Author Topic: Gospel Pass 200/Yatmon 150/Hoarwithy 100 14 Jun 14  (Read 3717 times)

Trailhound

• Too much Mardle makes you late!
Re: Gospel Pass 200/Yatmon 150/Hoarwithy 100 14 Jun 14
« Reply #25 on: 15 June, 2014, 06:23:14 pm »
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for a Great Event.Well worth the ride from Norfolk.
Will try and bring some more club members over next year.
I thought the Pandy control worked very well,thanks all.

Good well organized event.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #26 on: 15 June, 2014, 10:24:19 pm »
The food and organisation worked well for us.

We did also get confused at the old bridge in Monmouth and spent some ten mins scratching our heads. Weren't sure whether to cross the old bridge with the arch or not, Erica was looking for a right to Garway, only later realising that this was a later section. To be fair, it was the first time she'd read a routesheet and was occasionally asking me "What's MRB?". It was folded so she didn't see the key/legend/glossary.   :facepalm:

As it turned out, when we later came to the real TR $ Garway, after crossing the river Monnow, we couldn't see a signpost for Garway, just a CP sign. Took it anyway as the GPS said it was right.

Normally I plan ahead and go through the RS with an online map, dropping into Google Street view to spot and memorise any turns that aren't obvious. If I'd had time last week to do that I think we'd have been fine.

Also disappointed we were caught in several long traffic queues coming into Monmouth. Nobody's fault really, but we were loving that downhill. Still, we had a blast.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 15 June, 2014, 11:04:37 pm »
Sorry to miss you Henry - hope you had a grand day out too. Good to see some other familiar faces on the road though, and to make a few new acquaintances.

Wasn't sure whether to ride on gears or fixed, but plumped for fixed

Thanks Reg, we started half an hour late, I think my friend/driver overslept too. A fulsome outing for fixed was it not ;D

Steve - Pandy village hall, the volunteers and food were "above and beyond". For the friends I brought along for their first audax, I think the TLC made a difference to their day.

Route - Stunning of course. Lanes from Hay back towards Pandy mostly new to me and extra pretty. Personally liked the sometimes rustic roads, although I could see some little parts of them could be very mucky and slippy if it was wet. First timer's perspective - my friends showed some amusement, saying do all audax rides go on lanes like this? Advised them yes that's where the best views are/just use your brakes/fit wider tyres/lower pressure/mudguards/grow a beard etc.

One of those hazy days where it was a privilege and a pleasure to be out on the bike... 

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #28 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:14:51 am »
I suppose I can say my Experiment to use Pandy VH worked. I almost felt redundant with CountrySickness and the ‘Pandy Girls’ stealing the ‘Hub’. Before the event, I can say I refunded fees for a few folk who had the courtesy to advise a ‘No Show’.

Thanks for your comments.

Now that the Apperley/GP200 series has been running for a few years, I would like a few clues as to how to mould the events for the future:

How did you find the Pandy Control? Lots of food laid on with a smile, what's not to like :) ... thought this worked really well and was a bargain financially

Pre-paid food or pay at the desk (This was a volunteer kitchen team with no previous knowledge of cyclists needs)? I liked it pre-paid, less hassle for all involved.

Choice of food/Quantity? Very good

Route OK? I drove the Garway route back from Pandy, as I could not pre-ride it; I can only apologise for the ‘lane to a farm’ feeling and have a better alternate route for the future, although hopefully returning to Orcop Hill. Also, while I routed you Clock over the GP, there is no reason for not including an AC option, as it is a Pandy-GP loop. I prefer the Clock version for road quality and ride enjoyment. ... Really enjoyed the route some wonderful views, pleased I took the original route at Kentchurch, bit gravelly in places but no real problems.

Did the World Cup determine a no ride? Never entered my head (although most definitely too tired to stay up for it after the ride)

Date? I avoided the clash with perennial BC400 and BCM600, thinking that the date away might encourage more riders. But numbers about the same. The event can take many more next year ... Can't really add to this other than to say there were no clashes for me but I'd put it my diary a few months before as it had been recommended.

On a final note, thanks to Steve and everyone else at the controls for organising a top ride :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:50:48 pm »
I found this a really excellent day out- thank you for organising this. The food stops at Pandy were brilliant- far, far, better than using commercial controls, and arranging excellent weather for riding was the icing on the cake.

« Reply #30 on: 17 June, 2015, 07:03:53 pm »
Does anyone have a GPX track for the YATMON 150k that I could have please?
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #31 on: 18 June, 2015, 11:46:24 pm »
Does anyone have a GPX track for the YATMON 150k that I could have please?

I'm sure the organiser has one.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.