Author Topic: Gospel Pass 200 3AAA/Hoarwithy 100 - 23 May 2010  (Read 6613 times)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
Gospel Pass 200 3AAA/Hoarwithy 100 - 23 May 2010
« on: 08 April, 2010, 09:03:28 pm »
May sees some big rides, with Wales offering a Lion’s share.  A short (200km) event that I have slipped in and new to the Calendar on 23 May is a Gospel Pass 200, 3AAA, Silver Grimpeur, starting from Apperley, just East of a R Severn crossing.

Anyone thinking of riding can now use the Start/Finish Control as pre-event overnight accommodation (floor space and breakfast)(for a small fee).  This can save booking local hotels and travelling to the start in the early morning and may be of use to those with awkward (train?) journeys. Apperley is within 10 miles of the M5 from J9 Southbound or J11 Northbound and 3 miles off the A38.

I know I am biased but it is a super route, based on but more climbing than my Perm; just email me for a preview of the routesheet!  Also, there is a great little 100km on offer, which offers the best views over the R Wye from Yat Rock.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
Re: Gospel Pass 200 3AAA/Hoarwithy 100 - 23 May 2010
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »
I'm hoping to do the Hoarwithy 100 - I'll send you a form soon!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:39:23 pm »
This is going to be my initiation into that venerable ritual of sleeping in the village hall.  Given my general lightness-of-sleeperdom, I think I may be more nervous about that bit than about riding up the hills  :-\.

Any recommendations for where to get a pint or two and/or a bite to eat in Apperley the night before?

The ride itself is looking fantastic  :thumbsup:
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2010, 10:53:44 pm »
This is going to be my initiation into that venerable ritual of sleeping in the village hall. 

Tesco sells cheap ear plugs.  You know it makes sense - you don't want to have your first sleepless night in a village hall  ;)

I suspect snoring noises will emanate from my berth, given I'll have enjoyed the delights of the Cotswold Corker on the Saturday and a couple of beers in the evening.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2010, 12:08:36 am »
I suspect snoring noises will emanate from my berth, given I'll have enjoyed the delights of the Cotswold Corker on the Saturday and a couple of beers in the evening.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great to hear.  There are 2 restaurants/pubs at Haw Bridge a few Km from start (see routesheet).  Also The Swan at Coombe Hill (A38). F&C in Tewkesbury.

About the snoring!!!!  Have you booked in with the Organiser, 'cos if you haven't, you might miss breakfast.  Arrive after 2000hrs and the Hall will be open.

Anyone fancying a ride and seeing the decent weather approaching?  Just email and we can sort a late entry or, exceptionally, an EOL.  It will help me with the Start list and Brevet Cards.  Perhaps more useful - I can forewarn the Pubs providing the lunch meal.

SteveP

SteveP

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2010, 09:05:52 am »
Any recommendations for where to get a pint or two and/or a bite to eat in Apperley the night before?

Wuss - Lap-dance club, party hardy all night, bacon butty in the layby @ 07:59, ride. Honestly, the youth of today... ;D

See you there.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2010, 11:29:53 am »
Anyone fancying a ride and seeing the decent weather approaching?  Just email and we can sort a late entry or, exceptionally, an EOL.  It will help me with the Start list and Brevet Cards.  Perhaps more useful - I can forewarn the Pubs providing the lunch meal.

SteveP

Hi Steve

I'm a late entry for the 100k... completely forgot to send you my form. Sorry!
If I email you my details can I put stuff in the post to you today/tomorrow or would you rather I just pay and enter on the day?

Francis

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »
Thanks Stroudie

Just let me know by email (seen).  Pl as much admin before the day as pos. Just avoids too much hastle before the ride.  RSs (appetizer?) to anyone by return email.

SteveP
SteveP

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2010, 11:42:57 pm »
Can anyone suggest a suitable place to park in Bishops Cleeve?  I am doing the Cotswold Corker perm the day before the GP200 but can't find any info online on where to leave my car for 6 hours or so.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2010, 01:36:09 pm »
Tesco (S/F ATM) car park in centre though you are not lkely to be shopping for 6hrs; I think thay have a day parking fee!  At the back of there the Library and local roads housing estates are close to the Village Centre.

You could always start somewhere else, Bisley/Northleach, much quieter? Even
Cirencester though 3-4mile penalty.

Save some legs for Sunday!

SteveP
SteveP

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #10 on: 21 May, 2010, 03:13:05 pm »
Ah yes but it wouldn't be quite the same without Bushcombe Lane right at the start!

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #11 on: 21 May, 2010, 03:46:57 pm »
Ah yes but it wouldn't be quite the same without Bushcombe Lane right at the start!

Pushcombe Lane for many.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2010, 11:22:12 pm »
Any yacfers do the Gospel Pass one? Our club ride went up from the Hay side today, saw a few audaxers coming down the other way. Including a couple on fixed.

