Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 433698 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1100 on: 12 August, 2013, 10:34:36 am »
You do not need a Garmin to avoid over-ambitious increases in distance.

I know, but it would be handy to make use of the vibrating alerts on the forerunner to switch from walking, change of pace, etc. I realise it's just a gadget but hopefully it'll make it more interesting and I do like to be able to see evidence of improvement, if any, on my 'puter.

Zombies. It's all about the zombies.

:) Thanks, looks good but I need to use this forerunner rather than my Android phone. Mind you, initial playing about seems to indicate that the phone gets a sat fix faster than the Forerunner, but hopefully that will improve when I actually leave the house.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1101 on: 16 August, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »
I've just been there! Started a job just down the road today - I'd completely forgotten about the event ("it's in August sometime ... I think") until I passed the yellow signs.

Very low key event. There were quite possibly more runners than supporters. I still have no interest in running round in such short circles for any period. The practical advantages did become obvious though - you're never more than a few minutes from a feed station, you can order food from your helper and collect it from them just 400m later. And it's easy to get to race control, hear announcements, etc etc. Hardy any marshals required!

Most 'runners' on Day5 were making those on Hour5 look positively frisky. I didn't get as excited as Oranj watching (and certainly didn't last an hour  ;D ), but it was intristin; I chatted to a lonely WAG who showed me round and pointed out the leaders and a few other notables.

May pop over for the finish. (I cannot deny wanting to see how tired they will look ..)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1102 on: 18 August, 2013, 05:21:42 pm »
First run in yonks this afternoon.
Did NHS Couch to 5K programme, week 6 run 3, so 5 min warm up, 25 mins run, 5 mins cool down.
Didn't feel to difficult, and somewhat enjoyable!   :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1103 on: 19 August, 2013, 11:47:57 am »
Just done my longest ever run - 21.7km. Yay!

And according to my gps track, I clocked the half marathon in 1hr 58m, which I'm very pleased with - especially as it was in the woods, ie offroad trails.
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/232852087/5065481
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1104 on: 24 August, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »
Just done my 1st run in about 10yrs  :)

3.96miles in 30.17mins @7.39min/mile.

Mile 1 6.46mins - going well
Mile 2 7.18mins - slowing down
Mile 3 7.51mins - seizing up
Mile 4 8.45mins - hobbling

That's the hard part done, now to recover & get back out on Wednesday which will be my 1st opportunity to run again. 

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1105 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
2nd run: just a short bash down to the marina & back.

2.01miles in 13.05mins @6.31min/mile.

Mile 1 6.36mins - going well
Mile 2 6.24mins - pushing hard

My legs & achilles are still a little tight  :(. So I'll try another long & steady run on Saturday. 
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1106 on: 29 August, 2013, 08:52:16 am »
I needed a new goal after I didn't go to the LEL so I've signed up for 1/2 marathon Oct.20.
I have now been out 5 times over the last 2 weeks. Distances are still 4-8 km but slowly going to increase.
The tempo range from 5.15min/km up to 6.30min/km, hoping to run around 6.05min/km for the 1/2 marathon.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1107 on: 29 August, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »
Which half have you signed up for Gus  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1108 on: 29 August, 2013, 06:13:44 pm »
Which half have you signed up for Gus  ???
THe first 21,1  :o

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1109 on: 08 September, 2013, 10:08:26 pm »
had the most enjoyable parkrun yesterday after four months break - the first edition at southwark park!
"Southwark results for event #1. Your time was 19:02. Congratulations on completing your 11th parkrun and your 1st at Southwark today. You finished in 12th place and were the 12th gent out of a field of 150 parkrunners and you came 5th in your age category SM30-34. As this is your first run at this event we have set your PB."

citoyen

« Reply #1110 on: 10 September, 2013, 12:58:55 pm »
had the most enjoyable parkrun yesterday after four months break - the first edition at southwark park!
"Southwark results for event #1. Your time was 19:02. Congratulations on completing your 11th parkrun and your 1st at Southwark today. You finished in 12th place and were the 12th gent out of a field of 150 parkrunners and you came 5th in your age category SM30-34. As this is your first run at this event we have set your PB."

Nice one! Southwark Park is where I usually head to on my lunchtime runs - there and back with a loop of the park. It's pretty darn flat, but that's an impressive time none the less.

I did the first ever Weymouth Parkrun the week before last - would have been silly not to, as we were camping just up the coast near Bridport. I also got in a few runs along the stretch of coast by the campsite. Some tasty hills there! I did several climbs of Thorncombe Beacon, which has a viciously steep final 200 metres or so. I managed to knock about 40 seconds off my time going up it over the course of a week, which I was quite pleased with, though if I'd had more time to spare for running, I'd have done some longer runs further up the coast to take in Golden Cap. Already thinking of booking a return visit...

