sorted the Thule wing bars onto the Audi using the new foot pack and fixing kit - this one has no roof rails. Crikey, the foot packs are at the extremes of the bar on the front, a couple of millimetres shorter and I’d have needed new bars too!  Oh, and I put the wheel nut cover puller I had to buy into the tool roll. Just as well I knew one was needed and looked for it before needing it. Checked tyre pressures, which should be 33 front and 30 rear. 35/35/36/40  ::-). Off to check the wife’s car tyres now, and see what Apple CarPlay is all about. Oh, and stuck the rear numberplate more securely.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14344 on: 21 March, 2020, 07:12:49 pm »
Assembled Mrs Dan's birthday present spinning bike. Bloody heavy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14345 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:40:52 am »
Fitted new SPD/flat pedals to HK’s commuter MTB. Replaced a worn Campag cone on HK’s Roberts. Replaced the rear brake pads on HK’s Kinesis. Might start on my own bikes shortly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14346 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:04:33 am »
Cleared and vacuumed (it was a bit dusty!) the table in the back “bedroom” that we use as an office, in preparation of wfh starting sometime next week. Fortunately my colleague left work last week, so I can bring his monitors etc home and leave my desk at work undisturbed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14347 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:54:43 am »
Done 1st of 2 Headshok service, renewed the oil in the cartridge as the lockout was not working properly and checked all the o rings. Querty cycles are running out of spares, should start looking on ebay for unloved cannondales for spare parts. 😄

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14348 on: 25 March, 2020, 10:13:07 am »
recabled the front mech on the Giant
Recumbent onto the turbo, it's a bit bouncy, but we'll see how it goes under resistance this evening
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14349 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:34:42 pm »
Chain to the right length, gears shifting, bottle cage added.