Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 425381 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #725 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:30:58 pm »
Don't runners do permanents like we do in Audax? :(

« Reply #726 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:32:55 pm »
A marathon is a marathon race, not a 26 mile training run!!!!!!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #727 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:33:05 pm »
Parkrun do :) But only for 5k :(

{Or you could do an Izzard ... money might be required :(  ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #728 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:43:10 pm »

I wouldn't call what I did on Sunday, "racing."
 ;D

« Reply #729 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »
Haha!! You took part in a 'race' however :)

« Reply #730 on: 02 May, 2012, 07:58:05 pm »
No wussy 'points' system for marathon runners either - if you complete a 100 mile ultra it's still only 1 marathon  :)
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #731 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:05:33 pm »
isn't that called 'going for a run'? Only real saddoes would worry about points for that.

« Reply #732 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:06:57 pm »
Unsupported trail running with at least one overnight is what they call 'fast packing', not heard of people doing it in the UK - it sort of appeals to me but suspect it's a bit tougher than Audax (you don't get to sit down most of the time for starters).

« Reply #733 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:15:00 pm »

I wouldn't call what I did on Sunday, "racing."
 ;D

Well I call my attempt 'racing' though I did notice my average pace was actually slower than my longest training run  :)

« Reply #734 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »
Unsupported trail running with at least one overnight is what they call 'fast packing', not heard of people doing it in the UK - it sort of appeals to me but suspect it's a bit tougher than Audax (you don't get to sit down most of the time for starters).

I call it all, "travelling on foot," or even just going out and having fun. I'd just take a bag of stuff and a wallet full of cash and see what I feel like doing.
Running seems similar to cycling, that every style has to have a category and sub culture.

isn't that called 'going for a run'? Only real saddoes would worry about points for that.

All I did on Sunday was "go for a run." I never raced anyone, I just wanted to do the event and enjoy it as much as I could. I never got any points as far as I know, nor do I care.
I can't see what is sad about someone going for a run of marathon distance for the purpose of collecting points or whatever purpose they see fit. They could go out to do their fastest marathon without all the crowds, same as they could enter a proper marathon race event and just run round it like I did. Who cares? Whatever inspires people to go and do and who am I to tell other people what is sad or not. I think it's sad if people don't do it, whatever it may be. Doing it as an event made it easier for me. I saw it as a starting point. The same as Audax was my starting point at long distance cycling.
I enjoyed the crowds and atmosphere and did my longest ever run. I'm just a fun runner, not a competitor (the race winner could probably hop backwards faster than I can run). I run (and cycle) for my life, not just for the sake of events, which are just a part of my life.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #735 on: 05 May, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »
Here is the only sport result that matters this year:
37   Matt    23:23
61   Nik W   25:29

I thought Nik would do better with all that training he did last week, but I reckon he did his best.

I can now retire happy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #736 on: 05 May, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »
Here is the only sport result that matters this year:
37   Matt    23:23
61   Nik W   25:29

I thought Nik would do better with all that training he did last week, but I reckon he did his best.

I can now retire happy.

Hmmmph - well I was 4th in my age category and you weren't even in it, so there!

« Reply #737 on: 10 May, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »
Ankle is finally fixed. Physio gave me theraband exercises to do and a load of calf and hamstring stretches. She said no running for 3 weeks, but my fixie got a puncture, my tandem was in the shop, my wife was using the trike, and my tourer was missing a chain. Had no choice but to run the 12 miles to work and back, did I? Done it twice since, and whereas before, I could feel a difference between my feet, even when the ankle wasn't sore, they now feel the same.

It's lucky it is fixed, because the footpath I run in on is a quagmire what with all the rain. Where it drops down into a village, I had to skate down this morning where the MTBers have churned up the whole path.

So I just entered the Fairlands Valley 50km. Got to have something to aim for.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #738 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »
She said no running for 3 weeks,

...Had no choice but to run the 12 miles to work and back, did I? Done it twice since, ...

