Author Topic: Getting started  (Read 10265 times)

Getting started
« on: 09 April, 2023, 11:10:45 am »
After many years riding conventional bikes I've just been told I almost certainly have early onset arthritis in my neck and possibly both shoulders.  Still waiting for a full diagnosis but right now riding more than an hour leaves me in severe pain and with tingling sensations in both hands.

Assuming there is no medical fix I have been looking into recumbents as a solution to keep riding and was wondering if anyone had the same sort of issues and found the a 'bent helped keep them the road?

Also, are there any recumbent dealers in the UK? I'm struggling to find any other than Laid Back Bikes in Edinburgh.

Finally, any suggestions on what bike to go for?  Aiming for general riding with Audax's and some light touring thrown in.  I've see the Pelso / Brevet which would be in budget and appeals as I could transplant brakes, wheels, crankset etc from my current bike but, I've no real idea if it's any good or not.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Re: Getting started
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2023, 01:53:59 pm »
Dtek near Cambridge is a good bet to try some out, or post your general area and see if there is someone local on here, bhpc or ctc forum, you might get a chance to give it a try.
You generally don’t buy the best bike for you on the first attempt, so buy second hand and expect that you will trade it in for your next bike.
Probably you want either the biggest wheeled bike you can get your foot down with, or you want a trike (which requires a garage or other front storage - tricky in a terraced house with no side passage!).  You will need a number of miles to judge whether you need suspension or whether it’s just an added weight to slow you down.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2023, 04:17:33 pm »
If you live in or near to North East England I have several recumbents that you could try out, including a Pelso brevet.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2023, 05:19:10 pm »
If you live in or near to North East England I have several recumbents that you could try out, including a Pelso brevet.
Dtek near Cambridge is a good bet to try some out, or post your general area and see if there is someone local on here, bhpc or ctc forum, you might get a chance to give it a try.
You generally don’t buy the best bike for you on the first attempt, so buy second hand and expect that you will trade it in for your next bike.
Probably you want either the biggest wheeled bike you can get your foot down with, or you want a trike (which requires a garage or other front storage - tricky in a terraced house with no side passage!).  You will need a number of miles to judge whether you need suspension or whether it’s just an added weight to slow you down.

Thanks both.  Sadly nowhere near either.  Nottinghamshire, but within easy distance of Sheffield and Lincoln.

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2023, 12:54:42 am »
Where’s your nearest bhpc race?

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2023, 09:58:06 am »
6 days ago I acquired my first recumbent bike a High Racer. Previously I had no experience of recumbents and was only aware that they existed. I saw one out on a ride on one of my fixed gear bikes a few weeks ago and decided after some pondering to investigate them further. I have seen them before, but after very rare brief encounters on  rides never considered them any further.

I researched them online as much as I could and after watching many youtube vids and reading many reviews I decided it was the High Racers I preferred the look of and in particular those made by Bacchetta. I did talk to Kevin at D-TEK he was very helpful and has many different types and models of recumbent bike and trike available, in the end though I was offered a Bacchetta High Racer by a seller in response to a wanted post I had placed in this forum. This was exactly what I had decided I wanted and fortunately it was only an hour away to collect.

These do take some practice to get the feel of and for the first few days just rode it locally until I felt competent enough to take it on a proper ride. On Saturday I did a 50 mile ride on it I'd intended to do only 40, but was enjoying the ride so much and not having any difficulties that it was easy to extend it.

The choice of recumbent I considered had to be a two wheeler,(I'm not drawn to trikes) I didn't want a Low Racer or Mid Racer as I wanted to sit higher to not only see, but to also be seen by other traffic more easily. I also wanted wheels of equal size back and front this to me just left the High Racers. In the end though what you chose may be dictated by your leg measurements, inseam and xseam. For me a High Racer with 26'' wheels is probably the most practical option as 700c wheels may be a bit too large for me with my 30'' inseam. As mentioned above if you do get the opportunity to try different bikes that would definitely be time well spent.

I too like the look of the Pelso Brevet and would consider one for the future, I think the 'S' shape frame allows a lower seat height over the 'Stick' frame design of the Bacchetta and similar. There are a number of reviews of the Pelso online, here's one.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=145368   

My reason, by the way for entering the what I'm now finding is the fascinating world of recumbents was just simple curiosity I fortunately have no health problems dictating the change.

Good luck with your quest!                   

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2023, 10:27:28 am »
ICE trikes are made in Cornwall.  I recently bought one due to neck and back pain on my upright and stiffness preventing me lifting my leg high enough to mount and dismount.  Very pleased with it.  I bough secondhand from Tom at Freetrike in Silverton, near Exeter.
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2023, 11:13:01 am »
It was neck problems which transitioned me to recumbents. I've found that I can't get on with tiller bars. Aerobars, aka. tweener bars, give more natural steering to my mind.  The best option for audax is probably large wheels because it's then easer to do without suspension but if you are of below average height then you have to look at small wheels with suspension, or the long wheelbase format which generally has more upright seating.

« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2023, 11:25:03 am »
My n=1 experience is that tiller is less natural to try out and aero bars are easier to learn - but once I got the idea I found tiller more comfortable (as long as I didn’t hit my knees with the handlebars).
For me my 2 wheeler had all the disadvantages of a trike with none of the advantages but ymmv (massively with laidbacks).

It’s not too tricky to swap from tiller to aero bars (and back).

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2023, 01:43:16 pm »
6 days ago I acquired my first recumbent bike a High Racer. Previously I had no experience of recumbents and was only aware that they existed. I saw one out on a ride on one of my fixed gear bikes a few weeks ago and decided after some pondering to investigate them further. I have seen them before, but after very rare brief encounters on  rides never considered them any further.

Thanks for the long reply.  A high racer is probably what I'm after, I'm 6"3 with long legs so getting feet down won't be a problem.  The Barchetta's look good as well but so far I've not found anywhere outside of the US that sells them.

Thats seems to be the biggest issue, finding anywhere that will actually sell me what I'm looking for!

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2023, 01:45:56 pm »
My n=1 experience is that tiller is less natural to try out and aero bars are easier to learn - but once I got the idea I found tiller more comfortable (as long as I didn’t hit my knees with the handlebars).
For me my 2 wheeler had all the disadvantages of a trike with none of the advantages but ymmv (massively with laidbacks).

It’s not too tricky to swap from tiller to aero bars (and back).

By aero bars I'm assuming you mean handle bars mouthed directly to the steerer rather than with a long angled extension?  From what I've read tiller steering seems to be very much a marmite thing and I'm looking at conventional (for a recumbent) bars atm.

« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2023, 02:09:10 pm »
I switched to recumbents for audax after  Shermer’s neck on a 2100km audax in 2016.

You can import the frame set if set on a new Bachetta from USA.  Framesets usually include all the recumbent specific parts, leaving you just to supply wheels, drive train etc.  But as advised you probably want something second hand to start, before deciding what you want.

I ride a Lightning P-38 for audax. This is my second recumbent, I imported the frame set. Not as aero as more reclined models, still better than your road bikes, but it’s relatively lightweight (12kg as built) agile and a good climber. No suspension, cantilevered mesh seat takes care of that. Longest audax so far, 1000km last Sept. Of course for ultimate aero I could buy the full fairing kit. Front wheel 406 and rear 622.  Rear clearance 32mm with mud guards, front will take 40mm, though currently running 32mm. Takes mudguards , has a perfect seat bag for audax you can buy , and two mountings for water bottle cages below seat.   Bar end shifters, which I use in friction mode. Dynamo light on mount on front derailleur

Photo from Double Dutch, Infinity 200km audax on Easter Sat.

You could also look at Performer recumbents which are good value and have both low and high racers as well as folding ones in their mix.

https://www.performercycles.com/

« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2023, 02:32:13 pm »

Thanks for the long reply.  A high racer is probably what I'm after, I'm 6"3 with long legs so getting feet down won't be a problem.  The Barchetta's look good as well but so far I've not found anywhere outside of the US that sells them.

Thats seems to be the biggest issue, finding anywhere that will actually sell me what I'm looking for!

Try Kevin at D-TEK email: minimoke88@gmail.com      Tel: 01353 648177  he may well have something you'll be interested in. There is also this currently on ebay, but may be a little small for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125869857637?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230105140155%26meid%3Df0ee6c6b7e0e47c4b2b541336dd72340%26pid%3D101666%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D125869857637%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2&_trksid=p2380057.c101666.m5481&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad2c6d38b-d7a3-11ed-85e7-16f606cd4ccb%7Cparentrq%3A6b5c23e31870ad33b367ee17fffc01b0%7Ciid%3A1

« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2023, 02:37:00 pm »
I'm looking at conventional (for a recumbent) bars atm.
“Conventional” made me laugh.  Aero bars (arms out straight) are/were more prominent in USAnia, you turn the handlebars so less different from diamond frame bikes; tiller is less intuitive but has a number of advantages (it becomes more comfortable once you’ve mastered it).  You can swap from one to the other though.

« Reply #15 on: 10 April, 2023, 04:35:55 pm »
There's an interview with the founder of Velomotion here.

https://www.recumbent.news/2021/10/28/velomotion-stick-bikes-from-serbia/

« Reply #16 on: 10 April, 2023, 06:14:54 pm »
I met a Velomotion Scopa rider by chance a few months back whilst out in the countryside. He seemed happy with his purchase. The advertised 20 to 25 degree seat amgle is rather extreme for a beginner. Suggest you check whether or not the seat can be adjusted to more upright angles.

« Reply #17 on: 10 April, 2023, 07:05:38 pm »
No such thing as conventional when it comes to recumbents. The UCI rule book has been thrown away  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2023, 07:39:15 pm »
I'm looking at conventional (for a recumbent) bars atm.
“Conventional” made me laugh.  Aero bars (arms out straight) are/were more prominent in USAnia, you turn the handlebars so less different from diamond frame bikes; tiller is less intuitive but has a number of advantages (it becomes more comfortable once you’ve mastered it).  You can swap from one to the other though.

