Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400201 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #400 on: 17 March, 2010, 09:02:19 am »
Here is a classic event that might still be open for entries this year:

Dorset Doddle

The fact that it is in Dorset, is referred to as a 'Doddle'  and follows the undulations of the coast should give you an idea what to expect.  :demon:

I have not done the event itself but used the route for training and for many years "the Dorset training day" would appear ominously in the calendar around Easter.

H

« Reply #401 on: 17 March, 2010, 01:23:06 pm »

Dorset Doddle

The fact that it is in Dorset, is referred to as a 'Doddle'  and follows the undulations of the coast should give you an idea what to expect.  :demon:

I have not done the event itself but used the route for training and for many years "the Dorset training day" would appear ominously in the calendar around Easter.

H
I remember reading about this one last year in Anna Finn's blog, she gives the impression late entries may well be possible.  I'm definitely not going to attempt this this year

Nik
The lights were red, his brain was small - he hardly felt a thing at all.

« Reply #402 on: 17 March, 2010, 02:01:24 pm »
I've got a month to the Brighton Marathon. It's going to prove interesting.  Not looking for a fast time, just looking to finish.

I'm loving my GPS/HRM Decathlon Keymaze 700, it makes running far more interesting. Downloading the route into googlemaps, and then looking at my heart rate shoot off at the slightest exertion is fascinating.

« Reply #403 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »
36min on the treadmill tomorrow. Bag packed so I can't forget anything (like shorts that fit or change of clothes). Ugh.

Too busy yesterday but found time today. Least horrible I've felt so far, probably something to do with the new fan blowing cold air on my back the entire time and nice new equipment in the gym.

36 minutes at 6.6mph. HRavg of 178bpm and max at 186bpm. Much nicer.

Bumped into someone in the gym and got chatting about doing a marathon. Whilst warming up he was talking about entering one next year as he's finding running quite easy, he thinks he can do a 3.5 hour marathon (impressive as he didn't look in the best shape).

All was explained when he'd finished his warm up (I was already running by this point) and I watched as he slowly increased the speed towards 8mph and looked panicked. The old machines worked in kph. His easy 3h30 marathon was now a 3h30 nightmare or a 5h15m slog. He lasted 3 minutes at 8mph before stopping and mumbling something about "probably not over this cold I've had".

*snigger*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #404 on: 17 March, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »
This morning's run to work. It is easy to spot the gradient changes.
Click image for notes. Spot the steps to the observatory!

red lines are zone 4 boundaries.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #405 on: 17 March, 2010, 07:43:41 pm »

Dorset Doddle

H

If I wasn't in Italy, then that would be a good one for me to try.
I've ridden enough Wessex Audax to know that the Dorset Coast isn't a doddle.

Hummers

« Reply #406 on: 18 March, 2010, 12:39:06 am »
LDWA events calendar here.

There is always the Dartmoor Oerambulation,

H

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #407 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:48:21 am »
Actually those LDWA events look interesting, though there's precious few in Scotland.  The Lochalsh 30 Dirty Challenge (nearest to me) looks quite attractive, if expensive by hill running standards.

What are participants' views of runners?  I'd prefer to run rather than walk because I'm an impatient kind of guy   ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #408 on: 18 March, 2010, 11:04:38 am »
those LDWA events look  expensive
There's always one!            ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #409 on: 18 March, 2010, 01:10:47 pm »
My limited experience of LDWA events is that runners are usually a not large proportion of teh total entry and are well tolerated - some LDWA stalwarts are runners.

Usually a good indication if they have a separate start time for runners.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #410 on: 18 March, 2010, 03:17:47 pm »
I seem to be on some kind of exercise rollercoaster this year. Today's run:
Good news - 36min* running time (+some walking), no pain in muscles, joints or tendons
Bad news - I have my first running blister ever!

I could feel this coming on shorter runs this year, but I hoped the flesh was simply toughening up. My guess is that the new NB shoes are not exactly the same shape as the model they replace. This - combined with front-foot landings - has rubbed the skin on the inner edge of the ball. They do feel kinda tight in that area, right foot only.

I think I'll try my old shoes for a while, and get some new socks to replace the thread-bare pair. Maybe try some non-ortho insoles.

(What's the best short-term treatment for blisters?!?)

*Probably a PB for 2 years. I think.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #411 on: 18 March, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »
I seem to be on some kind of exercise rollercoaster this year. Today's run:
Good news - 36min* running time (+some walking), no pain in muscles, joints or tendons
Bad news - I have my first running blister ever!

I could feel this coming on shorter runs this year, but I hoped the flesh was simply toughening up. My guess is that the new NB shoes are not exactly the same shape as the model they replace. This - combined with front-foot landings - has rubbed the skin on the inner edge of the ball. They do feel kinda tight in that area, right foot only.

I think I'll try my old shoes for a while, and get some new socks to replace the thread-bare pair. Maybe try some non-ortho insoles.

(What's the best short-term treatment for blisters?!?)

*Probably a PB for 2 years. I think.
Well done!  36min can't be far off 5k.  Free entry 5k event every Saturday in Reading I see, ride to the start makes a good warm-up  :thumbsup:

I find it helps to alternate old and new shoes for a while till the old ones are truly dead and the new feel comfy.  If they feel tight shouldn't you just loosen the laces near the toe a bit?

Many committed runners own several pairs of socks and stop wearing the old ones well before their toes poke out the end  ;)

« Reply #412 on: 18 March, 2010, 06:37:34 pm »
LDWA events calendar here.