So I just entered the Fairlands Valley 50km. Got to have something to aim for.
Good grief, that's only 2 months away! I hope you're building up sensibly; maybe a marathon this weekend?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #739 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:27:20 pm »
Probably not sensibly. I've done consecutive 50 mile weeks (whilst injured but before I saw the physio) okay that have included half-marathons, but I know I'm going to have to get organised.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #740 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:39:00 pm »
I'm rather jealous of a 50-mile week whilst injured!

My progress is a bit confused at the mo, despite my epic vanquishing of Nik last week. My legs are fine* on a 25min flat-out blast (HR160ave-ish), but if I try a steadier pace (HR 130-140) I can't manage 40mins without various pains of the type I choose not to push through.
This is off a few months of sporadic runs punctuated by big bike miles. I think I need frequency, so I'm aiming to run at least 10 mins, 5 times a week from now on - treat it like building up after injury.

(It's possible that my gait is more efficient when i run fast. So I'm doing some longer sessions as fast run-walk.  )

*Tired/achy, but in healthy ways!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #741 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »
Much like on the bike, I'm very much slow and steady, and never push it. My normal pace on my 6 mile route into work is 8.45 min/mile (rucksack with lunch/clothes,etc, over mixed terrain). Since I shortened my stride length and changed my strike, my pace has really dropped, but I feel much better. I doubt I could run a 45min 10km at the mo. It's difficult to think of myself as a runner - audaxer who plods a bit faster than walking is how I think of myself.

I just downloaded a training plan from http://www.scrunners.org/ultrasch.php

It shouldn't be too difficult for the next few weeks at least. The struggle will be to fit in the longer runs. I can get away with doing 10 miles each way to work, plus a lunchtime 10km, but I doubt I'll find the time to do more than a couple of 18 mile runs. Hopefully it''ll work like audaxing - my SR was on the back of just riding to work and back.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #742 on: 10 May, 2012, 01:56:06 pm »
Crikey. It'll be quite a mental test to do a 31mile "training run" !

Looks like your recent 50-mile weeks put you well on track for the event  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #743 on: 10 May, 2012, 02:53:23 pm »
You guys train in very peculiar ways.

Nice choice on the Fairlands Valley one, hope the weather is kind that day for the BBQ!

Matt- what 'progress' are you after? Faster 5ks?

« Reply #744 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:03:26 pm »
You guys train in very peculiar ways.

Nice choice on the Fairlands Valley one, hope the weather is kind that day for the BBQ!

Well you are the expert - please clue me in!

« Reply #745 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:09:05 pm »
LOL, I'm not an expert. I don't think anyone in ultra running can call themselves an expert as what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another......

Coach/PT yes, expert, no lol.

Plus, it totally depends on what you want from things. A good time on the clock, a good time during the event, somewhere in between, a 'get round in pain with as little training as possible' or 'get round feeling comfortable but having to train more' scenario.

None of these I am saying are right or wrong btw....!!!

« Reply #746 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:16:36 pm »
Primary motivation is definitely "get around in as little pain as possible". My "training" can rarely exceed 2x 1hr per day, so I'm just fitting in the miles I can. I am hoping that 6 miles each way to work, plus the occasional longer run will be sufficient for 50km. To paraphrase Murakami, I want to be able to say "at least I didn't walk".

« Reply #747 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:22:17 pm »
Long runs are without doubt the most important element, rather than the 6 mile runs to work.

Really, you need to be doing a long run one day (18-20+), with a 10ish mile run either the day before or day after a few times. I guess you can use 2 x 6m runs instead of a 10 the day before/after a long run, but 2 x 5 mile runs does not equal a 10 mile run in terms of training effect.

« Reply #748 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »
Very tricky to bunk off for a couple of hours of running with a young family though. Might have to be a bit creative.

« Reply #749 on: 10 May, 2012, 03:53:34 pm »
Potentially - though I tend to have to help get them out of the house. It'll be more of a case of skipping lunch and getting in late / leaving early.