Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 423653 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1075 on: 20 June, 2013, 10:48:00 pm »
You lucky bugger!

(&  :thumbsup: for a green healthy collection method)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1076 on: 21 June, 2013, 08:15:59 am »
Nice one, zigzag!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1077 on: 25 June, 2013, 04:41:03 pm »
Starting again (for the twelftieth time).

20 minutes on the treadmill at 10.5kph. HRmax at 179bpm so quite hard work. Didn't feel too bad and a bit easier given I'm under 90kg. Hopefully it'll get easier as the weight comes off.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1078 on: 15 July, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »
Hit a bit of a landmark on Saturday - my 50th Parkrun!

Looking forward to getting my nice red T-shirt. (Not sure what size to ask for though - does anyone know whether they come up big or small? Can't find any proper info on sizing anywhere.)

« Reply #1079 on: 30 July, 2013, 11:49:06 pm »
Got in tonight to find the village magazine on the doormat. A parkrun is starting in the village from September. I may be running out of excuses.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1080 on: 31 July, 2013, 12:31:01 pm »
Any thoughts on how to improve running style, specifically excessive heel strike?

I'm going to start again. Last time round, I built up the distance a little too quickly perhaps, and when at the stage where 10 km was comfortable, completely fractured my heel bone. Thought to be a combination of rubbish shoes, heel strike, and overly rapid build-up.

citoyen

« Reply #1081 on: 31 July, 2013, 01:00:48 pm »
Have you looked at Chi Running? I mentioned it upthread. My friend swears by it - since he adopted Chi Running principles, he claims to have both reduced injuries and increased speed. (I'm still a fair bit quicker than him though. ;D )

http://www.chirunning.com/

« Reply #1082 on: 31 July, 2013, 09:10:36 pm »
Have you looked at Chi Running? I mentioned it upthread. My friend swears by it - since he adopted Chi Running principles, he claims to have both reduced injuries and increased speed. (I'm still a fair bit quicker than him though. ;D )

http://www.chirunning.com/

I'll give it a read later, thanks. My Pilates place has a physio who does running classes, I'm waiting for the next one to be scheduled.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1083 on: 01 August, 2013, 08:33:28 am »
Oops, looks like my running-fu has fu off and ran away :-/  Not ran in months now!   ::-)

« Reply #1084 on: 01 August, 2013, 06:29:34 pm »
These Parkrun things.  What are they like to take part in? Friendly? Ultra-competitive?
As mentioned up thread, there's one starting in my village. I was discussing this with a friend at work who's rather more of a runner than me, but she says she's slow (must be 'and stead' because she's done several half-marathons) and didn't want to be finishing ages after everyone else.
I'd be hoping for a time around 30 minutes.

citoyen

« Reply #1085 on: 02 August, 2013, 11:57:18 am »
These Parkrun things.  What are they like to take part in? Friendly? Ultra-competitive?

Both!

As a participant, I tend to be quite competitive - I'll never win outright, but there are a few regulars who run around the same time as me and we always try to beat each other. But in a very good-natured way. It's always handshakes and congratulations all round at the finish.

As a helper, I cheer on everyone equally from the fastest to the slowest. On a couple of occasions, I've accompanied the back marker through the last kilometre or so, giving them encouragement all the way.

And I can assure you that if you run around 30 minutes, you will be far from the slowest (times on my local parkrun tend to range from 17 to 40 minutes).

« Reply #1086 on: 03 August, 2013, 04:26:30 pm »
Thanks citoyen

I'll pass the message on.

citoyen

« Reply #1087 on: 05 August, 2013, 03:05:03 pm »
Question for the likes of Lady C, Oranj, or any of you other longer-distance runners...

What do you do for hydration?

I went for an 18km/90mins run in the woods yesterday. I didn't take anything to drink with me and there was nowhere to get anything en route, so I had to manage without. I just about got away with it but it's probably not the most sensible policy. I certainly wouldn't want to go any longer than that without having access to liquid.

I thought about using my Camelbak, but didn't fancy having that weight on my back. Maybe I should give it a go.

Are those belts with holsters for water bottles any good?

JJ

« Reply #1088 on: 06 August, 2013, 02:05:52 pm »
David,
as you know I'm not in the same league as those guys, but I pushed it out to 30K a couple of weeks ago ahead of a race and I need to get in some more long-ish ones in the weeks ahead, so I'm interested.

I've been scavenging those 500ml Coke bottles from people who drink the stuff at work, and running with one of those full of electrolyte in my hand.  When it's empty, I just dump it in a waste bin, or in someone's recycling bin - round here, they're blue.

In the hottest weather, I found that wasn't enough and begged water from strangers in their gardens.

Some folk I know go round the morning or the evening before by bike, and stash bottles in hedges.  I was thinking of trying that.  It might work quite well with the disposable scavenged bottle approach.  In fact I meant to do that today, but I didn't get going early enough  ::-)

I also carry a couple of Isogel sachets, as they claim not to need as much water to go with them, but I don't really know if that makes sense given I am presumably just carrying the extra water in the gel anyway.