Under-seat steering is likely to be the best from an arm/shoulder perspective though.  It's a bit less intuitive at first (on a bicycle), but a more neutral arm/wrist position.  It's also the least aerodynamic option, which is why you tend to see it on the more touring rather than performance oriented machines.  (Which to put things in perspective will still compare favourably to a typical upright in terms of aerodynamic drag, but tend to be a fair bit heavier.)

The disadvantages to USS are a limited amount of space to mount gadgets (mirrors, computers, etc), and that delicate things like shifters tend to take the brunt of the impact if the bike falls over (again, not a problem on trikes).  On the other hand, it can make mounting and dismounting a bit simpler.

« Reply #19 on: 10 April, 2023, 08:35:53 pm »

Try Kevin at D-TEK email: minimoke88@gmail.com      Tel: 01353 648177  he may well have something you'll be interested in. There is also this currently on ebay, but may be a little small for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125869857637?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230105140155%26meid%3Df0ee6c6b7e0e47c4b2b541336dd72340%26pid%3D101666%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D125869857637%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2&_trksid=p2380057.c101666.m5481&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad2c6d38b-d7a3-11ed-85e7-16f606cd4ccb%7Cparentrq%3A6b5c23e31870ad33b367ee17fffc01b0%7Ciid%3A1

Saw that one, and yeah, probably too small.  D-Tek are on the list for a call tomorrow.

Came across this on Ebay as well, anyone know anything about them?  Velomotion Scopa?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122994988975?hash=item1ca31297af:g:UCUAAOSwk-damB4V&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwCwDsaaYIauubQh9auoD5uKWEFTYrNrvbgNPEwBJvrilTmfzlu%2BmZWfJBJAW5ylD1rqGnX792yfQAU8gHmauRDluHIAhIeb9oQs94%2BaUEKUnyd2oXYZYnFuoc1e8NoOdJFzqE%2FY%2BuDhmxMzGXkVhEzQaRuTpLJFaeJVo1CUs2ft%2Be6YT1bu%2F7oTqs5d6LX0pts884zb7uGTrLAczRI5un%2F%2FJXpBuFbDGvVnlWdpYZrS5Q5IHfcg25wkhlODrJvcW%2FQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_qn1rztYQ

Scopa is a lightweight and versatile bike, there's an option on eBay to buy just the frameset and recumbent specific parts (or at least there was when I got one).  I found the seat angle a bit low however easy enough to make it a bit more upright by adding a spacer between the upper seat bracket and the seat.  And a wide range of options for the wheels, including clearance for wider tyres.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #20 on: 10 April, 2023, 11:34:41 pm »
Where's ElyDave at? He and me are in a minority even here with front wheel drive and the whole DF rear triangle is now a swinging edifice out in front of you along with your feet. Cruzbike S40 for both of us, highracer, mudguards, and audax for him. Drop handlebars make a more relaxed position, but not as much as USS.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #21 on: 11 April, 2023, 05:38:23 pm »
Coz a cruzbike is an easy entry level laidback, readily available at an affordable price?

« Reply #22 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:15:36 pm »
Where's ElyDave at? He and me are in a minority even here with front wheel drive and the whole DF rear triangle is now a swinging edifice out in front of you along with your feet. Cruzbike S40 for both of us, highracer, mudguards, and audax for him. Drop handlebars make a more relaxed position, but not as much as USS.

Looked at those very briefly.  Utterly mad.

Speaking of mad.  Trying to find flat bar brake levers and shifters that will work with the bits from the proposed doner bike is driving me potty.  I though road group sets were bad but trying to find combo's of flat bar / MTB levers and shifters that will work together is mind boggling.

11 spd shimano with mechanical discs.  Deore MT M8000 rear mech (it's got silly gearing) and Ultegra front mech.  Anyone got any suggestions on what will work?  Getting confused trying to find non-hydraulic brae levers along with I-Spec 1, II, A and B shifters, or am I going to have to ditch the rear mech and start again?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:47:22 pm »
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1765329#p1765329

Nazca Fuego for sale on CTC forum, size large. in Lancashire.

« Reply #24 on: 12 April, 2023, 07:46:02 am »

Looked at those very briefly.  Utterly mad.

Speaking of mad.  Trying to find flat bar brake levers and shifters that will work with the bits from the proposed doner bike is driving me potty.  I though road group sets were bad but trying to find combo's of flat bar / MTB levers and shifters that will work together is mind boggling.

11 spd shimano with mechanical discs.  Deore MT M8000 rear mech (it's got silly gearing) and Ultegra front mech.  Anyone got any suggestions on what will work?  Getting confused trying to find non-hydraulic brae levers along with I-Spec 1, II, A and B shifters, or am I going to have to ditch the rear mech and start again?

If I was building one up in 11 speed I'd use Sram 11 speed grip shifters with Sram front and rear derailleurs and Spyre cable disc brakes for which there are loads of levers available none of it complicated. I've got Sram 9 speed on my Bacchetta it uses Sram X9 grip shifters and Avid cable discs. I'd not really used grip shifting before, but these work flawlessly I prefer them to trigger shifters which I have used a lot.