Author Topic: live position tracker?  (Read 1150 times)

live position tracker?
« on: 17 May, 2011, 08:11:24 am »
Some very bored folks want to track me 'live' while I'm on my end-to-end in June.  I've got a garmin 705 and a blackberry, is a tracker app on my phone the best bet or do I need to buy another gadget? 

all recommendations welcome, simple is good, and so is free  :)

Re: live position tracker?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2011, 08:16:47 am »
I just run google's Latitude app on my iPhone, looks like they do a version for blackberry as well -
      Google Latitude

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:10:39 am »
The defacto standard for these things is a SPOT.  I'm sure you can rent them if that makes more sense.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:31:46 am »
The defacto standard for these things is a SPOT.  I'm sure you can rent them if that makes more sense.
renting bottom of the page
SPOT2 Satellite GPS Messenger Tracker

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:53:47 pm »
Latitude works after a fashion, but is not without its quirks:

- The Symbian version is pretty much foolproof, updating at sensible intervals but will only use cellular positioning when the phone is in standby mode.

- The Android version stops updating after 15 minutes when the phone is in standby mode.  Nasty hacks to inhibit standby work well (and will keep the GPS active, for accurate location), but leave the screen unlocked with the backlight on, leading to issues with random button presses and requiring vast amounts[1] of power.

- The Windows Mobile version is much the same, though it's been a long time since I attempted to use it, as my WM device had the worst battery life in the universe.

- I haven't used the IOS version, it used to be thwarted by lack of multitasking, but I think they've fixed that.

If you want reliable, a dedicated satellite-based device is the way to go.  Anything cellular is going to fail as soon as you get out into the sticks.

If couple-of-hourly updates are acceptable, Latitude on a mobile device of choice that's allowed to go to sleep between manually invoked updates is a reasonable approach.  I've been following andygates's progress on his E2E this way.

I'm sure smartphone-based alternatives to Latitude exist, but are going to have the same sort of power/accuracy/reliability issues.

[1] Realistically, you'd have to be running froma dynamo the whole time.

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »
If you have an Android phone, you can use Locale + SendPosition to tweet/txt/etc your position every so often, or when you reach a position determined by GPS/Cell or when you depart from a postion (ie it can turn off at controls, but when you are moving, send position every so often. I use it to keep my wife updated, and have it set to send position at locations, plus in response to a txt from her. Much better than saying I'll do it, inevitably forgetting, and finding her stressed because she's imagined I am dead in a ditch.