Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 288767 times)

Something of a service to humanity:

http://radio.garden

Allows you to listen to any radio station in the world.  I've currently got this going: http://radio.garden/listen/sr2/MYkzevzf  SR2 used to be my favourite station when I was driving to clients in the Hunsrück. Can't get it here.

Bloody brilliant! Thanks!

Thanks? Thanks ? ? ? ? I've got better things to do with my time than sit here tuning into random radio around the place. Maybe. If I could only think of them. One more minute, then.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
@Ham, hahahahaaa.  You won't want to know that there is an Android app too, will you?

I spent all of yesterday afternoon annoying Mrs T with Catalan music stations.  Brought back lots of great memories.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Lauren Laverne, off of 6 Music, just played "Where Were You" by The Mekons.

I saw The Mekons once at The Lyceum, on the same bill as Stiff Little Fingers, The Human League, The Fall and The Gang of Four. Top gig.

Google tells me that was in March 1979. Nearly 42 years ago...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

o hai biffy clyro!

Putting 20 minutes of fuck-all in the middle of a track is neither big nor clever.  Don't do it again.

kthxbai

PS: Audacity to the rescue.  Again.

From what I've heard of them, that would be the best bit.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Reminiscent of various beliefs and practices.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
He obviously hasn’t read The Laundry Files, specifically the bits involving Mo and the violin.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

He obviously hasn’t read The Laundry Files, specifically the bits involving Mo and the violin.

Or some of the more gruesome passages in Banks's "The Player Of Games" & "Use Of Weapons"
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I thought my CD player was fuX0red until I googled it and found the squeak every second line in "Counting Stars"* is actually on the recording.

*on a compilation, I wouldn't buy that sort of X Factor-level crap on its own 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Do CD players ever fail in a subtle way like that?  I've only ever known them to lose their tracking and stop playing for a bit[1], completely reject the disc, or stutt-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t until you wished they rejected the disc.

I suppose the analogue side could go wibbly...

[1] Shout out to whoever thought the CD walkman was a good idea.  Prat.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
The one in my motor-car seems to do all of the above on home-burned CDs, at random.

Anyway, Bandcamp: if I purchase ten albums from your estimable selves would it really be that difficult to arrange for SCIENCE to package the whole lot into a single archive instead of making me go <clicky-pa-a-a-use-save> ten times?

rogerzilla

They have motors, bearings and (sometimes) drivebelts, so they can certainly make mechanical noises.

I usually play music from a media streamer using high bitrate MP3s but CDs sound immeasurably better and less muddy.  CDs cost next to nothing secondhand.  I'm not bothered about new music because I have zero tolerance for autotune (now universal).  I suppose the kids have grown up with it and don't notice it, but it sounds unmistakably reedy to me.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.

Or some of the more gruesome passages in Banks's "The Player Of Games" & "Use Of Weapons"

Or the Northumbrian folk song 'The Two Sisters' [various other titles]
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

nicknack

• Hornblower

Or the Northumbrian folk song 'The Two Sisters' [various other titles]
Aye. 'Cruel Sister' on Pentangle's album of the same name from a very long time ago.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
They have motors, bearings and (sometimes) drivebelts, so they can certainly make mechanical noises.

Yeah, but that would come from the transport rather than the speakers/headphones, so there wouldn't be a question of whether it's supposed to sound like that.

I usually play music from a media streamer using high bitrate MP3s but CDs sound immeasurably better and less muddy.

Best of both worlds: FLAC.

I'm not bothered about new music because I have zero tolerance for autotune (now universal).  I suppose the kids have grown up with it and don't notice it, but it sounds unmistakably reedy to me.

It's the overcooked vocoder effect that gets me.  It was irritating, if novel, when Cher did it.  It hasn't improved with time and proliferation.  Humbug.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
@Kim, I think you'll find the only time that the vocorder is acceptable is "Mr Blue Sky" anything is pish.

Meanwhile the thing that gets me about modern music (as we seem to be heading in that direction) is the perception that a song is only any good if it contains lots of, what I call, the woowoos.  You know the thing, I blame Leona Lewis, Anne Marie and Jess Glynne.  Stoppit! NOW!

Come the revolution, they'll all be up against the bloody wall, comrade
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

Autotune sounds just as bad when it's used to cover up a lack of singing ability.  In its early days, Avril Lavigne, who can't carry a tune in a bucket, used it on "Complicated", and it's really obvious.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/15/he-was-the-steve-jobs-of-audio-how-rupert-neve-changed-the-sound-of-music-recording

Possibly one for the dubious claims to fame thread, but I once met the AIR studio 1 Neve mixing desk (as modelled by Mark Knopfler's feet on the cover of On Every Street) with its guts hanging out.  They're even more impressive on the inside; the witchcraft's all done with transformers, none of this op-amp rubbish.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
The desk at Sound City was also one of his/theirs.  Much fun ensued when Dave Grohl bought it and moved it to his own studio.  Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly only there's no Haynes Manual and it was installed in 1969…

A remake of "The Ipcress File" ?   And it sounds like they are developing the lead character from the film rather than the original novel.   

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/philharmonic-pub-transformed-city-centre-19853634

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/itv-turns-ipcress-file-tv-160039658.html

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
“Berlin-set”?

Neither the book nor the film goes anywhere near Berlin >:(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
They've probably docked the line "Your seams are crooked, Alice" as well.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
From the Liverpool Echo article linked up there ^

The new ITV spy thriller stars Joe Cole, Harry Palmer, Lucy Boynton and Tom Hollander and is adapted by BAFTA winning Trainspotting writer John Hodge.
My bold.  Rilly?  I wonder which part he'll play? Less excitingly, I'd suspect the word "as" could be usefully inserted into that sentence.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Truculent cockney oik, or truculent Burnley grammar school boy ?