Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338856 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1075 on: 01 June, 2020, 04:11:04 pm »
A lovely ride up the Southern Upland Way to Lauder on my Gravel Bike bagged the one tile i missed a couple of weeks ago.
This combined with two outliers over by Earlston on the way back now means i'm finally at 18x18!

Total tiles is now 10007, with my cluster at 713.

I've now run out of roads / tracks to expand on 18x18, so i think i'll now concentrate on my cluster, rather than taking up hill walking.  It's supposed to be fun after all
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1076 on: 01 June, 2020, 04:32:38 pm »
Started on this about 4 weeks into lockdown. Now up to 18x18.  It’s giving me plenty of new variations in my efforts to acquire missing squares.

« Reply #1077 on: 01 June, 2020, 09:00:21 pm »
Started on this about 4 weeks into lockdown. Now up to 18x18.  It’s giving me plenty of new variations in my efforts to acquire missing squares.
Agreed, lockdown has been kind to exploring. Keep up the good work

« Reply #1078 on: 01 June, 2020, 09:31:13 pm »
A lovely ride up the Southern Upland Way to Lauder on my Gravel Bike bagged the one tile i missed a couple of weeks ago.
This combined with two outliers over by Earlston on the way back now means i'm finally at 18x18!

I've now run out of roads / tracks to expand on 18x18, so i think i'll now concentrate on my cluster, rather than taking up hill walking.  It's supposed to be fun after all

Come on Russell, WWMND?

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1079 on: 01 June, 2020, 10:39:10 pm »

Come on Russell, WWMND?

(click to show/hide)
You know

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1080 on: 02 June, 2020, 08:33:19 am »
If you look on https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/heatmap you will see links to four Strava'd rides of people who have done that tile.

Where are these getting their data from? Plenty of 'not visited' tiles near me that I've bagged and have lanes running through them so I can't be the only one.  ???

« Reply #1081 on: 02 June, 2020, 08:45:43 am »
If you look on https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/heatmap you will see links to four Strava'd rides of people who have done that tile.

Where are these getting their data from? Plenty of 'not visited' tiles near me that I've bagged and have lanes running through them so I can't be the only one.  ???

Periodic grabs of the public rides of everyone who is in the "Ride Every Tile" Strava Group.

If it's not public it doesn't get grabbed.
If you're not in the "Ride Every Tile" Strava Group (https://www.strava.com/clubs/RideEveryTile) then it won't get grabbed.
If you join the group of upload a ride it doesn't get grabbed straight away. The heatmap says the last data grab was 15th May 2020.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1082 on: 04 June, 2020, 11:17:41 am »
Now the fishermen and golfers are out its time to go out. Another 100 + tiles on the mtb and some off the old hard drives. Lots more around but not going to visit the farms up dead end tracks. Total for now 27571, will be glad when its back to hitting the road for a tour.

« Reply #1083 on: 04 June, 2020, 07:47:29 pm »
Over the last week I have done a few socially-distanced tile grabbing rides to Corby, Grantham and Newark(ish).  I now have two overlapping 44*44 squares.

As a slight diversion I have noticed that I have almost 'done' Leicestershire so may have a day off square bashing and finish the job with a ride to the deep south.

« Reply #1084 on: 05 June, 2020, 10:21:45 am »
Interesting about your county.

I pulled my outer tiles and country boundaries KML files into Google Earth which showed me what I expected: I don't go to the far West Dorset badlands very often.  ;D There's also coast path tiles that I could conceivably get without a boat. More to think about!

(The tile near the coast between Weymouth and Swanage is entirely Lulworth Tank Firing Ranges, therefore completely off limits to even a bit of light trespass ::-))

« Reply #1085 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:23:55 am »
Interesting about your county.

I pulled my outer tiles and country boundaries KML files into Google Earth which showed me what I expected: I don't go to the far West Dorset badlands very often.  ;D There's also coast path tiles that I could conceivably get without a boat. More to think about!

(The tile near the coast between Weymouth and Swanage is entirely Lulworth Tank Firing Ranges, therefore completely off limits to even a bit of light trespass ::-))

I'm not sure about that tile being impossible - approaching from the East (Povington Lane), google street view ends at the red flag, but outside of firing times, I don't think there's anything stopping you from continuing along that road. But you'd have to cross pretty much an entire tile without meeting an actual barrier.

