Author Topic: Good family campsites within 2 hours of Lancaster?  (Read 1894 times)

Good family campsites within 2 hours of Lancaster?
« on: 10 May, 2016, 10:16:36 pm »
Can you recommend any good campsites within 2 hours of Lancaster? We have our favourites such as Great Langdales NT site, a few in Keswick and other lakes sites. Another in Northumbria and one in Peak District.

I am getting bored of the same old sites and curious if anyone has any recommendations. It will be car camping.

As a bonus question, where is a good place further afield to go in the UK as a main holiday (up to 2 weeks)? Cornwall, Devon, various Welsh locations and a few Scottish ones (SW area, highlands, Skye, etc.) have been done before. Something new is needed but I'm a bit against the SE England. I have this thing that I don't like heading that way. Norfolk, Sussex I think are nice enough places but I'm not sure I would like them. I have no idea where else is good.

Re: Good family campsites within 2 hours of Lancaster?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:09:08 am »
Have you tried camping it up?

Sorry, I mean YACF 'Camping It Up'?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:11:38 am »
It depends on what you like.

Northumberland is a hidden gem if you like huge sand dunes, vast empty beaches and history. Just north of Berwick is a good region. Berwick itself is a lovely town then Cragside is nearby, the Farn islands and the coast itself is lively. Bamburgh is small and pleasant with interesting coastal walks. Alwick ditto.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2016, 02:51:33 pm »
Dalesbridge N Yorks?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »
What do you regard as a 'good' campsite?   Some folk like lots of facilities and onsite cafes, others like the basics.   

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2016, 12:16:53 pm »
On the family holiday ,do you want to go somewhere and do things esp. cycling ?
In which case you would like Norfolk.

We have  stayed  here a few times  http://www.old-brick-kilns.co.uk/ and there are lots of lanes in most directions, you can get to Norwich in about an hour , cycle or drive up to the coast quite easily and it's quiet.

Have you thought about going over to Ireland? You are on the right side of the country for ferries ,if you can stand the cost.

muddypete

• Tea makes everything better
« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2016, 06:47:34 pm »
Google "Cannock Chase campsites". There's a couple of options, a few good pubs and (of course) "Follow the Dog", "Monkey Trail" and other MTB & family cycle routes.
Pete
May you always have tail wind.