Author Topic: Where to volunteer in 2025?  (Read 2126 times)

Where to volunteer in 2025?
« on: 28 September, 2023, 11:05:20 am »
That's it. After a very enjoyable LEL 2022 volunteering I've signed up for duty for 2025. I now need advice about where to go. After St Ives in 2022 the plan as expressed by the family (who were convinced that I would be doing it in 2025 even before I was!) was that we should go north and rent a holiday cottage near the control, try to pick a control where the action (or at least my part in it) could be a bit more concentrated (over three days would be ideal) so that a family holiday could be had around it and above all so that they could keep a closer eye on my fatigue levels (Mme was not reassured after I fell off the bus changing buses on the way home on the friday morning - and she didn't even see it!).

So the question is which control would suit the new strategy? I am thinking Innerleithen. Not Brampton because the action is likely to be just about all week and it might be very difficult to do a more concentrated period. Further south might be more complicated, I haven't yet got my brain around which controls are only northbound or only southbound. I suppose this goes a bit in hand with the day 2/3 strategy post but from a slightly different perspective.

Any ideas on this? I am just a general dogsbody, no special skills.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Where to volunteer in 2025?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2023, 01:11:21 pm »
https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route
Single Visit controls - All in Scotland except Henham
Northbound Only - Harwick, Moffat
                            Edinburgh
Southbound Only - Innerleithin, Eskdalemuir, Henham

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2023, 02:01:09 pm »
I think Innerleithen/Tweed Valley would be an excellent choice of control to base a holiday around. There's lots of walking and cycling in the vicinity on a variety of surfaces, and Edinburgh and the East Lothian coast are short distances away if you want to do day trips.

Innerleithen will be at the 840km-ish mark, so at 12kmh/30kmh limits, riders will have 42 hour windows to pass through. Allowing for spread of start times, it should be 'active' for 55 hours or so. Of course, the controller will need volunteers before and after to set up/dismantle the control.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2023, 02:23:49 pm »
Richmond is a new location for 2025 so you can help to define its character and make it special: the town is charming, surrounded by beautiful countryside. We'll have a fair few of the former Barnard Castle team in attendance.
After a day of setting up (and hopefully our customary team curry) there will be a few riders through on Sunday night, we'll have an absolutely manic Monday and then a relatively quiet Tuesday whilst the riders are further north. There's no need to be present for the second half of the week - there are always volunteers who just do a day or two, and you can indicate which days you're available on the website.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2023, 07:32:15 pm »
Richmond is a new location for 2025 so you can help to define its character and make it special: the town is charming, surrounded by beautiful countryside. We'll have a fair few of the former Barnard Castle team in attendance.
After a day of setting up (and hopefully our customary team curry) there will be a few riders through on Sunday night, we'll have an absolutely manic Monday and then a relatively quiet Tuesday whilst the riders are further north. There's no need to be present for the second half of the week - there are always volunteers who just do a day or two, and you can indicate which days you're available on the website.

Googles Richmond Yorkshire! That sounds a bit like St Ives displaced by 24 hours or so. Not as far as Scotland but in terms of distance from Limoges that is not a major consideration. I will discuss this with the english, child encumbered, section over a pair of mouse's ears this w-e (in terms of distance for them that's quite a different story).

I do like the idea of Innerleithen though. I haven't been there for 40 years, might be interesting to see how much it has changed (might be depressing too of course; no fun getting old!)

« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:16:40 pm »
I've got to say that Richmond does sound appealing.
I'm certainly not doing a full week again, but a day or two might suit if it can be mixed with somewhere interesting to make a bit of a short break with Mrs M. Richmond might work.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

dod

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2023, 10:22:12 pm »
You are obviously very welcome to join the fun at Northstowe (like St Ives, only much much better), and since our schedule is pretty much two separate events you can choose just one of them if you like.

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2023, 08:46:24 am »
You are obviously very welcome to join the fun at Northstowe (like St Ives, only much much better), and since our schedule is pretty much two separate events you can choose just one of them if you like.
It's an interesting invitation, and one I'll bear in mind. We lived in Somersham for a few years after we got married, so revisiting old memories might be an interesting proposition.
It's a while away yet.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2023, 08:53:48 am »

It's a while away yet.

Yes but, as you can tell, volunteer recruitment has already started ;D
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2023, 09:15:10 am »

I would have no objections at all to joining you at Northstowe, after all the fun at St Ives. But you know me, I would find it difficult to do just the one direction. And the girls did say LEL 2025 would be a nice excuse for a holiday in the north, somewhere different (and Mme wants to keep a closer eye on me!).

Sorry to have missed seeing you at PBP George but I was only at Rambouillet a couple of hours (just long enough to take a few photos and make a nuisance of myself on the LEL stand before heading back south!)

« Reply #10 on: 29 September, 2023, 04:19:41 pm »

It's a while away yet.

Yes but, as you can tell, volunteer recruitment has already started ;D
Oh! Burger it - I've registered!
Henham and Northstowe - if I get allocated to Henham then Mrs Mike can go and natter with her sister for a day or two.
(I only want another tee shirt - I'm hoping for blue this time).

dod

« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2023, 11:03:13 pm »

[/quote]
Oh! Burger it - I've registered!
Henham and Northstowe - if I get allocated to Henham then Mrs Mike can go and natter with her sister for a day or two.
(I only want another tee shirt - I'm hoping for blue this time).
[/quote]

If you have the time then that's perfect for Northstowe on the northbound Sunday, then Henham for later in the week.

« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2023, 03:23:24 pm »
I volunteered at Innerleithen in 2017 and had a great time.  Accommodation was provided in static caravans nearby.  Lots of good options in the Scottish Borders for some family downtime afterwards.  Good prompt - I must put my name down for 2025.

« Reply #13 on: 15 October, 2023, 02:05:51 pm »
It would appear that the most likely place to find a holiday cottage (for probably 6 adults and 2 little ones) is not hopelessly distant from Eskdalemuir (from the researches of my daughter and her partner, who are experienced in this business). Can't remember what control options I put down when I registered but Eskdalemuir might have been amongst them. If not time to change before the event starts! The family plan means that I will be committed to this a lot sooner than some people I expect.

« Reply #14 on: 15 October, 2023, 05:26:21 pm »
You'll be most welcome at Eskdalmuir - I happen to be running that control.  One way, no sleeps for the riders (unless an emergency) and as you say, lovely area to holiday for a few days.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.