Interested to hear other's approaches.

citoyen

« Reply #1089 on: 06 August, 2013, 02:32:50 pm »
In the hottest weather, I found that wasn't enough and begged water from strangers in their gardens.

I like your thinking!

Some folk I know go round the morning or the evening before by bike, and stash bottles in hedges.

I had a similar idea - my route on Sunday was a "lollipop" (out and back with a loop at the end) and I thought of taking a bottle with me and stashing it in a hedge at the start of the loop, to pick up on the way back, but I was a bit wary of doing that - you never know what creatures might have a go at it, or do their doings on it...

I think maybe I'll just have to use my Camelbak and get used to it. It's what it's for, to be fair. There's also space in my Osprey Talon backpack to fit a hydration bladder, so I can use that too - it might be more comfortable to run with than the Camelbak as it has more in the way of supporting straps.

« Reply #1090 on: 06 August, 2013, 03:35:20 pm »
I thought it was de rigour to carry these:

All the ladies walking 'briskly' round Needham Lake have them. (I overtake them on my way back from the shop, but they must be doing it properly as they've trainers and water bottles).

(more here)

citoyen

« Reply #1091 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:35:53 pm »
I thought it was de rigour to carry these:

I don't like having to carry stuff. I like to have my hands free for things like waving flirtatiously at lady runners, running through my hair (while I still have some), adjusting my shorts/scratching my bum etc. JJ's suggestion of disposable bottles would be better, except there are no bins in the woods...

Having said that, some of the bottles in that piece you've linked to do look quite nifty.

All the ladies walking 'briskly' round Needham Lake have them. (I overtake them on my way back from the shop, but they must be doing it properly as they've trainers and water bottles).

;D

JJ

« Reply #1092 on: 06 August, 2013, 06:11:22 pm »
Do you take your hands out of your shorts before waving flirtatiously?

citoyen

« Reply #1093 on: 07 August, 2013, 10:44:40 am »
Rather than answer that, I shall steer the conversation in another direction...

I was woken at an unearthly 3.30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so I put the telly on to have a look at some news and came across Channel 4 coverage of the World Trail Running Championships, held recently in Wales. I think it's a sign of how far my attitude towards running has changed over the last year or so that I thought it looked like rather good fun!
http://worldtrailwales2013.org/

The route was five laps of a 15km circuit, with two aid stations along the way. As regards feeding, some of the runners were picking up bottles and carrying them (at least as far as the next aid station), so I guess that answers that question. I was slightly surprised to see that some were actually stopping at the stations and having a drink before carrying on but I suppose when you're running that kind of distance, occasionally stopping for a minute or two makes sense

The winner - the appropriately named Ricky Lightfoot - finished in an astonishingly quick three and a half hours, ten minutes ahead of the chap in second place. Some French dude finished third, looking in a right state after having fallen late in the race and gashed his knee quite badly. I thought it looked like he wasn't going to be able to carry on, so chapeau to him for finishing at all, never mind on the podium.

Seeing that has made me quite excited about The Beauty & The Beast trail marathon I'm doing in September.

JJ

« Reply #1094 on: 07 August, 2013, 11:40:13 am »
<snip> 
thought it looked like rather good fun!
<snip>
quite excited about The Beauty & The Beast trail marathon I'm doing in September.

Oh dear, oh dear!  ::-)
You're a lost cause!

« Reply #1095 on: 07 August, 2013, 12:07:28 pm »
Hmm.

5 laps of a 15km circuit = 75km

Winner did it in 3 and a half hours?

Are you sure? That's sub 2h marathon pace.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

« Reply #1096 on: 07 August, 2013, 12:09:31 pm »
Oops! I meant about five and a half hours.

Which is still bloody quick, especially over that terrain.

« Reply #1097 on: 11 August, 2013, 09:40:04 pm »
So, I've acquired a Forerunner and one of the things I understand you can do with it is to upload a training plan. Given that last time I ran, I probably increased the distance fairly quickly and ended up with a heel fracture I'd like to proceed cautiously.

Any recommendations for sources of training plans? I suppose the goal is more to improve fitness than to achieve any particular distance or time. I don't have a HRM strap but I suppose I could get one if it helped. I'm registered on Garmin Connect and all that.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1098 on: 12 August, 2013, 09:08:06 am »
You do not need a Garmin to avoid over-ambitious increases in distance.

(That's not answering your question, sorry - but there are loads of training plans on the web. If you look at a couple you'll see they're pretty similar in the main, just the details change. You can't go TOO far wrong ... until you choose to ignore it  ;) )

I'd rate HRM training as miles more useful than logging your routes/distances. But people love their distance logs, online doubly so.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1099 on: 12 August, 2013, 09:57:30 am »
Zombies. It's all about the zombies.