Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 401200 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #150 on: 15 September, 2009, 10:20:59 pm »
if i was going to run a marathon, that one sounds great!

« Reply #151 on: 15 September, 2009, 10:22:33 pm »
if i was going to run a marathon, that one sounds great!

Andy, we're only waiting for your link to enter a team yACF!  ;)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #152 on: 15 September, 2009, 10:23:29 pm »
I'm still building distance, going from being unable to run for a bus last October to being unable to run more than 5km now.  Still, I can at least run now, although I've not yet managed much below a 10 minute mile.

Which thankfully makes me far too slow to be part of the yACF marathon team. ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #153 on: 15 September, 2009, 10:28:07 pm »
I am impressed. 

I have a note from my mum excusing me from being in the yacf Marathon Team, on account of my kit's in the wash, and I can't run without creating alarming respiratory noises and collupsing.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #154 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:33:40 pm »
Druid Challenge // The Druid Challenge Ridgeway Multistage Ultra :: XNRG Extreme Energy :: xnrg.co.uk // xnrg.org.uk

I'm in 10k form, but I know from practice that 10k form means I can pull a half-marathon out of my arse with a little luck and performance-enhancing pies.  So if I get into half-marathon form, clearly, I'm sorted.  Honest.  And it's Wayland and that's my happy place. 

Oh barmcakes, I'd forgotten about Dragon Hill.  :o

Still, tattooed biker totty has already promised to have a pint waiting at the Red Lion.  And I can always break into a walk.  Now, will it stay dry enough for the Fivefingers?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #155 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:37:16 pm »
Where do you climb up to the Ridgeway from ?

Once you're up there it's reasonably level.

I used to run into work the other way at one time.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #156 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:43:58 pm »
Haven't a clue.  Will await the race pack nearer the time; the stage starts at Wantage sports centre but that might just be the administrative start. 

Mmm, mandatory gear includes a space blanket.  I feel all boyscouty!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #157 on: 16 September, 2009, 12:08:46 am »
Druid Challenge // The Druid Challenge Ridgeway Multistage Ultra :: XNRG Extreme Energy :: xnrg.co.uk // xnrg.org.uk

That looks like fun.
Is there really going to be a YACF team?
I might have to google some bus companies to see if I can do it.
Then do a bit of running around to get used to running.

simonp

« Reply #158 on: 16 September, 2009, 12:53:31 am »
If I thought my knees would take it I would be tempted by a marathon.  It's my left knee.  She cannae take it cap'n.

A couple of weeks' training the last couple of Octobers got me down to 6'30 mile in time for Children Need the last few years.  Given how fit training for and riding LEL's got me I might be faster this year.

« Reply #159 on: 16 September, 2009, 11:13:12 am »
i

Wow it's an ultra marathon!! I thought you said "marathon"!

'Tis something I could be tempted to do though. Must check the time minima. Have ot most of the kit bar a whistle!

More later.

EDIT: Are you doing the 3-day or one leg only? If so, which?

« Reply #160 on: 16 September, 2009, 06:04:32 pm »
I'm getting ever more tempted.
If I do it, it'll be the Saturday one.
Logistics of getting to and from the start and finish are the biggest PITA for me. It'd be easier if it started and finished at the same place so that I could cycle there and cycle home afterwards.

« Reply #161 on: 16 September, 2009, 06:07:45 pm »
I'm getting ever more tempted.
If I do it, it'll be the Saturday one.
Logistics of getting to and from the start and finish are the biggest PITA for me. It'd be easier if it started and finished at the same place so that I could cycle there and cycle home afterwards.

you're getting soft!   Run with this on your back, then scoot home :)
Bergmönch, the Bicycle that Folds into a Rucksack : TreeHugger

« Reply #162 on: 16 September, 2009, 06:15:46 pm »
Getting soft?
Well, one idea I have is to do the run on Saturday and run back to my bike on Sunday.
Not sure I could do it though. I think the Saturday will probably do me in. I only run ran about 6 miles a week.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #163 on: 16 September, 2009, 06:34:44 pm »
I'm doing just the last day.  One marathon is enough for this little black duck! 

But yes, it's a three-day ultra with each day approximately a marathon along the Ridgeway, with sleepovers at the stops.  Kit is supported between bases.

« Reply #164 on: 17 September, 2009, 08:44:42 am »
I could be tempted with one day too; question of time and training. I haven't run longer than 3.5 hours with a light backpack though, in recent times. I'll mull over it at the WE and talk to the girls at home.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #165 on: 17 September, 2009, 10:35:55 am »
I ain't even done that.  A Half is my biggest, and that was kitless and on-road. 

« Reply #166 on: 17 September, 2009, 01:28:23 pm »
I ain't even done that.  A Half is my biggest, and that was kitless and on-road. 

Oh well, don't worry too much. You'll run slower off road anyway. I used to target the 80' mark for a half on the road. Off road and in the PD hills I can sometimes spend twice that, for a shorter distance even, due to the profile and my navigation skills maybe!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #167 on: 17 September, 2009, 04:21:22 pm »
Andy, that looks absolutely mental... so I am sure you'll do just fine!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #168 on: 05 October, 2009, 06:24:21 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( :'(

I'm going to have to skip the weights for a few weeks, while I get this marathon in.  The recovery times just add up to more than the clock time.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #169 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:39:28 am »
Heads up!  Aldi are doing running kit starting today.  Quality and price on a par with their bike gear (ideal starter / training stuff). 

« Reply #170 on: 19 October, 2009, 09:38:17 pm »
Lovely run yesterday, in the autumn sun, to break the many miles I do in the week on the bike AND to fit the little time (1h) I had too!

Don't know about Aldi kit, but running shoes need to be good ones to avoid injury, unless one is a super feather weight! Running with Adidas Supernovas at present: Great shoes!

« Reply #171 on: 23 October, 2009, 11:43:18 am »
I'm back to being optimistic again! Did a 10K race last Sunday, Cancer Research thing round trails in the grounds of Scone palace. Really nice course and I clocked 42+ minutes.  Quite pleased considering I'm not running more than twice a week and mostly in pain.

MRI scan on my Achilles this pm, and a road 10k at Jedburgh on Sunday - maybe I've turned a corner?

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #172 on: 24 October, 2009, 06:59:01 pm »
Well done Rich!

« Reply #173 on: 25 October, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »
My own Achille's heel is playing again. It is very stiff at the moment (right foot); I never feel it when I cycle and didn't feel it much when I did my long mountain runs in the summer, but last week and this week [this morning at least] it has been stiff, making some runs slightly uncomfortable. I guess I will not be up to scratch for an ultra race soon.  :( Hope to do a x-country next WE though!  :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #174 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:38:33 pm »
The splints of the shin of the DEVIL aborted my last long run today; I'm resting for a week.  Cue pre-race angst and fretting...   ::-)