Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 472200 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3325 on: 24 October, 2020, 09:55:07 pm »
93 days since onset of my weird neurological gammy legs syndrome, and no further forward with diagnosis.  >:(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3326 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:26:29 am »
 >:( that is really unfair Brian, I am frustrated for you. Not knowing is horrible. Keeping fingers crossed someone works it out ASAP.

« Reply #3327 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:51:57 pm »
After 2 months of gentle weight loss (6.5kg) and abstinence from alcohol, plus decent exercise 3 times a week, I measured my blood pressure today at 113/75.   On August 28th it was measured at 134/97. I’m quite pleased by the reduction. Only another 10kg or so to go....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3328 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:08:34 pm »
93 days since onset of my weird neurological gammy legs syndrome, and no further forward with diagnosis.  >:(

Fingers crossed that you hear something soon.

Sadly, you will have been triaged as 'not life threatening' and pushed down the priority ladder :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

BrianI

« Reply #3329 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:02:09 pm »

Fingers crossed that you hear something soon.

Sadly, you will have been triaged as 'not life threatening' and pushed down the priority ladder :(

Yes, I think that is the case. While I'm grateful I'm in the "not life threatening" triage box, it is a bother waiting and wondering (a) what the diagnosis is, and (b), how long I'll still be employed. 

simonp

« Reply #3330 on: 26 October, 2020, 02:42:03 pm »
Another letter from cardiologist. Monitoring over two weeks showed very frequent ectopic beats, 12% of all beats over two weeks. No dangerous arrhythmias (reassuring). Goes away during exercise (reassuring). More tests (MRI) recommended to investigate if there's a subtle structural defect that could be causing this. Also exercise stress test. No results from angiogram yet.

« Reply #3331 on: 27 October, 2020, 10:32:01 am »
That's good about the arrhythmias, Simon.  Hope the angiogram works out ok and the MRI when you have it.  I di wonder about your tandem, when I saw it, I think on Yr Elenydd.  just pushing that would probably have killed me!

good luck.

Peter

BrianI

« Reply #3332 on: 27 October, 2020, 12:16:43 pm »
Video consultation with physio this morning.
They are suggesting it may be Functional Neurological Disorder, which apparently was on my discharge notes from when I was in hospital at the end of July.  http://neurosymptoms.org/

proper diagnosis won't be made until I see neurologist, but the physio is saying that it'll do good to work on the symptoms through physio in the mean time. 

Also says I can try indoor cycling as well.   :thumbsup:

barakta

« Reply #3333 on: 27 October, 2020, 02:02:00 pm »
Interesting...

Hope exercises start to help and you start to get support.

Appalling that they had a prospective diagnosis on your records but hadn't fucking well told you - that's just crass but oh so common.

BrianI

« Reply #3334 on: 27 October, 2020, 08:16:57 pm »
Interesting...

Hope exercises start to help and you start to get support.

Appalling that they had a prospective diagnosis on your records but hadn't fucking well told you - that's just crass but oh so common.

The fortunate thing is the (private) counsellor I've been seeing for my black dog over the past year or so, also has experience with dealing with Functional Neurological Disorder, so hopefully once I get a *definite* diagnosis, I'll have another avenue for treatment.

But yes, a bit annoying, they could have told me "we think it could be functional neurological disorder, so here are some leaflets and physio plans to be getting on with until you see neurology" when I was discharged.

barakta

« Reply #3335 on: 27 October, 2020, 08:54:09 pm »
Agreed about sensible discharge info... Then again, I think there's a law which says it has to be useless and shit. The look on my A&E doc's face when I told him what I got from my denervation procedure was a picture and he said he hated discharge sheets cos they were always useless...

Glad you already have an in with someone who treats FND if that is indeed what it is.

I can't help thinking the damage from such a condition would be less entrenched if it was treated promptly rather than months of fuckery and delay...

simonp

« Reply #3336 on: 27 October, 2020, 10:45:11 pm »
I hope the physio is helpful BrianI.  :thumbsup:

BrianI

« Reply #3337 on: 29 October, 2020, 02:36:11 pm »
Well, physios had team meeting with neurologists today.  Looks like the neurologist wants me to get seen sooner, rather than later due to my symptoms. So hopefully a few more weeks, rather than months until I get the appointment for neurology.

barakta

« Reply #3338 on: 29 October, 2020, 04:50:39 pm »
Fingers crossed Brian!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3339 on: 30 October, 2020, 09:08:48 am »
Well, physios had team meeting with neurologists today.  Looks like the neurologist wants me to get seen sooner, rather than later due to my symptoms. So hopefully a few more weeks, rather than months until I get the appointment for neurology.

Aye well, the word patience comes from the Greek for suffering.  I hope they get you sorted soon.

Bon courage.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

simonp

« Reply #3340 on: 10 November, 2020, 05:24:37 pm »
Patience is a virtue innit.