There is always the Dartmoor Oerambulation,

H

This one looks suitably gnarly and something I might be able to build up to

I never noticed the Dartmoor event allthough I never looked closely.
The one I linked to, I can probably get to and from with just one train and within 2 hours. Dartmoor would need a lot of travel time to and from the event.

Hummers

« Reply #413 on: 18 March, 2010, 07:27:37 pm »
I never noticed the Dartmoor event allthough I never looked closely.
The one I linked to, I can probably get to and from with just one train and within 2 hours. Dartmoor would need a lot of travel time to and from the event.

Sorry, I meant the Dartmoor Perambulation and it is not an LDWA event - think of it more as a perm.

A cracking walk nonetheless and it is worth meeting the person who set this up, Ian Kirkpatrick*, who is quite a character.

H

*Mention my name to Mrs Kirkpatrick at your peril.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #414 on: 19 March, 2010, 11:07:20 pm »

Dorset Doddle

H

Still open for entries. Apparently.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #415 on: 20 March, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »
And you're welcome to it.

Took the fivefingers onto the treadmill for the first time today, to practice speedwork.  All of a sudden the whole "increase cadence, shorten stride" thing -- and the move from a long forward stride component and lots of thigh power to a much shorter forward component and more butt power -- started to come together. 

Because legs aren't over-extending to near lock, it's knee-benign too. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #416 on: 20 March, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »

Took the fivefingers onto the treadmill for the first time today, to practice speedwork.  All of a sudden the whole "increase cadence, shorten stride" thing -- and the move from a long forward stride component and lots of thigh power to a much shorter forward component and more butt power -- started to come together. 

Because legs aren't over-extending to near lock, it's knee-benign too. :thumbsup:

And you're welcome to the treadmill. :P :D

The reason I only take little strides is because I don't have strong running legs that can handle giant steps (with apologies to Sting)
Big strides are for the strong and fast runners doing up to marathon distance, I would guess.
But for ultra distance, or weaklings like me, then the technique becomes closer to walking, which is probably a good way of describing my running; walking fast forward with a bit of a bounce.
Probably much better for a heavy dude too. I reckon you'll feel more comfortable if it is for you, so I'll leave you to be the judge.

« Reply #417 on: 20 March, 2010, 08:47:46 pm »
Sorry, I meant the Dartmoor Perambulation and it is not an LDWA event - think of it more as a perm.

A cracking walk nonetheless and it is worth meeting the person who set this up, Ian Kirkpatrick*, who is quite a character.

H

*Mention my name to Mrs Kirkpatrick at your peril.

Now that does look mighty tempting.
I see that some geezer called Mark Hummerstone was the 4th person to complete this. Anyone you know I wonder?
It doesn't seem to say how far it is. If there's no time limit, then that could be a goer for me. I like the "permanent" style of it, so I can do it when it's best for me.
Think I'll need to research before I run though, I think this is something that needs respect. Especially from a numpty like me.

Hummers

« Reply #418 on: 20 March, 2010, 10:52:20 pm »
It's 48 miles and you can take as long as you like.

I've taken 5 days to do it and I've also done it in just over 12 hours.

I think the record is 10 hours but he ran the whole thing.

H

« Reply #419 on: 21 March, 2010, 02:52:18 pm »
I ran the Roman Trail 10 miler today.  A beautiful day and great organisation but I was crap.  I hoped for 1:25 and got nearer 1:35, it's hillier than I remember but I was at least 5 mins faster last year  ???

My legs feel like they've hardly been used so I guess it was lack of of energy holding me back.  Maybe it's because I've had a bit of a cold or maybe because I ran out of beer last night and had to drink red wine instead.

Still I enjoyed squelching through all that mud and splashing through the River Coln  ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #420 on: 21 March, 2010, 09:21:37 pm »

I think I'm going to go I've gone for it. £6 entry for non LDWA plus £6 for the coach from Swanage to Weymouth in the morning. (The Doddle is from Weymouth to Swanage). Vague plan to ride down from London on Saturday, camp or stay at the Swanage YHA, run round (ha!) then train home Sunday evening. TBD.

Took the fivefingers onto the treadmill for the first time today, to practice speedwork.  All of a sudden the whole "increase cadence, shorten stride" thing -- and the move from a long forward stride component and lots of thigh power to a much shorter forward component and more butt power -- started to come together.  

Running in Richmond Park today, I was overtaken by a chap running barefoot. He was mainly on the grass though he spent some time on the path which alternates between sandy gravel and sand & pointy stones.

« Reply #421 on: 22 March, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »

I think I'm going to go I've gone for it. £6 entry for non LDWA plus £6 for the coach from Swanage to Weymouth in the morning. (The Doddle is from Weymouth to Swanage). Vague plan to ride down from London on Saturday, camp or stay at the Swanage YHA, run round (ha!) then train home Sunday evening. TBD.

You are a very brave man or something like that  :thumbsup:

Hummers

« Reply #422 on: 23 March, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

That will indeed be a quality weekend. There is a time limit of 12 hrs to get round the event which on the face of it, sounds very generous but then again, as the views become more spectacular in the last half, you may need to pause a while to take them all in.  ;)

Looking at the website, the fastest time last year was 5 hrs 24 mins so you have a target, dear boy.  :thumbsup:

It occurs to me that I am on holiday that week but back in the UK on the 18th......

H

Hummers

« Reply #423 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:30:52 am »
.... and I now have a pass to enter this event.

H

« Reply #424 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:32:33 am »
Oh dear, Tuesday isn't it. That means the running machine this afternoon. 40 minutes. Hohum.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."