Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24 hr tt 2014  (Read 9551 times)

Re: Mersey Roads 24 hr tt 2014
« Reply #25 on: 01 July, 2014, 11:00:52 pm »
Hmm, probably best to get this thread back on track or we will be putting people off! 

Not at all, you can never have enough information  ;D   

What do you all eat over the course of the race?  I plan on having bananas, ham sandwiches, fruit jellies, Cliif bars or something similar, rice pudding, gels for the last few hours when eating will just be too much of a faff and some sort of pasta based thingy if I feel like a proper meal. I'd like to have more savoury stuff on the menu so any suggestions will be taken on board.  I expect to feel sick as a small hospital by the time I'm done.  For drinks I'll alternate water and accelerade.

« Reply #26 on: 02 July, 2014, 12:40:33 pm »
There are no rules on what to eat: it really depends what you like and can best tolerate.  Everybody is different on that score. 
It's generally best to stick to the things that have worked for you on long rides in the past.  A 24 is not the time to be experimenting with new recipes!

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #27 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »
I expect to feel sick as a small hospital by the time I'm done.
;D

I suspect I'll be eating a lot of jam sandwiches (slice of white bread spread with jam and rolled up, maximising the jam to bread ratio) as well as more savoury offerings (cheese spread, Marmite etc). Basically I'll be wanting stuff that's quick and easy to eat. I'll also (hopefully) be having quite a few Mars Thickshakes.

As for drinks, well I don't much like plain water so I'll be taking on squash (none of that sugar free crap please) plus my audax favourite of coke and orange juice. I'll probably go for another mix - lemonade/orange juice/tonic water as the tonic water has a pleasingly bitter edge which cuts through the sweetness and makes it very drinkable.
Powered by Minions

« Reply #28 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:41:52 pm »
Muller rice. Perhaps a bacon bap as a reward if I'm going well at 12hrs.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #29 on: 02 July, 2014, 01:53:34 pm »
FWIW, I had trouble swallowing sandwiches - the bread just congealed into a dry lump in my mouth.  Yuk
I found pasta salads much easier to eat.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #30 on: 02 July, 2014, 02:35:19 pm »
Make sure you practice with any cereal bars beforehand. Opening them with your teeth can be a hassle. The consistency is important, we got Frosties bars handed up one year, the worst thing I've ever tried to eat on a bike, you'll be breathing hard enough to choke on anything brittle. I used to like Nutri-Grain bars, but over-reliance on them means I don't like them any more. I went off bananas as well, I coined the word amnausea for packing foods that you suddenly remember you don't like enough to eat on the hour, every hour for a whole day.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #31 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »
The opening thing is a good point.

I am not very good at riding no handed (used to be as a kid!).

So each time I filled my little top bar bag, I made sure I opened each of the bars etc. as I put them in.

If you are supported, then obvious you could get opened bars handed up for refilling pockets etc.

Do not try it with gels! ;).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 02 July, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »
And yes to rice pudding. By the latter parts, your mouth will be sore and it is easy and soothing to eat.

And yummy.

And pretty good fuel.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

rob

« Reply #33 on: 02 July, 2014, 05:52:53 pm »
I filled my top-bag with gels and snacks.    I did put some mini flapjacks in but they were quite greasy and that coated th gel sachets.   I dropped at least one as it was a bit slippery.

I carried sandwiches, bars and some mini-soreen loaves.    I couldn't eat the soreen loaves and sandwiches after the first 4-6hrs and switched to rice-pussing but then had to stop longer to fuel.

« Reply #34 on: 02 July, 2014, 06:23:05 pm »
switched to rice-pussing.

There can be some unwanted side-effects from 24s. This sounds like a very creative use of Ambrosia to fill that gap.

« Reply #35 on: 03 July, 2014, 08:17:57 am »
The starting order has just gone up on Facebook.

Jill W is having another shot after things not working out for her in Sussex.  She could be a strong contender for outright winner.  Otherwise Greg Woodford has done over 460 before (and rode the Sussex one last month but I don't know what he did in it) and Chris Hopkinson has just come back from RAAM, so should have some miles in his legs.

