Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 431789 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1000 on: 05 March, 2013, 06:33:16 pm »
i've had a hate / hate relationship with running for ages but was bullied into entering two longish triathlons this year and, remembering my miserable 1/2 IM a few years ago (2.30 half marathon) thought I should try and get better at my least favourite part...

I bought a book! (Hansons Marathon Method, although I have no plans to run a marathon this year...)

& I realised how stupid I've been - I've been running too damn fast!  I could do 6 miles, but it'd be 5 or 6 minutes running @ 8.30 / 9.00 minute miles, then I'd need a minute walking to recover, then repeat till I get home, absolutely knackered.   And I kept getting injured. 

So I've slowed down to 10.30 / 11.00 minute miles and it's easy!  I ran for over an hour on sunday, and just been out for half an hour and it was easy and almost fun!

the books got me doing a month of easy runs, building up the weekly mileage then starting to bring in quicker runs at different intensity and times, so I'm going to try and stick with it and see where it gets me. I should at least lose some lard which will help with the cycling too.

But I do feel a bit of a fool.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1001 on: 06 March, 2013, 10:24:17 am »
Don't beat yourself up about it. Since I started getting into running less than a year ago, I've found pacing the hardest thing to get right.

I guess I probably had the same trouble with cycling once upon a time but I've been doing that for so long that I have a much better feel for it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1002 on: 07 March, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »
IMHO, most cyclists get over this problem quite quickly, cos we ride for much longer than we can run. If you're doing a ride of 2hrs or more, you learn about pacing pretty quickly! All day rides just can't be done at 'tempo'.

Also you can ride on the flat at almost no effort if you slow down enough, and it doesn't feel like 'stopping' - but if you stop to walk on a run it can feel like defeat!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1003 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:05:53 pm »
I don't think I have any trouble pacing myself at running and I think I do well pacing myself at cycling. That is untill I ride a short distance TT where I don't have a clue. On a short TT I usualy accellerate for all I'm worth then go straight into oxygen debt.
Maybe I should try using a HRM...

citoyen

« Reply #1004 on: 19 March, 2013, 03:34:47 pm »
Determined to get my Parkrun time under 20 minutes, so I think it's about time I did some proper training...

Hence I had a go at some intervals this lunchtime - 5x 1km at race pace with 2mins rest between each km (a plan I found on the internet designed for improving 5k times). First three splits were 3.47, 3.57, 3.57... but I got a bit slower after that... Bloody hard work, but kind of fun. I think I'll try to do that regularly.

Need to find a better spot for it though - the Embankment is a bit too busy at lunchtimes.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1005 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:33:10 am »
\o/

NHS Couch to 5K all finished!   :thumbsup:

(OK, so it took a fair bit longer than the planned nine weeks though....)

Now, what to do next?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1006 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:34:33 am »
5.1?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1007 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:25:10 am »
Yippee! I've finally found an effective DIY way to loosen my tight hip rotators (specifically myofascial release of piriformis/gluteus medius?), meaning I can increase my stride length.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0kxDkcpk22A&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0kxDkcpk22A&rel=1</a>

I found it a bit painful at first (masochists will enjoy it), but it doesn't hurt at all after a few days.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

BrianI

« Reply #1008 on: 08 April, 2013, 04:15:02 pm »
Did the NHS Couch to 5k+ "Stepping stone" podcast today.  Quite a fast paced run, but rather enjoyable.
Also mapped out the usual route that i've been using for the C25K  programme - by week 9 I was running 6.3km in the 30 minutes!

Also signed up for my local Park Run!   :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #1009 on: 09 April, 2013, 10:53:05 am »
Well done, Brian. That's really good progress.

« Reply #1010 on: 11 April, 2013, 06:36:23 am »
Apparently BSE is getting parkrun in "early summer". I make that about 6-10 weeks then to sort out my knee (again) & then me & No1Daughter, who is also running with Zombies, might get ourselves along there for that.

citoyen

« Reply #1011 on: 17 April, 2013, 04:12:13 pm »
Last night was a 5k TT, I wasn't mentally prepared for that, (and I'd have taken body pump/spinning a bit easier in the morning!) so really pleased with a decent 17.09.

Yeah, I'd be pretty pleased with that, even without the body pump/spinning.  ;D

Followed it up with a pretty good 18 miler before work today.

I was going to ask how you find the time, but as with cycling, I guess being quicker helps.

« Reply #1012 on: 17 April, 2013, 04:17:31 pm »
Out the door by 5am, jobs a good'un.

citoyen

« Reply #1013 on: 17 April, 2013, 04:28:09 pm »
Out the door by 5am, jobs a good'un.

How long does 18 miles take you? Under two hours? It would be nearer three hours for me.