« Reply #1086 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:41:02 am »
I'm not sure about that tile being impossible - approaching from the East (Povington Lane), google street view ends at the red flag, but outside of firing times, I don't think there's anything stopping you from continuing along that road. But you'd have to cross pretty much an entire tile without meeting an actual barrier.

From the East, the closest point of approach that I've achieved on that map gets you to this barrier and sign:

...which I'm not willing to be challenged about if I go further down the road. There looks to be access to a quarry (roughly West Creech on the OS map above) but one would need to go considerably further into the firing range after that to reach the tile edge. :hand:

Davef

« Reply #1087 on: 05 June, 2020, 06:31:44 pm »

From the East, the closest point of approach that I've achieved on that map gets you to this barrier and sign:

...which I'm not willing to be challenged about if I go further down the road. There looks to be access to a quarry (roughly West Creech on the OS map above) but one would need to go considerably further into the firing range after that to reach the tile edge. :hand:
The unexploded shell is just behind that sign next to your bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #1088 on: 05 June, 2020, 08:42:42 pm »
... I have noticed that I have almost 'done' Leicestershire ...

I've been thinking about bagging Oxon.  Need to do some exploring in North Oxfordshire, and elsewhere!

Oxfordshire_June 2020 by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1089 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:51:52 am »

The unexploded shell is just behind that sign next to your bike.

It is possible! Somebody else doing tiling...
https://www.strava.com/activities/3569237412

« Reply #1090 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:43:29 am »
It looks like there is some proper off-piste stuff on that ride.  Reading the comments there appears to be an inner security fence to make sure that people who 'inadvertently' get past the outer perimeter of signs, flags etc. don't get onto the real range.

I am not saying that I would have passed the barrier and sign in Paul D's photo but on reflection it does look more like something that the farmer decided was a good idea to enhance his privacy rather than something official from the MOD.

« Reply #1091 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:45:30 am »
Perhaps a 5am Sunday morning ride to the quarry is more on the cards than I previously thought (the strava activity still goes further than I would want or need to!).

« Reply #1092 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:50:44 am »
Perhaps a 5am Sunday morning ride to the quarry is more on the cards than I previously thought (the strava activity still goes further than I would want or need to!).
He certainly seems to have a devil-may-care approach to difficult tiles.... earlier on in the week he was further into the oil refinery at Fawley than had previously been thought possible.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1093 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:53:38 am »
... I have noticed that I have almost 'done' Leicestershire ...

I've been thinking about bagging Oxon.  Need to do some exploring in North Oxfordshire, and elsewhere!

Oxfordshire_June 2020 by a oxon, on Flickr

Nice, where are people getting their KML/GPX of county boundaries from please.  ;D

« Reply #1094 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:16:38 am »
I downloaded all of England and Wales from here:

https://geoportal.statistics.gov.uk/datasets/d3d7b7538c934cf29db791a705631e24_2/data?orderBy=ctyua17nm&page=9

This points at the Leicestershire page as that was all I really wanted but you get the lot.

I sucked it into Google Earth, highlighted Leicestershire and save just that.

This data is from December 2017 and having had another podge around there are later datasets if you want.

Someone who knows what they are talking about will probably come along and describe a better method  :)

Davef

VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1095 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:26:44 am »
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5edb613c976cb/counties.zip
Zipped gpx file. Each county is a track.

« Reply #1096 on: 06 June, 2020, 02:50:19 pm »
My Oxon boundary was a manual Draw Lines 'trace' from the county boundary shown in the OSM overlay on RideWGPS.    :-\ O:-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Davef

« Reply #1097 on: 06 June, 2020, 03:14:30 pm »

I also have this png file where each county is in a very slightly different shade of grey. It means you can rapidly work out which counties a gpx route goes through.

Davef

VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1098 on: 06 June, 2020, 03:15:24 pm »
To produce annual coverage ...

« Reply #1099 on: 06 June, 2020, 04:14:33 pm »

The counties are generally ceremonial, except for London boroughs. All time, not this year. Although I do apply the rule that I have to ride from/through a "home" point, be that home home or university.