Author Topic: Phone Suggestions  (Read 9415 times)

Re: Phone Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:45:32 pm »
A well timed thread for me too.  Cheers.  I've gone for the cheapo option for my first smart phone the Huawei Ascend Y300
£69 'PAYG' (and unlocked) from Carphonewarehouse (includes a £10 SIM for rainy day). 
Probably go for the TalkTalk SIM only 12m contract.  Currently £3.75 per month for 300mins calls, 3000txts, 1GB data  http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/mobile  Not too shabby.
May not bother with insurance.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #26 on: 12 September, 2013, 01:06:51 pm »
The Huawei Ascend Y300 has received very good reviews.

I'm going to pass my ZTE Blade/Cyanogenmod 7 (formerly Orange San Francisco) to no.2 peep in exchange for my old Ericsson dumphone. The Ericsson will be the perfect cycling companion as the battery life is measured in weeks and it has an excellent camera.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #27 on: 12 September, 2013, 02:01:00 pm »
Severin, Severin..... oops... shiny shiny!

Nexus 4 has arrived. Initial impression is very good indeed

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #28 on: 12 September, 2013, 02:11:07 pm »
Severin, Severin..... oops... shiny shiny!

Nexus 4 has arrived. Initial impression is very good indeed

I'm still waiting for my man.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #29 on: 12 September, 2013, 08:59:17 pm »
A well timed thread for me too.  Cheers.  I've gone for the cheapo option for my first smart phone the Huawei Ascend Y300
£69 'PAYG' (and unlocked) from Carphonewarehouse (with a £10 SIM for a rainy day). 
Probably go for the TalkTalk SIM only 12m contract.  Currently £3.75 per month for 300mins calls, 3000txts, 1GB data  http://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/mobile  Not too shabby.

Are their PAYG phones really unlocked? I've read that they are, but then why do they sell the same phone as "SIM free" for £120?

How does the Huawei Ascend Y300 compare with a Samsung Galaxy S2 (which somebody gave me when they got a new phone)?

For low usage, I'm probably going to go for Three PAYG; calls 3p, text 2p, data 1p per MB.

« Reply #30 on: 12 September, 2013, 10:17:46 pm »
£69 'PAYG' (and unlocked) from Carphonewarehouse (with a £10 SIM for a rainy day). 

Are their PAYG phones really unlocked? I've read that they are, but then why do they sell the same phone as "SIM free" for £120?

How does the Huawei Ascend Y300 compare with a Samsung Galaxy S2 (which somebody gave me when they got a new phone)?

For low usage, I'm probably going to go for Three PAYG; calls 3p, text 2p, data 1p per MB.

CPW state most are unlocked except iphones, which become locked.  http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view%28%29=c{ede583e0-1fa9-11df-4872-f20203001e3d}  They recommend phoning to check, which I did, and this phone is indeed unlocked (apparently) and cheaper that the SIM free deal for some reason.  I bought the T-mobile PAYG SIM card (you have to buy one from the choice of networks) with £10 on, but actually T-mobile themselves don't offer the Y300 as a PAYG phone option.

I think the Y300 scores on value in the reviews, rather than spec.  I suspect it doesn't have gorilla glass like the S2, or perhaps quite the memory for apps.  Will be a big change for me and my LG £30 clamshell I've had for about 5yrs.

rr

« Reply #31 on: 12 September, 2013, 10:27:53 pm »
Nexus 4 doesn't have SD card AFAIA, how much of a pain would this be? (I'm looking for a PAYG phone atm.)   Interested in the Huawei YY300, as a cheap option...

I have one of these - cost me £53 (carphone warehouse upgrade offer and cashback from topcashback)
works well and the only drawback I have found is the lack of a compass which means that navigation apps don't align with the ground and the likes of sun surveyor don't work.
I have a 32Gb micro sd in it which is more than half full.

« Reply #32 on: 14 September, 2013, 10:13:21 am »
Nexus 4 doesn't have SD card AFAIA, how much of a pain would this be? (I'm looking for a PAYG phone atm.)   Interested in the Huawei YY300, as a cheap option...

I have one of these - cost me £53 (carphone warehouse upgrade offer and cashback from topcashback)
works well and the only drawback I have found is the lack of a compass which means that navigation apps don't align with the ground and the likes of sun surveyor don't work.
I have a 32Gb micro sd in it which is more than half full.

Phone arrived - very pleased.  Screen looks good, appears nice and responsive.  2020mAh battery - decent capacity.  So far put on Strava, OSM mapping & iplayer.  Phone seems to work well too :)  I generally like the oldstyle nondigital telephone ring - ringtone though, android doesn't seem to include...  I guess it's available somewhere.

edit:  Old Phone Ringtones app  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qiniuwubi.oldphone.ringtone&hl=en    :)

« Reply #33 on: 14 September, 2013, 12:09:36 pm »
Have you tried it with another network's SIM card? I'm tempted to get the Y300, but need to know if it really is unlocked from CPW...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #34 on: 14 September, 2013, 12:37:01 pm »
Have you tried it with another network's SIM card? I'm tempted to get the Y300, but need to know if it really is unlocked from CPW...

I've just extracted my T-mobile SIM card from the Y300, and swapped it with my daughter's Tesco mobile SIM.  Seems to work fine and so be unlocked; I was able to see the Tesco contacts, received some messages from Tesco, and I also made a call to our home phone number from the phone.  Replaced T-mobile SIM, back to normal, displaying EE (network) on the screen.   :)   

« Reply #35 on: 14 September, 2013, 01:53:50 pm »
Thanks Andy. My Nexus 4 purchase may be changed for a Y300...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #36 on: 14 September, 2013, 02:18:34 pm »
Does sound like the Nexus 4 is a very good handset (though £130 more).  I'm planning to get some of these screen protectors to try.  I assume the Y300 needs something; I guess that they don't have too much impact on the screen sensitivity.

« Reply #37 on: 14 September, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »
I've always had screen protectors on my touch screens and I don't notice any lackof sensitivity with them. I'd delve more deeply on eBay though, as I usually pay 99p posted for a set of 5. The Y300 might be more of a niche though.

« Reply #38 on: 15 September, 2013, 07:01:17 pm »
Watching this with interest. Tempted to go for the nexus but understand that you cant open the thing. This means the phone is limited by battery life?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: 15 September, 2013, 07:45:05 pm »
Watching this with interest. Tempted to go for the nexus but understand that you cant open the thing. This means the phone is limited by battery life?

That will make it difficult to insert the SIM

« Reply #40 on: 15 September, 2013, 08:12:41 pm »
The SIM (micro sim) is accessed via a push out drawer, as is common. I converted my ordinary sim  with one of these ridiculously cheap items that is perfectly up to the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360648856494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The battery? Well, it does sound a nuisance, but batteries these days seem to have a 5 year life, by which time I will be lusting after a 32 core quantum processor device. Many top end phones are similar (most?) so, it sort-of comes down to, do you want a top end phone that's as fast as shit off a hot shovel, or a standard one?

The screen is better than the iPhone 4s by a considerable margin.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #41 on: 15 September, 2013, 10:30:28 pm »

There appear to be a couple of screws at the bottom. I'm sure there must be a guide somewhere.

Edit: http://youtu.be/QlGhaOst1c8
Pen Pusher

« Reply #42 on: 15 September, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »

The battery isn't replaceable without tools, but can be replaced by a moderately skilled DIYer with a Torx driver and a spudger. That said, it's almost entirely academic - a phone old enough to have worn out a LiPo battery is almost certainly worth less than a replacement battery.

« Reply #43 on: 16 September, 2013, 09:31:43 am »
The SIM (micro sim) is accessed via a push out drawer, as is common. I converted my ordinary sim  with one of these ridiculously cheap items that is perfectly up to the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360648856494?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That's a great device!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #44 on: 17 September, 2013, 10:37:02 am »

That's a great device!

I ordered one of these yesterday (seemed rude not to). Arrived in this morning's post :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #45 on: 17 September, 2013, 01:43:55 pm »
Just picked up a Y300 from CPW. Phew, they do try and add value to their sales, don't they?! I said no to all, including a case, screen protector and insurance. I got the first two off eBay for a fraction CPW wanted.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 17 September, 2013, 01:48:44 pm »
Just picked up a Y300 from CPW. Phew, they do try and add value to their sales, don't they?! I said no to all, including a case, screen protector and insurance. I got the first two off eBay for a fraction CPW wanted.

Hardly surprising given you can get an unlocked dumb phone for under a fiver (then get a £10 £20 PAYG SIM). There can't be much profit in that so they push the rest.

« Reply #47 on: 17 September, 2013, 01:55:43 pm »
Yebbut, I found it easy to say no, but a teen or grannie might be pressured into something they don't need or want at the price CPW flog 'em for.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #48 on: 17 September, 2013, 01:59:52 pm »
Indeed. I suppose that's how many shops work. We're not really Sensible Adults for long enough.

One of my friends, who hardly use a mobile at all, was persuaded to put the £5 phone onto a contract. <sigh>

« Reply #49 on: 17 September, 2013, 11:20:23 pm »

With me it was SD cards and the 'great monthly deal' that I could phone up about (and mention their name) if I wanted... Quite friendly and efficient though.