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #1111 on: 15 September, 2013, 04:45:15 pm »
I was convinced cycling did nothing for my running. Worked up to the Rough Diamond 300 in August, and only did occasional runs to keep my hand (foot?) in. I traditionally take 6 months off over the winter...

Just got a PB - a shade under 1:54 -  in the Bristol half marathon   ;D

Must be the cake! Glycogen and all that.

(Whether my legs will work enough to attempt the Chepstow 200 next weekend is another matter)

citoyen

« Reply #1112 on: 27 September, 2013, 11:26:52 am »
It was the Beauty & The Beast last weekend. The full marathon was six laps of a 7km course through West Wycombe Park, just outside High Wycombe. Here's the route on Strava:
http://www.strava.com/segments/5563291

I didn't run the full marathon myself - entered as a team of three, so I ran the first and fourth laps. Really lovely event - not too big (only 400-and-something runners in total), beautiful setting, perfect weather (not too warm or cold, a brief spell of light rain), nicely varied route with some fairly tough hills but nothing too obscene. One small surprise in the shape of a ford!

My first lap was 37 minutes. I went off far too quickly so struggled a bit in the latter stages. For my second lap, I made a conscious effort to set off at a more moderate pace, but that turned out to be the wrong policy because I didn't manage to run any quicker over the latter stages of the lap and ended up two minutes slower than my first lap. Pah!

Our team did OK, finishing in 3hrs 55mins. We might have been quicker but one of my team-mates was carrying a leg injury that had prevented him training and slowed him down quite badly on the day. Still, very happy with that, and we finished 9th overall out of 116 finishers (including all teams and solo runners - we were only beaten by two solo runners!).

A full marathon is one of my targets for next year. I didn't even bother trying for London - an event that big doesn't appeal, tbh. Brighton is also out - standard entries already oversubscribed and I have no interest in running for charity.

Can anyone recommend any other good marathons, preferably in the southeast? Niceness of route trumps all other considerations. Bearing that last stipulation in mind, I'm actually thinking of entering the B&B again and doing the full marathon solo, though I'm slightly wary of doing such a tough event as my first full marathon. But hey, maybe by next September, it won't be my first... I'll definitely do at least the half marathon.

Oh, and I think the training for the B&B must have done my general running some good because I went out for a 10k yesterday lunchtime and managed 45.23, which is actually my second best time over the distance ever - and that's in spite of the route being very busy in places, and having to slow down to cross a busy road.  :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #1113 on: 27 September, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »
Ooh, think I've found one...
http://www.hermesrunning.com/

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1114 on: 18 October, 2013, 06:46:36 am »
Went to a free talk last night at my local club, by a lady from Run3D (who are based at "the 4 minute mile" track!)."Injury Prevention for runners".

It was pretty short, so was mainly about concepts and a few common weaknesses-and fixes. But she had some great easy-to-understand graphics (no pie charts, sadly)

Most controversial statement: there is little or no evidence to support the use of foam-rollers on IT bands  :o

(Meanwhile, I resisted pointing out that I've been out injured for 5 months, yet have only missed a week off the bike ever, and that after 1400km-in-5-days.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1115 on: 18 October, 2013, 08:30:22 am »
Most controversial statement: there is little or no evidence to support the use of foam-rollers on IT bands  :o
:o
And yet it's recommended by physios and osteopaths all over?

In other news: No1Daughter & I are doing our first parkrun this weekend. OMG, that's tomorrow. Yikes.
We fully expect to finish pretty much last, around the 40-45 minute mark. (I'm far too fat to run 5k without a heart attack, and No1Daughter <spit> smokes <spit>, so it'll be walk-run-walk-run for us). We're viewing it as a base line assessment, where the only way is, to quote Yazz, up.

citoyen

« Reply #1116 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:05:46 am »
In other news: No1Daughter & I are doing our first parkrun this weekend. OMG, that's tomorrow. Yikes.

Good luck! The good thing about Parkrun is that there's no pressure to perform, but there's lots of support and encouragement, so hopefully that will make it less of an ordeal.

(Meanwhile, I resisted pointing out that I've been out injured for 5 months, yet have only missed a week off the bike ever, and that after 1400km-in-5-days.)