« Reply #1014 on: 23 April, 2013, 02:39:28 pm »
Did the NHS Couch to 5k+ "Stepping stone" podcast today.  Quite a fast paced run, but rather enjoyable.
I tried that for the first time today. Not a success. I just couldn't get onto the beats. Part of it was that the rhythm didn't feel natural for my running style and part was that I'm really not into that sort of music. Mind, it was also my first run for three weeks and my knee is playing up so it probably wasn't a fair trial.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1015 on: 24 April, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »
Just before easter as a challenge to the middle aged spread, 3 friends and I arranged that we would each run 10k in a simultaneous marathon relay (OK, that's 2k short so someone had to draw the short straw.) We did it,with PB and longest runs for two of us. It was a sub 4h run too so we were quite pleased. Now we have decided to get more folk involved. It is purely a personal challenge in public - we have a brand new FB page where people can sign up to say they will do it and then post when they have. Our modes ambition is to do 100k next time round (in a couple of weeks) and then to build on this every 6 weeks or so.

Anyone can get involved. It is run under Audax rules, ie the credit is for doing it, not in any finishing order, time band or age related position. Web page at https://www.facebook.com/TheInternational10kRun
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1016 on: 24 April, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »
Back on the treadmill at work, starting back into it slowly.

20 mins at 6.6mph. HRmax of 181bpm (better than I'd expected).

The fan has disappeared from the gym so it's a little airless and stuffy in there, but better than nothing (and only £8 a month!)

Just need to lose 14kg to get back to what I was about 4 years ago (in the run up to LEL).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

David Martin

« Reply #1017 on: 27 April, 2013, 02:14:31 pm »
Off to the Dundee Parkrun today. My first parkrun - what an excellent idea. It is quite a hilly course and downhills are not my thing, but I found my pace, struggled a bit towards the end on top of my third consecutive day of running having done very little. Made it round in 28.30ish (according to the strava segment) with which I was quite pleased. Unfortunately it was a bit muddy. i decided that it would be a good plan to get a second pair of shoes so that I have a gym pair and an outdoor pair so stopped off at the running shop just up the road from me and am now the proud owner of a pair of Saucony Jazz. They fit like a glove and the shop owner (who I have seen around and about at many events anyway) let me try them outside as it was clean and dry.)  First run with them will be Monday I think. Ride to work and run home.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1018 on: 27 April, 2013, 02:22:20 pm »
Off to the Dundee Parkrun today. My first parkrun - what an excellent idea. It is quite a hilly course and downhills are not my thing, but I found my pace, struggled a bit towards the end on top of my third consecutive day of running having done very little.
They're great aren't they :)

I've rediscovered our local today - haven't run it since October due to flooding, and I got fed up of checking the status. reeeeally enjoyed myself (despite temps back to March levels :( )

Not sure about 3 days in a row all-of-a-sudden David - running is a harsh mistress, don't do too much too soon  :hand:

[I'm also not remotely sure about any product name incorporating 'Jazz', but as long as you're happy ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

David Martin

« Reply #1019 on: 27 April, 2013, 02:27:03 pm »
Well it wasn't really intended. I ran home on Thursday, then discovered that Friday was run to work day, so it would be rude not to, then today was the parkrun. Rest day tomorrow.

citoyen

« Reply #1020 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:42:08 pm »
I was on marshalling duty this morning - saving my legs for tomorrow's tri. It's good to see parkrun from a different angle for a change, and helps you appreciate just how good they are. I enjoyed clapping and cheering everyone on, and in the end, accompanied the tail-ender back to the finish for the final km - she took about 45mins overall, which she was quite pleased with and rightly so, since it's a time trial, so a good time is what's good by your standards, not by anyone else's standards.

We've got a few new runs either just started or starting soon in Kent, so I'm aiming to become a parkrun tourist and try them all out. Some will involve a decent bike ride to get to the start too...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1021 on: 27 April, 2013, 04:56:23 pm »
Wot no tail-runner?

(Mind you, I guess events vary - I believe LC's has official pacers! )

WOOHOO: result just pinged onto my phone - 25sec PB!

Lots of long steady runs does actually make you faster :) I haven't done a timed event since January, and negligible interval stuff.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

David Martin

« Reply #1022 on: 27 April, 2013, 07:26:32 pm »
Result pinged on my phone too. 28:00 exactly! Pleased with that as my aim was sub 30 (or less than 2x the first home, which was 18 mins (they reckon this course is about 90-120 secs slower than a flat 5k.) and was just over half way up the field.

BrianI

« Reply #1023 on: 28 April, 2013, 08:26:21 am »
Well done David!

I've still to try my local-ish parkrun at Cramond. I've registered, got my park run barcordes, just needing to get motivated to try in one Saturday!   :)

« Reply #1024 on: 29 April, 2013, 10:51:52 am »
8K this morning, polished it off in 55.50, though I'm hideously overweight and I'm often surprised I get up any hills.

I'm doing the 2 castles 10K in June and am hoping i'll have kicked my ass enough to turn out a (just) sub 1 hour 10K.

Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.