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:54:05 am »
Any yacfers do the Gospel Pass one? Our club ride went up from the Hay side today, saw a few audaxers coming down the other way. Including a couple on fixed.
I was there (in my red and white Reading CTC shirt).  Dasmoth also, in black yACF shirt and U.N.Dulates and Frere Yacker both in traditional AUK shirts (a little behind me, ahead of the two fixies). Iddu was there in his Rocky Mountains shirt, probably a bit further back.  Maybe others.  And The Things were up on Hay Bluff with their tandem, though not on the audax.  I saw a couple of chaps steaming up to the Bluff, but didn't look like a club ride.  The two fixies were a bit behind me, so perhaps I was down before you went up.  Saw some Ross CC riders in a group near Grosmont earlier.

Great ride - fantastic views.  Thanks to Steve for organising this.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2010, 09:35:57 am »
Agreed, that's a lovely route.

Riding yesterday was pushing the upper limits of my heat-tolerance (I'm a cold-climate moth...), and fear I may have looked pretty-much out of it by the end!  But had a great day, thanks Steve.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2010, 10:33:35 am »

Partly :(

One of the very few DNF's suffered.

Rode over Sat, slept in hall, 10Km in started shivering/boiling, so went back. Mooched around hall, went to Hoarwithy (100 control) with M. Blacksheep to take piccies, and felt much better after severely tossing my cookies. Gradually recovered through PM, then went to Gloucester and trained home...

Pity, as it was a stunning day otherwise, but you learn to heed the signs.

Definitely on the list to do on a free day.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2010, 02:07:30 pm »
I had a lovely day out in familiar territories thanks to 3peaker's 100k ride.  Great route, thanks Steve.

In present company on this forum, surrounded by people who do silly things like ride across Wales twice in a weekend, I'd like to say a very humble hurrah to myself as this was my first completed audax ride, over 3 years since I last attempted one.  I was pretty confident I would do it, but the heat made it quite hard going towards the end.  I really enjoyed it.

I rode some of the way with three of my friends from Stroud Valleys CC, and rode most of the last leg with Robert and Norman from Cheltenham CTC, and also rode a bit with the Tamworth Three - Fungus and Datameister of this parish and Linda (is she on here?).

Best bit for me was climbing Plump Hill out of Mitcheldean which was just shallow enough for me to spin up on my 67" fixed without honking, very satisfying.  I didn't think I'd make it over Marcle Ridge either, but I did. Gradually getting stronger (and a bit lighter too!)  :thumbsup:

Now, when shall I do my next 100k?
And when will I try a 200?

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

1. Next weekend
2. Weekend after

Indeed Clive from Tamworth, sweltering like a good ol' fat bloke in the sunshine, but thankful he hasn't got a fixed wheel bike (yet?)

Great route, already being talked about on next year's 'to do' list.......must upgrade AUK membership to include Mrs D

francisbarton

• Francis
« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »

1. Next weekend
2. Weekend after

Indeed Clive from Tamworth, sweltering like a good ol' fat bloke in the sunshine, but thankful he hasn't got a fixed wheel bike (yet?)

Great route, already being talked about on next year's 'to do' list.......must upgrade AUK membership to include Mrs D

;D

You have to try riding fixed one day Clive, it's fun, honest! Even if it didn't look like it yesterday.

One other thing I just remembered is Louise Rigby at the arrivee looking as fresh as a daisy, as if she'd just had a stroll round the village rather than done 100k of riding. Wow  :thumbsup: ???

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #19 on: 24 May, 2010, 04:50:39 pm »
One other thing I just remembered is Louise Rigby at the arrivee looking as fresh as a daisy, as if she'd just had a stroll round the village rather than done 100k of riding. Wow  :thumbsup: ???

She was just the same on BCM. Even had the cheek to call in at the pub for a pint on the home stretch to Chepstow. Some people just don't appear to suffer anywhere near enough to be properly enjoying themselves  ;D ;)

We really enjoyed spotting audaxers on Gospel pass.
T1: "Carradice!"
T2: "Route sheet holders!"
T1: "Looks like an Audaxer!"
T2: "Reading CTC top. Looks like Phil D!"
T1: "Sandals - check. It must be Phil D!"
<Frantic jumping on bike and pedaling to catch him>

Minutes later we arrived in Hay, and it felt very strange not to be looking for the cafe to control in.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #20 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »
I arrive home at just before 10pm, feeling slightly out of sorts due to sun prickled skin and the unsettled feeling that only a hastily scoffed service station KFC can provide.  The KFC felt like a good idea at the time.  A quick sugar, salt, fat and protein fix intended to replenish the fuel tanks for the remaining hour or so to be spent on the Motorway.  This was in addition to the sandwiches and tea that provided an immediate patch to tide me over at the finish in Apperley, where I was welcomed by the organiser, his helpers and the rather sun flushed faces of other riders.  U.N.Dulates was kind enough to point out that I'll have to go out and do a similar ride 4 times before I get to the finish of the Mille Cymru.  A sobering thought.  But if the views are as good as yesterday, I'll have no complaints and will be eager to hit the road again.

