Author Topic: Recumbent trike battery mount.  (Read 1136 times)

Recumbent trike battery mount.
« on: 26 September, 2023, 01:32:01 pm »
I'm just starting the process of converting my TWBents recumbent trike to electric power.

Currently pondering how to mount the battery as low down as possible.

Now I know that T Trikes have a mounting kit, but I'm reluctant to pay almost £150 for something that I can possibly fabricate myself.

I've done all the Google searches, but all I can find are mounting kits for T Trike and Ice Trikes.

What I could really do with is finding others who have made their own mounting brackets and hopefully look at pictures to give me some inspiration.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Re: Recumbent trike battery mount.
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2023, 06:45:44 pm »
Why as low as possible, I have a rear rack with a 17ah battery and to be honest I don't even know it is there, plus it's handy if you want to strap anything on at a later date

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2023, 06:51:54 pm »
I've seen batteries mounted to the back of a mesh seat, which would seem eminently fabricobble-able, and decent enough weight-distribution wise.  P-clips and a bit of sheet metal, with appropriate drillings for the battery bracket, or something.

Natalya's ~12.5kg battery[1] on the rear rack (I molished it into an off-the-shelf quick-release rigid rack box from Rixen & Kaul or similar) has a significant adverse effect on handling, but it's acceptable as she rarely rides faster than about 20mph.  Better rear-wheel traction is a useful side-effect.  More significantly, it means you can't use the rack for other luggage.

[1] 820Wh of LiFePO4, which made sense at the time.

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2023, 08:48:55 am »
Thanks for the replies, particularly yours Kim.

Following your suggestion, I've created a battery platform suspended from the underside of the seat. I'm considering adding a further bracing strut from the main frame as the 48v 20ah battery seems VERY heavy.

Just awaiting delivery of the motor now.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.