Author Topic: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 + 150/100 15 March 2014  (Read 5027 times)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
Re: CHELTENHAM FLYER 200 + 150/100 15 March 2014
« Reply #25 on: 15 March, 2014, 10:01:15 pm »
Cracking route, I've not ridden it before. (200)

Rode with The Wonderhorse to the first control then with Audaxwebby, Lordy and the ever entertaining Flatus for the remainder of the ride.
We added our own control in Tetbury, eating various crap using a bin as a table, classy stuff.

Managed a cracking 2hrs and 2 minutes off the bike stuffing my face and having a laugh because for me, it really isn't a race.

At the Arrivee I noticed there was a bar in the other room, so being that way inclined, I wondered in to be told.
1. "You're the first cyclist that's come in here tonight."
2. "Why do you wear that stuff, it's not very flattering."
3. "I bet you've got a firm bum" (followed by a grope of my arse)
4. "HOW FAR? I'll pay for your pint."

Result.   ;D

Thanks to Steve and the folk at the controls, it's a great event.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #26 on: 16 March, 2014, 08:11:45 am »
That was a lovely day out, and quite a contrast to last year. Great weather, superb route and excellent controls. Good to see familiar faces and to meet a few new folk too (Nigel - stop lurking and sign up - there's no commitment required).

Thanks to Steve and helpers, and well done to the 2 non-commercial controls, especially Burbage again.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #27 on: 16 March, 2014, 11:34:08 am »
Sounds like a splendid day out  :thumbsup: I'll put it on the wish list for next year.

« Reply #28 on: 16 March, 2014, 11:43:11 am »
Same here. (In spite of living at the "wrong end" of it.)

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #29 on: 16 March, 2014, 12:22:02 pm »
Fantastic day out in the sunshine and really enjoyed the route and excellent controls. Rode with arf78 again and we made good progress to Burbage for soup and cakes. Next leg to Lacock was hard with the stiff headwind but we're helped by the Cheltenham Wheelers group. We stopped in Tetbury and also used the bin outside the Coop as a table.

Hit the Tarmac just after Tetbury. We found ourselves in a group and a sudden slowing at the front and I hit the wheel of the bike in front and fell. Did not do much damage to myself but did bend the cage on my rear mech and gear selection was difficult from there.

Big thanks to Steve and team.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

« Reply #30 on: 16 March, 2014, 12:32:30 pm »
First time I've gone over 100Km in 4 months so I was expecting it to be fairly tough and wasn't disappointed...........

Started out well and had a quick run to Burbage but was on my own into the wind all the way from Burbage to Lacock and suffered quite a bit in this section.
Managed to slip while clipping in at Lacock and took the skin off the front of my left shin on the back of the pedal. Although this didn't work out well for me, it did help expand the vocabulary of the small child standing beside me, so not all was lost.

Rallied for the last section, took my time and admired the views, as a latecomer I did get to enjoy the full moon and beautiful sunset on the last few KM back to Andoversford so by the time I arrived I felt pretty good. However, on the way inside I was stopped by a woman having a cigarette who demanded to know "What time do you call this? Everyone has been back for ages! What kept you?" This was not the heroes welcome I expected, and I went in a little deflated after mumbling something about it being a long way....

Very grateful to poster who mentioned the attached bar as it explains this conversation to a certain degree.

Super chocolate cake at Uffington, lovely tomato soup in Burbage, beautiful day and fantastic scenery. The changed route in the last section have made this a perfect 200, it's difficult to imagine how it could be improved.

Well done to Steve and helpers - excellent day out  :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 16 March, 2014, 04:27:46 pm »
Lovely route blessed with great weather---very fast (for me !) out to Burbage and superb control stop food, tomato soup and bread rolls ace. Bit of a hard slog across to Lacock into that wind---no hedges to hide behind either :(  . But as turned north wind helped along and although a long leg back it went by fairly quickly. Great little Cotswolds villages and hills out of too :) In just after 5:30 pm and then a ride back to Hails campsite and VW by lovely setting sun and a full moon--pub meal in Winchcombe, bottle farm cider and a good nights sleep. Nice to ride somewhere fast and away from big hills  :thumbsup:

And as above thanks Steve and controls  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #32 on: 16 March, 2014, 07:55:53 pm »
Really enjoyed this one: an interesting route,  sunny weather and good company.  Like many others I had a fast run to Burbage (thanks in part to a long tow from Bairdy) but then suffered on the run to Lacock. If I had anticipated how tough the headwind was going to be I would have put down the camera and tried to grab the Cheltenham wheelers train when they came past me at the first white horse.

Nice to meet RegT over soup and cake, and to be persuaded to break radio silence on this forum.  I have learnt a lot here over the last couple of years, so thanks!

« Reply #33 on: 16 March, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »
I'd just like to echo the comments above thanks Steve for a great event and also thanks to the volunteers at the controls. I started this one late as my train from Bristol had been cancelled so caught the next one and had a sprint from Cheltenham Spa up to Andoversford for a 08:25 start. After grabbing my Brevet card from Steve I enjoyed the fast run through Uffington on to Burbage. I too felt the headwind on the way to Lacock and by the time I made the final long run back to the arrivee the day had caught up with me. I only had time to hand my Brevet card in and much like my brief visit to Andoversford in the morning I was running out the door to jump back on the bike for a quick decent in the dark back to Cheltenham Spa for the train home. I'm glad to say I made it with 2 minutes to spare. The run to and from Andoversford probably being my quickest avg speed of the day  :P

« Reply #34 on: 17 March, 2014, 06:31:18 pm »
Thanks Steve for putting on another great Cheltenham Flyer.  Great route and A1 controls.

Fantastic weather and enjoyable ride with Audaxwebby, Bairdy and the x-rated Flatus.  Great to see many familiar faces, RegT, Mikey, SimonP etc. 

Always good to get a sunny 200km in this early in the year.

simonp

« Reply #35 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:32:02 pm »
That was a great day out and such a contrast to last year. I haven't many miles in my legs this year but didn't suffer too badly. On the Glastonbury 100 Miler I felt tired for the final stage and I had put it down to lack of miles but having felt much better yesterday I now blame coming down with a cold. I did find the headwind getting to Lacock a slog but that seemed to be true of everyone.

Now I've kick started 2014 I'll be much more confident about the Dean in a week and a half.