Author Topic: Adding dynamo setup to old model SMGT?  (Read 2919 times)

Adding dynamo setup to old model SMGT?
« on: 19 March, 2022, 02:00:52 pm »
Never owned a bike with dynamo power generation. Out of curiosity what would you add to a Streetmachine gt to get generation for touring. Not that bothered by lighting but looking at charging battery packs for devices, lights would be an extra bonus though.

What kit should I get? What would you recommend for that old bike? How much should a decent setup cost?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Adding dynamo setup to old model SMGT?
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2022, 02:19:30 pm »
If you're primarily interested in charging things, there's a lot to be said for re-engineering the dynamo to achieve more useful power levels than a lighting-oriented dynamo can provide at sub-audax speeds.  I think at this point that means https://pedalcell.com/

FWIW, I fitted my SMGT with a SON Deluxe (at the time, the only dyanmo hub designed for the higher speed of a small wheel, today there are excellent value alternatives from Shutter Precision) to power lighting, but routed the wiring via a female Tamiya connector on the lowrider rack for ease of connecting a charging device (originally I built my own, but then the B&M e-Werk came out):

Lessons for next time:

- Consider the Schmidt coaxial connector.
- But the principle of using a non-shorting-when-wet connector that can dry out easily for something that's going to spend 98% of its life disconnected is a sound one.
- Position the connector somewhere on the right hand side of the bike.  I fitted it on the left because there's less oily stuff there for cables to get entangled with, and as a BRITON I mount and dismount from the left, so originally the valuables and tech stuff lived in the front left pannier for ease of access.  But the flaw in this plan is that when the bike's on its stand, rain runs off the seat straight into the open pannier, so now food-related stuff goes on the left.

I fitted the light (Originally a Cyo R, now an IQ-X) to the lower bottle cage braze-on with a couple of penny washers, like so:

Mounting the light as far forward as possible reduces foot-flash.  The dedicated light braze-on on the underside of the boom was no use for the first generation of lights with asymmetrical reflectors, which couldn't be mounted upside-down.

Re: Adding dynamo setup to old model SMGT?
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2023, 12:54:12 pm »
Late to the party But,
I use a Sunup eco MaxiDyn DC6V12W on the rear wheel (20") of my Trice XL, Works very well.
Does lights and charges phone at around 15kph, slower if you just want charging or lights.

www.sunupeco.com

It is a spoke mount hub type generator so you don't have to get a new wheel, Front or Rear.
Much cheaper than SON, Shimano etc hub dynamo's.

Main/only downside is:
Doesn't work/fit on rear wheel with Disc brakes!

HTH