1 George Berwick Edinburgh RC
1 Phillip Jurczyk West Lothian Clarion
2 Stewart Cox RNRMCA
2 Bob Richards RNRMCA

4 Charles Kitson Wansbeck CC
5 Michael Wallis Derby Mercury RC
6 Joe Applegarth Houghton CC
7 Dave Stokes Musselburgh Roads CC Trike
8 Graeme Wyllie Edinburgh RC
9 Geraint Catherall Anfield BC
10 David R Parkes Coventry RC
11 John Hassall Bossard Wheelers
12 Russell Pindar Beeston CC
13 Bob Watts San Fairy Ann CC
14 Jenny Bonham API-Metrow
15 Roger Squire Wrexham RC
16 Rob Simmonds Exeter Whs CC
17 Jim Hopper Derby Mercury RC Trike
18 Frazer Herald Liverpool Century RC
19 Mike Wigley Saddleworth Clarion
20 Ray Retter North Devon Wheelers
21 Ian Crosby Amersham Road CC
22 Angus Welsh Angus Bike Chain
23 Steve Ralphs Loughborough Phoenix CC
24 Sandra Deery Bottecchia Racing Club W
25 Graeme Walsh Stirling Bike Club
26 Ian Lea Exeter Whs CC
27 Frank Proud Westerley CC
28 Andrew Preston CC Weymouth
29 Edgar Reynolds Congleton CC
30 Steven Abraham North Bucks RC
31 David Bayley Audax Ireland
32 Fred Newton Wessex Road Club
33 Steve Davies Addicombe CC
34 Kenny Cliffe Hinckley CRC
35 Jill Wilkinson Chester RC W
36 Ian Hawkins Fibrax-Wrexham RC
37 Mark Nicholson Border City Whs CC
38 John Appleby API-Metrow
39 Nigel Holl Stirling Bike Club
40 Dave Fearon Weaver Valley CC
41 David Dudley Rhos-on-Sea CC
42 Pete Vance Renegade Racing
43 Robert Whittall Chester RC
44 Neil Ridsdale Bridlington CC
45 John Forbes Birkenhead North End CC
46 Richard Birkin Nottingham Clarion
47 Matt Simmons Andover Whs
48 Phil Nelson Hemel Hempstead CC
49 Matthew Armitt Southport CC
50 Gregory Woodford Reading CC
51 Mark Leadbetter Stirling Bike Club
52 Richard Walker VTTA (North Midlands)
53 Euan Ritchie Angus Bike Chain
54 Matt Smith Leek Cyclists Club
55 John Payne Leigh Premier RC
56 Ian Hennessey Exeter Whs CC
57 Graham Jones Edinburgh RC
58 Paul McGowan Warrington Road Club
59 Laurence Hewetson BADtri
60 Chris Hopkinson API-Metrow

rob

« Reply #36 on: 03 July, 2014, 08:31:33 am »
(and rode the Sussex one last month but I don't know what he did in it)

Neither does anyone else.   No results out yet.

« Reply #37 on: 03 July, 2014, 10:56:24 am »
Is that Andy Wilkinsons wife I see at No.35?

Could be interesting!

« Reply #38 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:09:08 am »
Amnausea      :D
Rice pussing   :D
Not on the start list  :'(  but probably just as well after lack of riding.
Frank, thanks for the list.
Good luck all!

Bairn Again

« Reply #39 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:39:33 pm »
yes, an early start time 13.08

Will set my sights on dave stokes then the old pair on the tandem.  !

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #40 on: 04 July, 2014, 06:49:42 am »
yes, an early start time 13.08

Will set my sights on dave stokes then the old pair on the tandem.  !

Look out behind you for our Gus - he's flying!

Have a good one , - sorry not to be able to join the fun this year.  :(
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #41 on: 13 July, 2014, 06:13:39 am »
The starting order has just gone up on Facebook ...

... and on the CTT website.  What does the figure in column N2 signify?  I have a suspicion it's age, so I'm wondering what I put on the entry form as it's 40 years out for me.

« Reply #42 on: 13 July, 2014, 05:54:53 pm »
Hi folks, it's Mr Dees here. I'll be support crew, chef, masseuse, bike mechanic, clothing distributor, encouragement and profanity shouter etc next week for my better half at the Mersey 24.

I have a copy of the maps from last year and I'm just wondering where the best places are to park up to provide support. I don't intend to leapfrog as support and think parking up would be better. What do other peoples support crews do? How do the crews know when their rider has moved onto the next loop?

How cranky is she likely to get, on a scale of "a bit quiet" to " you can swim home beside the ferry" ?  :)  :)

Thanks in advance. Is there anyone else staying at the Ramada in Wrexham before the race and more importantly is there a bit of a gathering in a local hostelry on the Sunday night after a few hours rest?

P

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #43 on: 13 July, 2014, 11:58:29 pm »
Hi folks, it's Mr Dees here. I'll be support crew, chef, masseuse, bike mechanic, clothing distributor, encouragement and profanity shouter etc next week for my better half at the Mersey 24.

I have a copy of the maps from last year and I'm just wondering where the best places are to park up to provide support. I don't intend to leapfrog as support and think parking up would be better. What do other peoples support crews do? How do the crews know when their rider has moved onto the next loop?

How cranky is she likely to get, on a scale of "a bit quiet" to " you can swim home beside the ferry" ?  :)  :)

Thanks in advance. Is there anyone else staying at the Ramada in Wrexham before the race and more importantly is there a bit of a gathering in a local hostelry on the Sunday night after a few hours rest?

P
Same question here. There's a good support crew looking after me and a couple more friends but I'm struggling to know what to tell them re: positioning. I'm hoping to pick the big brain of Mr Ian H, but any other tips or advice will be gratefully received.