I've not run at all for two weeks - giving my legs a rest. Recently, I've been waking up with severe calf stiffness in my left leg, and first thing in the morning it's painful even walking down stairs, though it seems to wear off as the day progresses. I'm pretty sure this is running related. I've been doing a lot more in the way of post-run stretches and warm-downs lately but it's having limited effect. I think I need to go for another massage.

Ironically, although my running has exacerbated my calf problems, I think it's actually a recurrence of an old injury that I picked up on the Beast From The East 600 two and a half years ago - buggered my left achilles and could barely walk at all for a couple of weeks after that. But yes, on the whole, I don't get nearly so many physical side effects from cycling as I do from running. Running really does punish the body.

« Reply #1117 on: 19 October, 2013, 11:13:13 am »
Bugger. No1Daughter DNF (late night, new tattoo, grass is harder work than pavements, sore feet, generally feeling crappy) so pulled out after the first lap, but I wasn't last (goal #1 achieved) & unfortunately managed 39:59 so can't aim for "sub 40" next time. :facepalm: I walked much more on the first lap than I would have done solo- giving me a massive negative split. I reckon I should be at least 5 minutes faster next time (in 3 weeks).
How soon should I expect to be able to run it all? I'm only 3 weeks into "running" with any regularity, so would another 3 weeks have me running the lot?

« Reply #1118 on: 19 October, 2013, 11:22:02 am »
L, I wouldn't be in any hurry.  If you are not running much in between times, then I should just aim at getting round.  If you try too hard to run it all you are asking for knee and lower back problems.  It might just be that you run it all the very next time (and that's fine) but I think it would be wisest just to let it happen when it happens, which it is bound to do providing you don't get injured!  Sorry if I sound a bit wary but I wanted to return to running myself a couple of years ago.  After a scan on a knee (arthritic thanks to rugby injury and operation as youth) I was told not to run at all, which was a blow.  Thank heavens for cycling!

Good luck!

peter

« Reply #1119 on: 19 October, 2013, 03:36:41 pm »
I'm "running" 3 times a week, it's just I have stuff the next couple of weekends so won't be home for the Parkrun.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1120 on: 02 November, 2013, 10:52:27 am »
set my new personal worst on the parkrun today! all-you-can-eat curry dinner followed by two pints of beer the night before and going to bed at 3am had nothing to do with that, no. :)

« Reply #1121 on: 09 November, 2013, 01:55:18 pm »
managed 39:59 so can't aim for "sub 40" next time. :facepalm:
I reckon I should be at least 5 minutes faster next time (in 3 weeks).
34:58. :D

citoyen

« Reply #1122 on: 11 November, 2013, 12:26:11 pm »
Good work, fboab. You'll be sub-30 before you know it!  :thumbsup:

I've completely lost my running mojo and struggled badly at parkrun this week. I went off at 22 min pace as planned but ran out of steam very quickly and struggled in the middle 3km. I managed to find a bit of juice in the reserve tank for a sprint finish but came in just over 24 mins. Still a respectable time, obviously, but it's a little disheartening that after getting closer and closer over several months to my long-term goal of a sub-20, that target is now receding into the distance.

The calf is still a little tender, but I don't think that's the cause of my difficulties - I think I'm just a bit out of shape generally. I've not been cycling much lately either, which I'm sure isn't helping.

A few new parkruns have started in Kent recently so I'm hoping to rediscover my mojo by trying some of them out - a change being as good as a rest, and all that. Plus they're all about 20-35 miles away, a good distance for riding to the start, so a good excuse to get some cycling in - two birds with one stone, and all that.

« Reply #1123 on: 11 November, 2013, 12:50:38 pm »
I reckon I should gain a minute each time I do it, now. (I still can't run the whole way) I was even wondering about taking a pair of trainers to the AUKAGM next weekend to do the York one, but Chris gave me a look.

Runners are much more injury prone than cyclists, though. I've never been to a cycling event where the pre ride pep talk included "and when you're injured, don't forget you can still be involved as a volunteer".

As far as the actual cross-training benefit is concerned, I've heard of people running off their cycling fitness (in fact, I think trio25 said this the first time we met her) and I can safely say that just couldn't happen here- presumably because of the excess lard. Instead I seem to be getting a huge aerobic fitness boost from panting around the streets at night, which is grand, as that was/is kind of the point.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1124 on: 11 November, 2013, 04:14:31 pm »
Runners are much more injury prone than cyclists, though. I've never been to a cycling event where the pre ride pep talk included "and when you're injured, don't forget you can still be involved as a volunteer".

;D

This seems be fairly well accepted, but some still disagree. Your quote is the best succinct evidence I have seen, must remember that  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------