Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 399920 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #675 on: 13 March, 2012, 11:18:41 am »
Vaseline is your friend. Seriously. Forget the talc, it doesn't work. Smear your feet in Vaseline :) Lots of it.

« Reply #676 on: 13 March, 2012, 11:23:31 am »
and I'd suggest single layer thin socks over your vaseline soaked feet, I've always found twin-layer socks invariably find a place to crease and creases are very very bad news! snug thin socks are your friend  ;D
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #677 on: 13 March, 2012, 12:51:03 pm »
Most of the events I have won have been 30-40 milers I think.
That's not something I expect to be writing anytime soon!

« Reply #678 on: 18 March, 2012, 09:11:12 pm »
What is it about racing in the rain that seems to dissolve brain cells? Isn't it obvious that cold_wind + rain => cold bodies after 40 minutes+ ?!? Has Audaxing turned me into a worrying old woman?!?

I've been reading some reports from the "Hard riders" time trials run on Sunday, mostly about an hour in duration - hardly anyone seems to have dressed for the weather. Perhaps for once riders should follow the continentals; "Cover the knees below 15 degrees"! I once had to give a rider some gloves at an April event before pushing him off.

You'll all catch your death I tell ya!!!

I tried Granny Matt's approach at the Banbury 15 today what with a chilly northerly plus possible rain forecast and me really not wanting a repeat of Milton Keynes. Tights, shorts, compression top, gloves and vest. I got a bit warm in the second half but reckon i was a lot better off than some of the slower vest, shorts and pink flesh runners. Managed not to fade at the end like I usually do so reckon it was a good move.
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #679 on: 18 March, 2012, 10:01:02 pm »
Nice one Nic, I did a solo half today just running around the paths of MK making it up as I went.
Didn't feel that fast and kept a steady pace all the way round. Took 2 min's off the MK half time though  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to the next ones I've booked up for, St Albans in June and another in MK in July.

trixie

« Reply #680 on: 19 March, 2012, 07:34:54 am »
Managed to get round the Great Bentley half marathon yesterday - first time in years I've done one.  It's a great course, really flat with just 2 bridges as 'hills'.  Very well organised and a super 'goodie' bag at the end containing a glass paperweight with 3-d image inside of two runners - and I thought the heavy object was a brick!

Managed my best time for a half, 1hr 52mins - which of course is pretty slow for serious runners but great for an old gal like me.  At 49 I thought I should give up running and take up long distance walking instead, but encouraged by yesterday I think I'll carry on into my 50s...and perhaps beyond..who knows?  :)

« Reply #681 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »
Managed to get round the Great Bentley half marathon yesterday - first time in years I've done one.  It's a great course, really flat with just 2 bridges as 'hills'.  Very well organised and a super 'goodie' bag at the end containing a glass paperweight with 3-d image inside of two runners - and I thought the heavy object was a brick!

Managed my best time for a half, 1hr 52mins - which of course is pretty slow for serious runners but great for an old gal like me.  At 49 I thought I should give up running and take up long distance walking instead, but encouraged by yesterday I think I'll carry on into my 50s...and perhaps beyond..who knows?  :)

Well done honor! I'd be very pleased with 1:52 if I hadn't raced for years - that would easily place you in the first half of a big race like Milton Keynes.

« Reply #682 on: 19 March, 2012, 08:21:33 pm »
Nice one Nic, I did a solo half today just running around the paths of MK making it up as I went.
Didn't feel that fast and kept a steady pace all the way round. Took 2 min's off the MK half time though  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to the next ones I've booked up for, St Albans in June and another in MK in July.

Thanks Rich! I can't run anywhere near race pace in training - I need the herd to carry me along. I did the other (NSPCC) MK Half a few years back and think it's slightly flatter and less crowded which I preferred. They had a deafening 'warm-up' thing at the start where lots of people wasted half their energy reserves jumping about before they'd even started the race - I avoided that bit.

« Reply #683 on: 20 March, 2012, 10:14:02 am »
Nice work Honor :) Hope you are really pleased.

I also don't get near race pace in training- its race pace for a reason.... I don't like running at 6 something pace in training, most of my easy running is 8 something min miles. Save the 6's for the races.

I've now seen people about my bust foot- I saw 3 surgeons at once which was useful. Its a bit of a mess!!! I have a ruptured plantar fascia, tumours on the tendon and some tunnel syndrome thing in the tendons. Having an operation to try and repair it all in July, will need to be in plaster 3 weeks very annoyingly but worth it to run again. In fact it will be worth it to walk properly lol as I've been limping on it for what feels like totally forever.

« Reply #684 on: 20 March, 2012, 11:26:52 am »
Feel silly posting this under your post, Lady Cav, as my problems are nothing. That said, my peroneal tendon hadn't improved despite 2 weeks of no running and loads of ibuprofen gel and tablets. I happened to check whether there was NHS physio in my area. Turns out you can self refer. I had a half hour consultation over the phone, and have applied for a face-to-face consultation.