In totally unrelated news, it's 4 weeks (yesterday in fact) since I had the angiogram. I'd like to know the result now.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3341 on: 12 November, 2020, 09:15:07 am »

In totally unrelated news, it's 4 weeks (yesterday in fact) since I had the angiogram. I'd like to know the result now.

Bloody hell, when I had my last one I watched the whole thing live on a screen and they told me what they were finding all through the exam. Afterwards the surgeon gave me a summing-up in my room and a week later I had the movie on a CD. Unfortunately not compatible with YouTube.

---o0o---

In other news, the electronic bumf that came with my Afib watch contains the wondrous advice "If you have no symptoms of Atrial Fibrillation, consult your doctor urgently".  Er...

Zero instances detected, BTW.

simonp

« Reply #3342 on: 19 November, 2020, 04:35:30 pm »

Bloody hell, when I had my last one I watched the whole thing live on a screen and they told me what they were finding all through the exam. Afterwards the surgeon gave me a summing-up in my room and a week later I had the movie on a CD. Unfortunately not compatible with YouTube.

---o0o---

In other news, the electronic bumf that came with my Afib watch contains the wondrous advice "If you have no symptoms of Atrial Fibrillation, consult your doctor urgently".  Er...

Zero instances detected, BTW.

Well I got the letter today, doesn't say much.

I have very slight furring of one coronary artery, unlikely to cause symptoms, definitely doesn't explain my palpitations.

"Overall these are reassuring findings". I guess they were looking for something more significant. It would also suggest that my palpitations aren't the result of a silent heart attack.

Have to get my cholesterol checked. Still no explanation for the arrhythmia. Still trying to find out if I can book MRI and exercise stress test. I'm guessing that things are slow because of Covid.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3343 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:58:02 am »
Well I got the letter today, doesn't say much.

I have very slight furring of one coronary artery, unlikely to cause symptoms, definitely doesn't explain my palpitations.

"Overall these are reassuring findings". I guess they were looking for something more significant. It would also suggest that my palpitations aren't the result of a silent heart attack.

Have to get my cholesterol checked. Still no explanation for the arrhythmia. Still trying to find out if I can book MRI and exercise stress test. I'm guessing that things are slow because of Covid.

It's rare that anyone reaches middle age without some plaque somewhere, and the coronary arteries seem to be a favourite target.  Reminds me of oxbow lake formation from school geography lessons.

The stress test would probably be easier to get.  MRI is likely in demand for Covid cases.

simonp

« Reply #3344 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:22:32 am »
This is the risk of having all these tests - finding things that sound like you should worry but indeed most people do have some degree of furring by my age. If the cholesterol is high then statins are recommended - to stop the furring getting any worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3345 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:43:33 am »
Statins are no great problem. I read a report the other day to the effect that most of the ills ascribed to them are psychosomatic - the so-called nocebo effect.

The researchers found 90% of symptoms experienced by the patients were present when they took placebo tablets.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/15/nocebo-effect-cause-of-most-statin-side-effects-research-suggests

I've been on them since 2006 and the only discernable effect is that I'm still getting older. Oh, and the cardiologist doesn't bellyache about my cholesterol levels.

simonp

« Reply #3346 on: 20 November, 2020, 10:03:40 am »
Statins are no great problem. I read a report the other day to the effect that most of the ills ascribed to them are psychosomatic - the so-called nocebo effect.

The researchers found 90% of symptoms experienced by the patients were present when they took placebo tablets.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/15/nocebo-effect-cause-of-most-statin-side-effects-research-suggests

I've been on them since 2006 and the only discernable effect is that I'm still getting older. Oh, and the cardiologist doesn't bellyache about my cholesterol levels.

Yep, I came across a similar statistic the other day. So we’ll see what the result is (test is booked for Tuesday). Last time I had a test was several years ago and iirc it was slightly above ideal but not considered an issue.

If I wanted to try to control it with lifestyle then increasing exercise beyond what I’m doing already isn’t really feasible. Might have to stop trying to keep up with the chickens’ egg laying. That was going to get very tough anyway as we rescued 10 more recently. Of course it’s unclear that normal egg consumption is an issue but maybe eating 4 a day isn’t so clever now. 🤔

« Reply #3347 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:45:59 am »
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-eggs-should-you-eat#

Our dogs used to love eggs. And winter's almost here, you'll be down to 30% production soon.

simonp

« Reply #3348 on: 20 November, 2020, 12:08:43 pm »
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-many-eggs-should-you-eat#

Our dogs used to love eggs. And winter's almost here, you'll be down to 30% production soon.

Thanks for the link - indeed production had already dropped from our remaining chickens. I used to be able to give excess production to people at work but that's not possible now.

« Reply #3349 on: 20 November, 2020, 12:10:14 pm »
When you get the results make sure that they look at the LDL:HDL ratio which is the important number not the absolute cholesterol limit.