Author Topic: Fastest audax type 559 tubed clincher tyre?  (Read 2488 times)

Fastest audax type 559 tubed clincher tyre?
« on: 21 August, 2023, 03:08:13 pm »
I'm considering rear 559 tyres for the Nazca Paseo and P-38. Up to now I've gone with Pasela PT folding tyres which get a good score on Bicycle RR website when tested in 700c format. Good tyres for 559 rims are thin on the ground. Schwalbe and Conti appear to have stopped developing for 559 rims. Conti still have the GP in 28mm width but not available with 32mm width. Likewise their Gatorskin. Annoyingly the Contact Urban minimun width is 47mm. Schwalbe have no current offerings in 559 from their Race range.

I'm wondering if I can squeeze a 700c wheel into the rear of the Nazca. It would probably fit, but no mudguard.

Re: Fastest audax type 559 tubed clincher tyre?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2023, 04:19:06 pm »
IMO the fastest 559 tyre is the Conti GP but as you say, it’s only available in 28mm width (and actually comes up a bit narrower than that on my rims). I’ve also found 559x40 Vittoria Rubino Pro’s to roll well but it sounds like that’s too big for you and they’re also no longer made :( The Conti Sport Contact is available in 32mm width I think but, from my experience with the 700c version, is a bit sluggish.

Could you substitute a 650b wheel instead of 700c? There a few fast tyres in that size including the Conti GP5000.

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2023, 04:51:04 pm »
IMO the fastest 559 tyre is the Conti GP but as you say, it’s only available in 28mm width (and actually comes up a bit narrower than that on my rims). I’ve also found 559x40 Vittoria Rubino Pro’s to roll well but it sounds like that’s too big for you and they’re also no longer made :( The Conti Sport Contact is available in 32mm width I think but, from my experience with the 700c version, is a bit sluggish.

Could you substitute a 650b wheel instead of 700c? There a few fast tyres in that size including the Conti GP5000.
Yes a 650b wheel with a 28mm tyre would fit, even with room for the current mudguard. So that is probably the best option. Thanks for the suggestion. Having a new wheel built, fitting a disc rotor and caliper and getting a GP5000 would cost a fair amount so I think I'll ride it for a bit with the Pasela on the rear and a faster tyre on the front before deciding.

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2023, 05:02:46 pm »
Yes it all costs unfortunately:(

I think the 650b GP5000 is available in 32mm width if you do decide to go down that avenue.

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2023, 05:14:12 pm »
Yes it all costs unfortunately:(

I think the 650b GP5000 is available in 32mm width if you do decide to go down that avenue.
32mm not available in 650b according to the distributor, https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/road-and-track/clinchers/grand-prix-5000  :(

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2023, 05:43:50 pm »

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:07:20 am »
Looking at 650b options, Schwalbe have a 30-584 G-One Speed but it's only a performance line Raceguard tyre so probably similar to a Durano. I don't trust Schwalbe Addix labelling, it seems to cover a whole range of compounds.

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2023, 06:12:43 pm »
Looking at 650b options, Schwalbe have a 30-584 G-One Speed but it's only a performance line Raceguard tyre so probably similar to a Durano. I don't trust Schwalbe Addix labelling, it seems to cover a whole range of compounds.

Being a fanatic (well not quite) luddite I would propose the tyre of the Confrérie du 650B made by Hutchinson. It is available on the open market and is nominally a 32mm, although on the large side of 32 (I think it was designed with thin sidewalls to get an air volume as close to a 35 as possible). I am not sure if it's any faster than the 38mm Pari-Moto's that I got off the classifieds on here but since in my case speed equates with comfort that is not a reference. I can measure one on either a 19mm or a 21mm rim - I think they come up much the same.
 https://www.cycletyres.fr/collections/pneus-route-longue-distance?filter.p.vendor=Hutchinson&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&filter.v.m.tyre.etrto=32-584
I am sure this vendor is international, I think they're owned by one of the bigger bike e-marketing outfits.
As seen at LEL last year
Of course this might be not quick enough for what you want but worth a look.

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2023, 12:00:08 pm »
Being a fanatic (well not quite) luddite I would propose the tyre of the Confrérie du 650B made by Hutchinson. It is available on the open market and is nominally a 32mm, although on the large side of 32 (I think it was designed with thin sidewalls to get an air volume as close to a 35 as possible). I am not sure if it's any faster than the 38mm Pari-Moto's that I got off the classifieds on here but since in my case speed equates with comfort that is not a reference. I can measure one on either a 19mm or a 21mm rim - I think they come up much the same.
 https://www.cycletyres.fr/collections/pneus-route-longue-distance?filter.p.vendor=Hutchinson&filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&filter.v.m.tyre.etrto=32-584
I am sure this vendor is international, I think they're owned by one of the bigger bike e-marketing outfits.
Nice width and 127 tpi each layer so should be comfortable. No mention of a puncture protectuon layer of any kind.

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2023, 03:16:01 pm »
Nice width and 127 tpi each layer so should be comfortable. No mention of a puncture protectuon layer of any kind.

I would be surprised if there is any puncture protection (and most of the other french luddites use latex tubes as well). I don't have a history of F visitations so I have never noticed the need and others pride themselves in their tube changing (or gluing) abilities. They stay on rims pretty well but I can also remove them when inspired without using levers!

« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2023, 03:54:49 pm »
Why not stick with 622 on your P38?

« Reply #11 on: 25 August, 2023, 08:37:02 am »
Why not stick with 622 on your P38?
On the P-38 the seat  is too high for me with the 700c rear wheel. I'm a lot more confident with the 559 rim. I'm currently running a 32-559 folding Pasela PT on it which is a pretty good tyre. The front has a 38-406 folding Maxxis DTH on it, but I have a 32-406 Contact Urban on order.

I was actually thinking more about the rear wheel of my Nazca Paseo which I am enjoying again now I have a new hardshell seat on it which suits me better. Since it has suspension a 28-559 Grand Prix is a possibility, but a GP5000 would be better were one available in 559. I'm a big fan of Vectran puncture protection.

« Reply #12 on: 27 August, 2023, 04:29:17 pm »
FWIW, I dug out the 28-559 folding Durano and removed the old Pasela which was coming apart on the sidewall from a Mavic Crossride 17c rim. The Pasela felt so much softer in my hand than the Durano. I hesitated to put the Durano on so looked up the weight whilst pondering. One website said 260g for the folding version. Weighed a new Pasela  -260g, Mounted the Pasela and measured the width as 28 or maybe 29mm. So that helps explain the lack of difference in weight between it and the Durano.

« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2023, 12:53:23 pm »
Any joy in actually sourcing a 28 559 tubed tyre?  Preferably folding.

« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2023, 07:51:07 pm »
Any joy in actually sourcing a 28 559 tubed tyre?  Preferably folding.
Try Fawkes  Cycles. They were listing 28-559 folding Conti Grand Prix when I looked.