The journey to the finish control was a straightforward affair after Hoarwithy.  Gradually undulating landscape that felt rather relaxed after the exertions of the afternoon, the hills being well trailed by looming on the horizon and then passing under wheel.  It also helped that by that stage, Apollo had started to plummet towards the horizon and withdrew some of the infernal heat that had made much of the day a battle of mind over body.  The sensation of cooling temperature took hold on chatting with the friendly controllers at Hoarwithy - although that maybe had something to do with my decision to soak my cap in cool water and plonk it on my head.  Ah, evaporation, your chill effects were my friend!

I really needed that dunking as, unexpectedly, the penultimate stage from Pandy to Hoarwithy turned out to be the most challening.  Not only was the temperature something to be endured rather than enjoyed, necessitating some stops in shade to take on fluids and to cool down, but a series of hills that whilst not particularly long were either thigh burningly steep (out of Pandy or about 10km after Grosmont) or came out of the blue.  On another day I might have said unrelenting, but as I finished the ride in reasonably good shape I can best describe them as in abundance.

The climb out of Pandy was done on a stomach that had been sated with pasta with sauce with a garnish that is best described as desicated chicken gently reheated to the consistency of rubber.  And a half of bitter.  The latter was a grand recovery tonic for the blistering heat that the Hay-Pandy stage was done.  UNDulates was witness to my reaction to the temperature when he cycled past me recuperating against a wall with a can of Lilt just before the climb away from Hay.  His words were something like "I know how you feel" - what he didn't realise was that I was pretend recuperating having overheard him outside the Spar in Hay saying that the climb out of Hay was a beast.  As this man knows hills, I took this as a forewarning of pain and suffering.  His oracular skills were proved right and the climb in question was probably the single most challening one of the day (not helped by the extraordinary tar bubble forming heat, which I'm sure I've mentioned elsewhere in this report).

At the Hay Spar (surely one of the most used and abused unofficial control in Wales) I was filled with the joys of descending off the Gospel Pass in nigh on perfect conditions.  What views across Wales and into England.  Jaw droppingly gorgeous, something that the many day trippers who had chugged their family cars up to the plateau clearly anticipated.  Climbing up the Gospel pass I was very much "I can't see what the fuss is" and "these types of climbs are ten a penny in Scotland".  But the summit, did I mention how good the views were….

The climb up to the Gospel Pass was relatively straightforward, gentle and benefitted from tree cover.  Continually up but a pretty constant gradient (bar the bit before the cattle grid - why do farmers always seem to put these just before the steepest bit of a climb!) that meant an altitude gain of around 350m in 8km (from memory).  A special climb then and worthy of a 200k that exists mainly to take in it's grandeur.

Leading up to the Gospel Pass was mile after mile of verdant countryside, crossing various valleys which only got to be hilly on the run up to Pandy.  There were, however, a couple of long drags through the Forest of Dean, taking an A road that I hadn't experienced before - a very long climb followed by a very very satisfying descent reminiscent of some in the Pyrenees.  And on well surfaced roads allowing a bit more "risk taking" than narrower country lanes permit.  Before that, the first 30km or so was relatively flat and saw the faster riders (wow, I managed to keep pace for once) form a stringy peleton out of Apperley that was topping out at 35km/h or so on the flat and 25km/h on the lumps.  Well, we managed to keep together until we hit long stretches of gravelled roads around 15km in (plus point no potholes, minus point grit tacular opportunities for skids and toppling over) at which point the more determined riders decided they'd had enough messing around with mere mortals and headed off into the annals of audaxing anonymity (it's not a race, dear...)

It was clear in the car park at the start that there was a "racy" element to the field.  Lots of fit looking whippets chomping for the off.  And pleasingly a high proportion (for an AUK event) of women entrants to the 200.  Admittedly around 10-15% and didn't quite stretch to double figures, bit still, it's a start.  

That I slept over in the hall meant I awoke fresh and so ready to tackle to course with gusto and enthusiasm.  This despite the previous day being spent crunching around 3Peaker's rather jolly Cotswold Corker perm (with a start in Northleach, which turns out to be a great place to start the ride, despite the worst of the hills being in the last bit when legs are starting to grumble a little) which left me feeling suprisingly fresh.  Guess all those miles are beginning to pay off and bodes well for the Mille Cymru.

Muchos gracias to 3Peaker and his comrades in brevet card stamping duty for their time and efforts putting on the Gospel Pass 200.  Much to recommend in this ride, particularly for those who enjoy grimping, quiet countryside routes and views aplenty.

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:18:17 pm »
Where did it go after Pandy ? Not up that *very* steep climb towards Llanvertherine ?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #22 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:42:04 pm »
On the return leg, we were heading from Pandy to Grosmont.  The first step of that, up a little lane pretty much due east out of Pandy, certainly seemed steep at the time!  Is that the one you mean?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #23 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:43:59 pm »
Where did it go after Pandy ? Not up that *very* steep climb towards Llanvertherine ?

:thumbsup:

I think so - from google, the one that goes directly up to the ridge via Groesonen Rd (from Old Pandy Inn, right onto A road then left within 100m, up a narrow lane that in wet weather would be a 'mare).

Google Maps

border-rider

« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »
That'll be the one - grovels up, round a bend and then up some more to join the Grosmont Rd at a T, where you turn left.  I do it regularly the other way; I've done it the way you did on gears.