Author Topic: Hilleberg DAC pole repairs - cutting to length.  (Read 3235 times)

Hilleberg DAC pole repairs - cutting to length.
« on: 14 August, 2016, 06:53:52 pm »
Hmmm, where to start.

A few weeks ago the end of one of the pole sections split on the Nammatj.   Luckily the pole splint was available and mllePB's festival was not ruined.   I replaced the section of pole and it works fine.

This weekend we were in Silverdale.   As I was putting the tent up I noticed that another split was starting.   Both splits have occurred at the flared end of the pole where it slips over the 'male' section of the preceding pole.   Again the pole splint was successfully deployed and our weekend went off without a hitch.

The problem with this particular piece though is that it is the short end with the bung in it to which the cord is attached.   These sections are not for sale.

I am prepared to buy a new section of pole (two actually as we currently do not have a spare section now) but I will need to cut down a length of pole to make a new shorter end piece.   These poles are lush DAC poles and I'm loathe to put the hacksaw to it.

How does the panel recommend such poles should be cut, and, is there anybody here who may be able to oblige with the necessary kit and a few beer tokens as recompense please?

Re: Hilleberg DAC pole repairs - cutting to length.
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2016, 07:14:04 pm »
Alpenstock in Stockport at one time had spare Hilleberg poles. They may still stock them.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2016, 07:19:54 pm »
I will be ringing Alpenstock tomorrow.   I have bought both my Hillebergs from them.   Unfortunately though looking online I cannot see anywhere where I can buy short pole sections though I can buy individual standard pole sections from The Climbers Shop.

« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2016, 07:40:14 pm »
You can also buy repair sections from George Fisher https://shop.georgefisher.co.uk/p/033560/tent-poles-spares/hilleberg/hilleberg-tent-spareaccessory-pole-section-10mm-incl-repair-sleeve  from whom I've had excellent service.  I think it will be  a hacksaw job to do what you want, and maybe a bit of inventiveness on holding the shock cord in place since the retaining plug is unlikely to come out if it has been in a few years.

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2016, 09:05:32 pm »
Ah, I am told that a good quality pipe cutter will do a top job on these poles.   I have a broken one to test on so I shall try to borrow a cutter and see what happens.   

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2016, 09:07:14 pm »
Get hold of a reamer as well! Some cutters have integral. How was your week end up't north?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2016, 09:17:43 pm »
It was great thanks Bob.   We're considering organising a YACF weekend there next year.   Pricier than Long Itch but free showers in good toilet blocks, lots of space and some awesome places to ride, walk, eat and drink.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2016, 09:27:29 pm »
Broken like this?

I just took a hacksaw to it.

Didn't have a problem for the next half a year camping with that pole. Just learned to look at what you are doing not just bending them when you think they are free from each other.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2016, 10:32:08 pm »
Thanks Woolly.

It's not me who breaks them...   ;)

« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2016, 11:42:14 am »
If you suspect user error (throwing the folded pole out and letting the elastic snap it together, pole bent into arc without all joints fully home), getting a spare full pole is probably best - you'll get several spare sections for later.

« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2016, 03:22:18 pm »
The tent is in it's sixth season of use and the problems with the poles is only now beginning to show.   I suspect that there is an element of design issue there anyway as the splitting of both poles has happened at the flared out 'female' section where the poles join.

A very close inspection of the entire pole estate shows no other issues at present.

A couple of new sections will cost £15 and should see us safely through the next few years. *   New sections come with a pole splint sections so I will have three pole splints to carry around for emergencies.    :thumbsup:

*  Where is the fingers crossed smiley?     

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2016, 12:45:55 am »
I suspect there's an element of aluminium poles being a legitimate wear item there, as they're never going to last forever.

A couple of new sections are affordable enough.  It's when they change the design and you have to replace the whole thing (as happened with my Akto) that gets expensive.

« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2016, 07:14:32 pm »
Bit of an update:

A short chat with Jose from Alpenstock has put the seed in my mind that perhaps the damage has been caused by somebody falling onto the tent.   Given that the initial damage happened whilst the tent was "festivalling" with mllePB, this is a serious possibility.   the fact that there has been two sections go in a short time on different poles leads her to think that this is a likely explanation.   

Alpenstock can supply standard straight sections or whole pole replacements.   I think that we'll go for a complete pole to replace one of the existing poles then dismantle the replaced pole for spares.