Author Topic: Tour of Romandie [with spoilers]  (Read 2835 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Tour of Romandie [with spoilers]
« on: 25 April, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »
File today's stage under "Things you don't see every day": Brad Wiggins winning a sprint finish.

See also: Mark Cavendish finishing third in yesterday's prologue.

Does the panel think Sky are up for this race or what?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Tour of Romandie [with spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2012, 05:00:41 pm »
Cav does very well in short prologues. He has won several. G was doing well till the hills got bigger than the track banking.

That was a sprint of attrition! Do you think this is part of the Sky shock and awe approach before le Tour? Top two places, two wins.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »
...and Michael Rogers in second place too.

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2012, 05:13:51 pm »
Cav does very well in short prologues.

Yes, yesterday's prologue wasn't really much more than a sprint. Today's win was definitely more of a genuine surprise.

That was a sprint of attrition! Do you think this is part of the Sky shock and awe approach before le Tour? Top two places, two wins.

Who knows? It's definitely given his rivals something to think about. Wiggo is clearly in the form of his life - but then we said that last year too...

d.

David Martin

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2012, 05:22:09 pm »
Last year he could have won[1], had it not been for a broken collar bone.
This year he is in even better form. The team are better prepared. Almost worth putting a tenner on the cav/wiggo double.

[1] Though more likely to just podium

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2012, 05:30:04 pm »
Almost worth putting a tenner on the cav/wiggo double.

After today, might be worth a tenner on the Wiggo/Wiggo double. ;)

@Vaughters Wow. Wiggo. I've been saying it for a few months, he's my Tdf favorite. And the one guy who left that I wish I could have kept :(....

d.

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:15:28 pm »
Go G! Go Wiggo!

Talking of Cav - he's not actually a bad tester in general - it's just that he usually takes the day off on TT days to save his legs...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2012, 10:29:59 pm »
I only caught the last 21km today, what happened to Geraint Thomas?

« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2012, 07:33:46 am »
Finished 7 minutes down after fading on the last climb with about 30km to go.  In his post-prologue interview with Matt Rendell it was clear he wasn't going to defend the jersey, and yesteday evening he tweeted:
Gave it everything to hang in, but not quite... The difference a few kg can make!! Still Great win for Brad!! #sharethejumper

Very impressed with Sky (well those that had made it up that climb with the peloton) dropping back to help Wiggins after his puncture and not only bringing  him back but also chasing down the break of 13 riders.  Wiggins said he'd gone for the win so as to thank 'the boys' for their help.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2012, 07:52:42 am »
I didn't realise he'd had that puncture until I watched the highlights last night. It just makes his win even more remarkable. Obviously he wasn't up against the top sprinters but it was still a genuine sprint rather than a Cancellara-style time-trialling off the front inside the last km.

I also liked the way Evans was desperately clinging to his wheel in the last few km. ;D

Heck, he's really looking like a genuine contender. Seriously tempted to put some money on him for the TdF now while the odds are good...

Also, what's going on with Basso? I thought he was targeting the Giro this year. He's going to need to find some form pretty damn soon.

d.

« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:14:50 pm »
Seriously tempted to put some money on him for the TdF now while the odds are good...

I think the odds on Chris Froome may be better in the UK, and I think he has almost as good a shout.
I have a hunch.
...and I fancy Peter Segan for Green in Paris, but that is just contrary. (and I think Cav will have done a Chippo by then)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:06:08 am »
When I saw the first stage I thought to myself how nice this part of Switzerland looks - lush green pastures, neat little villages, mountains in this background.  But several days on and every stage has looked identical, every village looks the same, every building looks like it been built from the same kit.  Are they just going around in circles ?

Other questions - How come nobody has gardens ?  Or fences ?  And what do they use the lush green pastures for - we've hardly seen any livestock and there's been no sign of crops at all.
Aero but not dynamic

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2012, 09:14:21 am »
Ever read Brave New World? Rumour has it that Huxley got his ideas about a society with such extreme levels of conformity from a visit to Switzerland, but had to water them down because he didn't think anyone would believe it plausible.

d.

David Martin

« Reply #13 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:52:45 pm »
A stunning ride by Bradley - That is a superb effort especially given the mechanical. Three major stage races now.

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 29 April, 2012, 07:36:38 pm »
Reckon he might defend his Dauphiné title?

d.

David Martin

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »
Be short odds for the tour if he does.. He is the stage racer on form and sky are working like a well oiled machine now.

« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »
That is a fantastic result. He's looking like the real deal. Did I read in the Beeb report that he had to change bike, during a 16.5km time trial ?  And he won it ??    Bloody hell.
Rust never sleeps

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:53:06 pm »
Mechanical was due to chain coming off front rings.  Was this result of using elliptical chain rings??? Can't afford this sort of problem in the Tour!
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »
Mechanical was due to chain coming off front rings.  Was this result of using elliptical chain rings??? Can't afford this sort of problem in the Tour!
That shouldn't be a problem, Contador isn't participating this year.  :-)
Rust never sleeps

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »
That is a fantastic result. He's looking like the real deal.

Yes, he seems to be peaking perfectly doesn't he?  I thought he would have been there or thereabouts last year, he looked in incredible shape.

Has he got the ability to break away and put some time into the other contenders though?  He's no surprise package any more.

Can't wait to see how it pans out in the mountains.

« Reply #20 on: 30 April, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »
That is a fantastic result. He's looking like the real deal. Did I read in the Beeb report that he had to change bike, during a 16.5km time trial ?  And he won it ??    Bloody hell.
You did read that but it was wrong.  He tried to put the chain back on as he was riding but as he came to a stop the mechanics were putting it on for him and pushing him off.  It's somewhere in this clip (apologies for the ad). it probably cost him about 10-15 seconds. I guess a bike change would have taken a little longer so would have cost him the stage, at least.  Yes, it was only 16.5km but it took nearly half an hour. 

Has he got the ability to break away and put some time into the other contenders though? 

That's what the 96km of TT are for.