In the mean time, I was chatting to a couple of the researchers in my dept., one who is a research physio, the other who is a personal trainer in her spare time. The personal trainer offered to do a tool assisted massage on it. Wow - the effect was immediate and incredible. I've gone from hobbling when walking to being able to run - I'm not going to, but I couldn't even push off with the ball of my foot before. She'd done it twice since, and has offered to continue doing it for another week to see if it can be fixed before the appointment comes through. It's entirely possible it could have got better on it's own, but the immediate effects are quite astonishing - shocking, even. She thinks I'll be running again by the end of next week, whereas the physio on the phone said 6 weeks. The research physio agreed with the PT that another 6 weeks off would most likely be counter-productive, but who knows (and it feels unfair to compare opinions of two people who've seen it with someone I've only spoken to over the phone).

I'm not sure what version of tool assisted massage it is she is using, but I see there are a bunch. I'll ask next time she does it.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #685 on: 01 April, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »
Parkrun again yesterday, times come down to 22.37 this week  :thumbsup:
Enjoying the change and looks like I'll do more running than audax this year. Will get back to it next year I suppose  ;D

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #686 on: 01 April, 2012, 03:23:21 pm »
Did my first ever 10km. today. It wasn't fast but I ran all the way.  :)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #687 on: 01 April, 2012, 10:43:59 pm »
Well done Gus  :thumbsup:

« Reply #688 on: 02 April, 2012, 07:25:12 am »
Run a total of 46km this week, which I'm pleased with after several weeks off with tendon trouble. When I start reintroducing the vivobarefoots, I'm going to do it slowly this time!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #689 on: 02 April, 2012, 09:28:58 am »
Enjoying the change and looks like I'll do more running than audax this year. Will get back to it next year I suppose  ;D
Apparently you've already ridden at least 514km; that's a lot of 5ks!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #690 on: 03 April, 2012, 06:47:04 am »
Sad to read that Micah True - the mysterious, minimalist trail runner 'caballo blanco' that shows MacDougal the ropes in 'Born to Run' - has been found dead.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/46121/body-runner-micah-true-caballo-blanco-found

« Reply #691 on: 03 April, 2012, 06:48:53 am »

That's a minute faster than I can do  :thumbsup:

« Reply #692 on: 03 April, 2012, 01:01:34 pm »
Sad to read that Micah True - the mysterious, minimalist trail runner 'caballo blanco' that shows MacDougal the ropes in 'Born to Run' - has been found dead.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/46121/body-runner-micah-true-caballo-blanco-found

Yes, saw that too. Sad news.

Did an 11 mile run out on various tractor tracks yesterday, and my ankle was fine. I think I'm safe to conclude I'm fixed.

« Reply #693 on: 04 April, 2012, 07:53:31 am »

Yes, saw that too. Sad news.

Did an 11 mile run out on various tractor tracks yesterday, and my ankle was fine. I think I'm safe to conclude I'm fixed.

Running on tractor tracks! Don't know whether that counts as a genius ankle strengthening method or just plain masochism.

« Reply #694 on: 05 April, 2012, 08:59:34 pm »
They aren't that bad at the mo'. I did 13.35 miles on them tonight, which was my first half marathon distance run. Mostly I try to run between them.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #695 on: 12 April, 2012, 12:42:14 pm »
I am reading this book, 'Run Fat B!tch Run' which is about getting into running, from scratch. Basically you devise a 3-4 mile route (which begins and ends at home), which you walk at first, memorise it, walk it for around 2 weeks (3-5 times a week) and then gradually after the 10 minute warm up you start jogging, very slowly for as long as you can. Then walk the rest of the way. Each time you go out the idea is extending it until you can run it pretty much in 45 minutes. My husband says thats slow, but thats the point - its about getting to that point in the first place. I currently cycle around 22 miles a day (commuting) but my body is used to it  :-[

So I ran for about 5 minutes of the route yesterday and then walked the rest of it - my heart was really yammering away when I did the jogging bit. Today the front of my thighs are sore!

« Reply #696 on: 12 April, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »
Couch to 5km is one that's really popular on myfitnesspal. It confused the heck out of me, because people would say "I've just completed C25K, and now I'm doing a 10k race", leaving me thinking they had been doing 25km runs.

Anyway, C25Km sounds similar to your book

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #697 on: 12 April, 2012, 01:29:42 pm »
Thanks DrMekon, my mate Dave has been doing the couch to 5km programme and it seems a very similar one to Run Fat B!tch Run.

LOL -  C25K! In my dreams  :o

A few minutes after that run, and looking at the view of London from Blyth Hill fields I felt remarkably good. During the run I felt like sh!t. But as the Grit Doctor says in the book 'do not expect to enjoy it - in fact - you may not even get to enjoy it'

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #698 on: 16 April, 2012, 11:48:17 am »
Still enjoying the running here, did my first 10k race yesterday over in Flitwick.
Good fun, but a little undulating!!
Was hoping for about 50 minutes considering the course and running in a crowd, All the 1km splits were under 5 minutes though and I finished in a time of 48.23 which I'm well happy with  :thumbsup:

« Reply #699 on: 17 April, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »
25th May :) :) :)

Thats when my operation is happening.

I'm going to run again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!