Author Topic: tent advice.  (Read 2324 times)

tent advice.
« on: 16 July, 2016, 10:41:37 pm »
Advice needed on this tent.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tent-Ultralight-Waterproof-Silicone-Double-layer/dp/B00WMDRSSK?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

ok so i dont do much touring so don't want to spend loads of cash i don't have on an expensive tent .this tent get's good and a wee bit dodgy reviews on utube  ::-)

i need a lightweight tent that packs small it has to sit on my carradice camper saddle bag,trying to go touring with just the one bag  well not counting barbag.
so what do u guys reckon is there a better tent out there for around the same price and size.

Re: tent advice.
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2016, 11:13:27 pm »
That's a very light tent at a very low price. It's made in China. I've no knowledge of the brand, but the feeling I'm getting is that you get what you pay for. And it's a two-person tent, which should make it heavier.

The classic ultra-light tent seems to be the Terra Nova Laser Competition. I've never been able to afford one! At the bottom of that page are some others. The Wild Country Zephyros looks good. The Vango Soul 100 isn't in the same league, but is similar in price and style to the one you suggested, and comes from a proven manufacturer. The same is true of my Coleman Epsilon 2, which is no longer made, but the Cobra is not dissimilar. Note that many of these are one-man tents; unless you're really trying for minimum weight, many people like the extra space of a nominal two-man tent.

If you're getting the idea that I'd buy any of these in preference to the one in your link, I'm afraid you're right.

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2016, 10:49:08 am »
drossall thanks for that good advice im no tent expert far from it so good advice is much appreciated.
i like the look of the cobra and aravis 2 man bit heave 2.5kg  but seem a great tent at a good price £82.
but is it going to be heavy for my  carbon bike im going to be using thats the thing.

around £80 is my max ,sure if i use it more than  2 weeks in the year i'l be doing well to be honest.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2016, 11:08:08 am »
That tent in the link is almost £80. You can pick up a Zephyros 1 for around £99 or a 2 for £110 currently.
I had a Zephyros but sold it as it was a bit small for me, you'd fit in one fine  ;D
It weighs the same as the one in the link at 1.5kg for the 1 man one and 1.65kg minimum for the 2 man, personally if I had the money I'd go for the 2 for the extra room.

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2016, 11:29:55 am »
yip i would fit in a bin bag  but get very sweaty  ;D ;D.i would defo go for a 2 man .pity my own excellent mountain hardware tent is to feckin heavy .im going to check out the new 3 season hilleberg for the craic  fella would want to win the lottery to buy one i reckon..

thanks Buddy.
anto

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2016, 11:49:37 am »
I've a Hilleberg bought a while ago.  Very durable and easy to use but yes, the price has climbed its own mountain, like doubled and then some.  i never realised it was an alternative investment.  What happened?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2016, 11:53:41 am »
If you don't mind grey, you could also do worse than one of Decathlon's, such as the Akto-alike Quickhiker Ultralight 2 person tent.  Sub-2kg (just) and a little over £100.

The Zephyros is a good tent, too; mine's the 2XL Lite version and is a 56cm long package and 1.85kg.  Compare with my old Decathlon tent which is the Ultralite Pro, 40cm packed and 1.7kg.  For what it's worth, I prefer the Decathlon pegs (square aluminium rod).
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2016, 12:50:27 pm »
the decathlon has gon to top of the list looks good to me thanks for the link.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2016, 11:26:40 pm »
Well i think i just bought the naturehike 2 tent doing a deal with a lad,
got it for a great price if it goes ahead happy days.
this was the last bit of gear i needed to go lightweight touring well mostly over night  trips,everything else i have :thumbsup:

update deal done bought the Naturehike cloud2 tent should have it next week ,i reckon it will suit me fine im no expert in tents or cycle touring so it's basically for overnighters .i'll be using the carradice camper saddlebag for all i need ,just hope my new carbon bike can handle the extra weight. :thumbsup: